Melbourne president doesn't even bother showing up

Remove this Banner Ad

The guy was doing a 100km walk for charity and had walked for 30 hours straight in an attempt to get to the ground.

My understanding is that his team had some problems and they were delayed and he couldn't make it to the game as planned.

Stop trying to make stories up when there isn't one.
This guy has put far more time in to the MFC than most of us would ever give to our clubs and he does it with a smile and for free like all other presidents.

Surely there are other presidents who have lives outside of football and can't get to every match.

Regardless of this incident, the Melbourne president has been invisible since the proverbial hit the fan.

Right now, Neale Daniher seems to be the coach, president and official press spokesman.

Originally posted by Adrian1
Surely there are other presidents who have lives outside of football and can't get to every match.

I have no opinion about the rest of what you said but this is surely why people shouldn't be presidents.

If you can't be at most of the games and the first one of the season, why are you even bothering to be president.

Originally posted by Katthawk
I have no opinion about the rest of what you said but this is surely why people shouldn't be presidents.

If you can't be at most of the games and the first one of the season, why are you even bothering to be president.

So are you suggesting that someone who puts countless hours of basic volunteer work has no right to a life outside the football club, and tha if for some reason he cannot make it to a game then he should be hung, drawn and quartered.

As I stated earlier from what I know he was in this 100km charity walk and intended all along to get to the game but circumstances got out of his control.

phatandphreaky where has Gardner been invisible. He has attended a stack of meetings with members and supporters, he was there all night at the Footy show member drive. He was there allday at our Family Day last Sunday, has been to a MFC / MCC meeting every day and night since elected as president of the club, and I have heard him interviewed a number of times on SEN. Not sure how much more visible a bloke cn be. Just because he is not the human headline like Daniher has become in his new push doesn't mean he is not there doing what he should be.

The guy was doing a 100km walk for charity and had walked for 30 hours straight in an attempt to get to the ground.

My understanding is that his team had some problems and they were delayed and he couldn't make it to the game as planned.

Stop trying to make stories up when there isn't one.

No one is making up any stories! He wasn't at the first game of the season! While we all agree that people have lives outside football, I would assume that the the first game of the season would be an important one to be at! It's not as thought it was a surprise entry in his diary!

I feel for Daniher if this is the level of commitment being displayed by the President of the club. If the demons' form continues to be bad, will he be offered a similar level of commitment by people in high places.....?

Originally posted by eros
No one is making up any stories! He wasn't at the first game of the season! While we all agree that people have lives outside football, I would assume that the the first game of the season would be an important one to be at! It's not as thought it was a surprise entry in his diary!

I feel for Daniher if this is the level of commitment being displayed by the President of the club. If the demons' form continues to be bad, will he be offered a similar level of commitment by people in high places.....?

Read my post. HE INTENDED TO GET TO THE GAME BUT CIRCUMSTANCES MEANT HE COULD NOT. That may not be making up a story but it certainly is reading far more into it than should be.

Give the guy a break. He was raising money for charity and tried to combine that and his football commitments together, but circumstances of his team in the charity event meant he could not. Get over it.

So are you suggesting that someone who puts countless hours of basic volunteer work has no right to a life outside the football club, and tha if for some reason he cannot make it to a game then he should be hung, drawn and quartered.

As I stated earlier from what I know he was in this 100km charity walk and intended all along to get to the game but circumstances got out of his control.

Fine and very noble, but I stand by what I said. He shouldn't be president if he can't be at the first game of the season. He shouldn't have been doing a charity walk at that time.

Simple really. Unless there is a death in the family or some such equally devastating matter there is no excuse.

No personal attack on you btw.

Read my post. HE INTENDED TO GET TO THE GAME BUT CIRCUMSTANCES MEANT HE COULD NOT. That may not be making up a story but it certainly is reading far more into it than should be.

Give the guy a break. He was raising money for charity and tried to combine that and his football commitments together, but circumstances of his team in the charity event meant he could not. Get over it.

I read your post . I just think Blind Freddy could have foreseen that in a 100K walk, something might happen which would delay your return.

Therefore, I think that as the President of a football club ( a position that he took on I believe, without a gun being positioned at his temple) he should not have committed to this event, on this day, particularly when his club is struggling.

Yes, he is entitled to a life outside these commitments. But if he doesn't have the time to keep important football related commitments, then maybe he shouldn't have taken them on in the first place. As I said - to my knowledge, nobody forced him to.

And in the meantime, the coach is required to be chief marketing manager and recruitment officer - 'human headline' if you will. Defend Gardiner's right to a private life as much as you like, but there is something wrong with this picture.

Are you disparaging Daniher for doing this? 'Human headline' is a descriptor normally reserved for attention seekers! If he won't do it - who will?

Not at all, just the best way I could describe him. I actually think he is doing a good job, and has finally started to get some positive publicity about the Melbourne Footy Club for a change.

Just wish the performance on the field would match the words he says, but that is the subject of another topic altogether.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read your post . I just think Blind Freddy could have foreseen that in a 100K walk, something might happen which would delay your return.

Therefore, I think that as the President of a football club ( a position that he took on I believe, without a gun being positioned at his temple) he should not have committed to this event, on this day, particularly when his club is struggling.

Yes, he is entitled to a life outside these commitments. But if he doesn't have the time to keep important football related commitments, then maybe he shouldn't have taken them on in the first place. As I said - to my knowledge, nobody forced him to.

And in the meantime, the coach is required to be chief marketing manager and recruitment officer - 'human headline' if you will. Defend Gardiner's right to a private life as much as you like, but there is something wrong with this picture.

I find this amazing. Why is it the responsibility of the President or Chairman to be the main focal point of media contact within a football club, and why is it such a problem that the coach is the human headline or main spokesman.

Other clubs work in the exact same way Schwab at Hawthorn, Matthews at Brisbane, Thompson at Geelong, Sheedy at Essendon. Thomas at St Kilda to name just a few.

This guy has given countless hours to this club, and has from what I understand been a long time supporter of charitable events and this is something that he has done on a number of occassions and has been training for a long time to complete.

Really can't honestly see what would have been gained by having Gardner at the ground sitting in the outer on Saturday afternoon.

Some people have some amazing priorities and to criticise someone over something they had no control over particularly when they were doing something for someone less fortunate than themselves is something to be commended not condemed

With all due respect Adrian, I think you're fighting the losing battle - couldn't Gardiner exclude himself from the walk to ensure his presence at the game, yet still donate to the charity???
No-one is denying what he has contributed to the club so far, but I think most would have seen his presence at the FIRST game of the year as necessary.

"Despite what a lot of people think, there are a lot of other things in life besides football. I'll try to be the best president ever, but there are times when I will just have to miss some games"

Paul Gardner, President MFC, explaining his choice to participate in the Oxfam walk, over attending as president the opening match of the season.

He should have been there, he has obligation to his club. How many times have we heard that Melb supporters need to become members. Why should they make the effort to come to games when the prez has 'other more important things'!

And anyone who thinks Daniher should be the public face is dreamin. He cannot even string a sentence together without four umms and multiple ahhs. Combined with his inability to drop the country bumpkin drawl he comes across absolutely shocking. My wife heard him interviewed on MMM and thought it was a send-up. I can imagine him addressing sponsors.

Originally posted by tdubfleet
"Despite what a lot of people think, there are a lot of other things in life besides football. I'll try to be the best president ever, but there are times when I will just have to miss some games"

Paul Gardner, President MFC, explaining his choice to participate in the Oxfam walk, over attending as president the opening match of the season.

Understandable, but not acceptable, imo. The club needs EVERYONE to get behind them atm, from the prez down, as has been well documented over the last 2-3 months.
How many other presidents weren't at their club's games on the weekend?
No-one needed to be there more than Gardner.

Originally posted by GOALden Hawk
First game in charge and he couldn't make it. Pretty poor effort, guess he is just fitting in with the supporters (and based on the game, most of the players as well).

Correct me if I'm wrong,but hasn't Ian Dicker missed Hawk games due to business commitments overseas ?

Did you start a topic bagging him ?

I find this amazing. Why is it the responsibility of the President or Chairman to be the main focal point of media contact within a football club, and why is it such a problem that the coach is the human headline or main spokesman.

Other clubs work in the exact same way Schwab at Hawthorn, Matthews at Brisbane, Thompson at Geelong, Sheedy at Essendon. Thomas at St Kilda to name just a few.

The difference is that with each one of the coaches that you named, there is a public perception (as well as a reality) that they have a united, commited off-field administration lined up behind them. Surely you can acknowledge that at this time, the Demons don't appear to have that? I would have thought that some public gestures (like attending the first game of the season) would go some way to creating that impression. Whether we like it or not, perceptions like this are important to the success of membership drives.

Yes - his commitment to charitable activities is commendable. Just not this weekend.

Originally posted by Ramma

No-one needed to be there more than Gardner.

True, it's probably a case of bad timing but it wouldn't matter what round it was there would be people ready to come out with the knives.

For me it's good that our pres has an eye on the bigger picture and knows that there is more important things thatn football.

Could you imagine though if he pulled out of the charity event, the headline "Melbourne President puts football ahead of world hunger" would be shocker........

The difference is that with each one of the coaches that you named, there is a public perception (as well as a reality) that they have a united, commited off-field administration lined up behind them. Surely you can acknowledge that at this time, the Demons don't appear to have that? I would have thought that some public gestures (like attending the first game of the season) would go some way to creating that impression. Whether we like it or not, perceptions like this are important to the success of membership drives.

Yes - his commitment to charitable activities is commendable. Just not this weekend.

So what about Richmond where Frawley is the public persona of that club by and large ???

OK I get it. Maybe he should call Oxfam and say look I know we have a team of people involved in this event and we have trained for it and it is a really good cause but can you not have it on round one of the football as there are a few narrow minded individuals who think it is so important that I attend every game and since this is the first it is even more important.

And Ramma my understanding is no he cannot just "excuse himself" there is a team of people involved and if one cog falls out it effects the entire team's ability to finish the event.

morgoth Daniher is the coach. Irrespective of what you think about his ability to construct sentences or not, the fact remains he like all other 15 coaches are the ones the media want to talk to and they are and always will be the focal point of the media attention. To have a go at a bloke because he is from the country and has a drawl is just childish and really adds very little to a discussion

Re: Re: Melbourne president doesn't even bother showing up

Originally posted by JUBJUB
Correct me if I'm wrong,but hasn't Ian Dicker missed Hawk games due to business commitments overseas ?

Did you start a topic bagging him ?

I think he has missed a couple since 1997, but not too many.

But certainly not the opening round. And he definitely didn't miss games when the club was under the pump last year.

My issue isn't with Gardiner missing a match here and there, or even his reason for missing the game. It's the fact he missed THIS game. The Demons woes are well documented. The calls for people to turn up and support them have been numerous.

What sort of message is it sending the rank and file Melbourne supporters when the President doesn't even show up for Round 1. For a club notorious for people failing to show up it's not a good look.

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne president doesn't even bother showing up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back