Remove this Banner Ad

Danair

Premiership Player
Aug 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Re: The Trade Thread

Hey guys, just want to let you know that Damian Barrett said on twitter not long ago that your club now has "MASSIVE salary cap issues" and that the "AFL is all over it", he said this in relation to trade week so expect a massive influx of Calton supporters on your board over the next few days!:eek:

ST KILDA needs to pull the trigger in trade week to appease an AFL request to reduce its salary cap.

The Saints loom as a key player when the clubs converge today on Etihad Stadium given they have to shed a significant amount of cash from their salary cap by the end of the month.

Defender Sam Gilbert is the biggest name to have already been thrown out there along with out-of-contract pair Zac Dawson and Farren Ray.

AFL salary cap investigator Ken Wood has been a regular visitor to the Saints' Seaford base in recent weeks. He is understood to have found the Saints to be in breach of their salary cap but has given them room to move before the deadline of October 31.

So the Saints must move on players and they'll do so without a senior coach. New football boss Chris Pelchen will head the deals in trade week with the club at least still a week away from appointing a replacement for Ross Lyon.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...oms-for-st-kilda/story-fn69a32t-1226162472545

:rolleyes:

Lovett off the roll
McQualter
Eddy
Gardiner
Baker

+ possibly Gilbert, Dawson and Ray to get under? I know we love to stuff a few things up, but that is ALOT of money. Like what? :confused:

Wow how much money are we over?

Lovett- $350
McQualter- $2-50?
Gardiner- $200?
Baker- $200?

Thats at least 1 mil right there, all gone. Plus Roo veteran status so thats another 1.5Mil gone.

Surely were not under that much debt.

Something is not adding up.

Because if we believe Ross Lyon, we had enough money mid year to go after Mitch Clark. (Could quite possibly be bullshit to deflect the true intentions of his meeting earlier in the year.) And now we're apparently way way over?

My thoughts exactly, Benchy.

The club needs to be open and accountable on this issue. To the press and to the fans. Make it obvious that we have nothing to hide or be ashamed of.

It is easy to jump to conclusions about this, but the AFL would be reasonable about a non-recurring cost like Lovett's payout.

So our problem would probably concern payments to current contracts.

Unless the Lovett payout sent us over the cap and the AFL are forcing us to shed a player or two in a form of anal retentive bureaucracy, then they will sit back and criticise us because the 2012 contracts wont reach 92.5% :rolleyes:

Surely the lovett debacle has cost us a fair bit in legal fees? If the article is indeed correct and we do have to offload a player or 2 i wouldnt be against trading gilbert as I see him as very replaceable, whilst he has obvious talent, he bludgers the ball more often than not and is not much of a game breaker. ideally Id like to get a pick around the 20 mark, however i dont see us receiving this sort of compensation for him so perhaps a player swap? Gunston seems like a perfect fit and fair trade. Maybe they can chuck in Armstrong too as I rate him quite highly. Make it happen

TradeWeekRadio Trade Week Radio
Pelchen: "Our (salary) cap is in a strained position" #tradeweek

At least half a mill apparently.

I don't get it. Our major re-signings were done in 2009, or 2010. Contracts wouldn't have all been back-ended to squeeze them in, so I fail to understand how we've got to this situation.

Who knows what other back-ended contracts might spiral in 2012.

A good mate of mine suggested (Craig Hutchinson tweet?)....

a 4-way deal involving Carlton, Richmond and GWS.

Goddard to Carlton
Lucas, Bower & McLean to Richmond
Richmond's 1st rounder (12?) to GWS
Bower on-traded to GWS
Saints get a very early GWS pick.

He also suggest there may be some significant sanctions heading our way!!!!

Yea Martin Blake from The Age says its $500K. So you would think couple contracts by McQualter, Baker & Gardiner will ease the cap a fair amount... Dont think its as bad as Barrett is making it out to be.

I doubt very much that we are over the cap for 2011 - giving us until 31 October achieves nothing in the context of this season.

We need to keep in the back of our minds that we have accepted special assistance from Vlad to cover our shitty Jihad deal. IIRC with other teams getting additional funding, they are not permitted to pay 100% of the cap. Cuts in expenditure are required (including player payments).

Reading the article there are the words "to appease an AFL request to reduce its salary cap." The rest is just the media hacks just putting their own agenda on the story.

We need to keep in the back of our minds that we have accepted special assistance from Vlad to cover our shitty Jihad deal. IIRC with other tems getting additional funding, they are not permitted to pay 100% of the cap. Cuts in expenditure are required (including player payments).

I was thinking similar but thought 98 or 97% would suffice, not all the way to 92.5%

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yea Martin Blake from The Age says its $500K. So you would think couple contracts by McQualter, Baker & Gardiner will ease the cap a fair amount... Dont think its as bad as Barrett is making it out to be.
Isn't it for next year's cap though? So their contracts would be irrelevant?

We're not going to get an acceptable offer for Goddard unless it comes from GWS, they have to consider the peripheries. For example, not that i believe it, that rumour above if St Kilda were to accept it then there would be major implications and backlash from supporters and members.

Dawson, Ray and Peake would be the $500k easy, but it's going to be difficult to find suitors for all unless we practically give them away way below market value.

It doesn't make sense...I simply can not believe that we have cap issues? HOW?

Roo surely is our highest paid player and he is on the V list as of this year. We loose Lovett, Baker, Mini, Eddy and Gardi and we are still over WTF?

If it is true that we need to reduce our TPP to warrant a handout from the AFL then that is bullshit. I say **** it and move to the 'G and tell em to ram there handouts.

It's not like we are Norf or the Dogs and can't draw crowds. The handout is merely compensation from the AFL to put us in a position we would easily be in if we had a decent stadium deal.

How do injury payments count towards the cap?

I could be wrong but has something to do with a player being placed on the LTI and then because often a rookie is elevated they have to be paid match payments. If a rookie/rookies end up playing alot of matches then these extra match payments may not have been accounted for prior to the start of the year.
I am confused as to which year you are over in, is it this year or next?

"Basically our cap is in a strained position, that’s a fair assumption to make, but at the same time we’re not over the cap" (for 2011)

Not sure what Lenny's injury has to do with our cap issues (which appear to relate to 2012).

This morning "Andrew Krakouer's" manager said the clubs are not even sure what next years cap is.
Apparently they are waiting on some advice from the AFL today.

Bit dodgy heading into trade week.

Funniest thing that his manager said was that Krakwhore is worth $500K!!! He isnt even worth $250K

Q: Hello Brendan, here is a 3 or 4 year deal at as much money as we can afford, will you sign in before the weekend?

A1: Yes

Excellent, you will be the captain next year or the year after

A2: No

Ok. Hey GWS, you want him, give us pick 1 in the mini draft and pick 15 and he's all yours.

If the Saints management doesn't do this and we lose him next year (which we will if he chooses to reject a contract) it will be nothing short of gross incompetence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Meeting the Salary Cap

Remove this Banner Ad

Back