Meeting the Salary Cap

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldnt suprise me, been having a think about this and how the hell are we close to the salary cap for next year and im starting to think its just a Chris Pelchan ruse to get interest in the Saints players. Remember he is the master of trade week.

We get a extra $500K in contract next season.
Gardiner would have been on say $300-$350K
Bakes had part of his contract on vets list so say $150K goes into salary cap
McQualter would have probably been on $250K

So that’s a extra $1.25mil in just rough estimates. Yes few have signed again but surely not that much. We also don’t have Lovett’s payout on the books anymore. We also have more room for another veteran which will free up some more. Could it have just “leaked” by Chris & co so some of our mid-range players would sign on little less and save us money cos we were “close” to the salary cap?

Hmmm, interesting thoughts there. St Kilda recruited Pelchen for a reason - he's very good at his job. Seems like the conniving kind of fellow who could pull such a thing off.

There's no way St Kilda can go from being completely fine to under immense pressure in the space of a season, especially this season. We haven't recruited any new players (as of yet) and have lost 4. There have been what, 3 re-signings? The extra salary given to Simpkin, Armitage and Steven would not get near the cap space gained from player departures, let alone surpass it.

I think you may be on to something. :thumbsu:

Hmmm, interesting thoughts there. St Kilda recruited Pelchen for a reason - he's very good at his job. Seems like the conniving kind of fellow who could pull such a thing off.

There's no way St Kilda can go from being completely fine to under immense pressure in the space of a season, especially this season. We haven't recruited any new players (as of yet) and have lost 4. There have been what, 3 re-signings? The extra salary given to Simpkin, Armitage and Steven would not get near the cap space gained from player departures, let alone surpass it.

Thinking out loud here, but given players get a bonus for playing in Grand Final and that has to come under salary cap, and given the AFL forces you to play replay in a drawn GF do you reckon they would then force you to put the 2nd round of bonuses for playing in 2nd Grand Final under the salary cap? (id assume you'd have to pay them another bonus as technically it was a GF) Could explain why all sudden we are close when only few months ago we could afford to recruit a big fish...

Thinking out loud here, but given players get a bonus for playing in Grand Final and that has to come under salary cap, and given the AFL forces you to play replay in a drawn GF do you reckon they would then force you to put the 2nd round of bonuses for playing in 2nd Grand Final under the salary cap? (id assume you'd have to pay them another bonus as technically it was a GF) Could explain why all sudden we are close when only few months ago we could afford to recruit a big fish...

Logically no, as it is quite a large disadvantage for the clubs. Almost like getting kicked in the 'nads since they raised so much money for the AFL by creating the replay situation.

But who knows how Vlad and his cohorts think. Well, that is if they think at all....

Could it have just “leaked” by Chris & co so some of our mid-range players would sign on little less and save us money cos we were “close” to the salary cap?

Hasn't that Ken Wood bloke spent the last few weeks at Seaford? You would think there would have to be some merit in it for that to occur.

Pelchen is good at his job, particularly the make-up of player payments and the like. I think he is right man to sort this out for you guys, he left Hawthorn in great shape.

given players get a bonus for playing in Grand Final and that has to come under salary cap

Prize money for the finals allocated to the players is outside the cap.

As has been said before, the cap "pressure" has nothing to do with 2011.

Whilst I can see the logic with a Pechin leak - makes alot of sense in one respect - you'd have to wonder whether the club would want more negative media focus (at a time that we are trying to attract coaches and sponsors).

Prize money for the finals allocated to the players is outside the cap.

As has been said before, the cap "pressure" has nothing to do with 2011.

Whilst I can see the logic with a Pechin leak - makes alot of sense in one respect - you'd have to wonder whether the club would want more negative media focus (at a time that we are trying to attract coaches and sponsors).

Meant most players would have bonuses in their contracts for playing in a Grand Final, on top of the prize money they receive and those bonuses would have to come under the cap. Same as All Australian, B&F bonuses.

Meant most players would have bonuses in their contracts for playing in a Grand Final, on top of the prize money they receive and those bonuses would have to come under the cap. Same as All Australian, B&F bonuses.

Maybe - I'm not sure they do (as they get rewarded from the prizemoney). B&F would be the main area of bonus money.

Don't forget that players are not on the same salary each season. Some clubs will front-end or back-end a players contract.

For example Sam Fisher may earn $450k this year, $500k next season. Which could be the cause of our problems.

Don't forget that players are not on the same salary each season. Some clubs will front-end or back-end a players contract.

For example Sam Fisher may earn $450k this year, $500k next season. Which could be the cause of our problems.

what he said

What's Lenny on per season? Surely couldn't be more than 600k right?

About that from memory, got a pay rise last contract extension, but mainly due to fact he went onto vets list and most of it doesnt count :)

If my understanding is right, we have 7 players who are eligible to be on the veterans list (Hayes, Blake, Kosi, Milne, Riewoldt, Dal and Joey).

Now if all these players are placed on the veterans list they can each have 14% of their salary not count towards the total cap.

Mathematically it may be prudent to only include the highest earners in the veterans list i.e. Hayes, Riewoldt, maybe Dal and Joey. That way we save more money.

The problem is that each of the eligible players will feel more comfortable if they are included in the veterans list - because that way their individual salaries are reduced and they feel that their salary is not breaking the club.

The fact is that it is better to have at least two of the highest earners on the list but probably only the two highest earners.

With two players, each will only have 50% of their salary count toward the TPP.

Three players on the veterans list each have 67% of their salary count toward the TPP.

Four players on the veterans list each have 75% of their salary count toward the TPP.

Think Riewoldt, Dal, Joey arent eligible yet. Cut off is like 10 years services & turn 30 on Sept 30 or Oct 31 (one or the other) and none those guys qualify.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think Riewoldt, Dal, Joey arent eligible yet. Cut off is like 10 years services & turn 30 on Sept 30 or Oct 31 (one or the other) and none those guys qualify.

But remembering that players like them and Fisher can recontract to weight more salary in the year they will qualify for the vet list (club gets to manage the cap in 2012 and the player might get an extra year).

To be clear, I'm still talking about the club's ability to recontract with players to juggle payments into the year which they qualify. I'm sure Sam can deal with lower pay in 2012 if we are able to look after him with the overall deal.

To be clear, I'm still talking about the club's ability to recontract with players to juggle payments into the year which they qualify. I'm sure Sam can deal with lower pay in 2012 if we are able to look after him with the overall deal.

Is this a fair assumption of our Veteran status....

Blake
Hayes
Milne
Kosi

Hayes
Milne
Kosi
Roo
Joey
Dal
Fish

Jason Grams manager, forgot his name, was saying on trade week radio that our salary cap is not in as much strife as has been reported.
My feeling is that we wont actually be trading anybody out, unless the deal is too good to refuse obviously

Remove this Banner Ad

Meeting the Salary Cap

Remove this Banner Ad

Back