Melbourne president doesn't even bother showing up

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by tdubfleet
True, it's probably a case of bad timing but it wouldn't matter what round it was there would be people ready to come out with the knives.

For me it's good that our pres has an eye on the bigger picture and knows that there is more important things thatn football.

Could you imagine though if he pulled out of the charity event, the headline "Melbourne President puts football ahead of world hunger" would be shocker........

Oh get over yourself. You can twist words and make up every little sob story and scenario and excuse you like.

It is five hours out of one day. Or maybe a bit more. He's hardly the Ghandi of football but it's timing and discipline and various other cliches that I could use.

No it may not be a big deal in the BIG CONTEXT OF LIFE (sorry to shout) but perception is everything.

Originally posted by Adrian1
So what about Richmond where Frawley is the public persona of that club by and large ???

You did not include Frawley in the original list of coaches that you offered, so you can't use him as an example! And in any case, over the last week, it has not been Frawley who has been the face of Richmond off-field, it has been Casey.

Of the many Melbourne fans I work with, I have not spoken with one who supports Gardiner's decision over this weekend. Whether you and tdubfleet like to admit it, this was not a wise thing to do according to many Melbourne members and supporters.

And Ramma my understanding is no he cannot just "excuse himself" there is a team of people involved and if one cog falls out it effects the entire team's ability to finish the event.

Much like the club he's President of at the moment.......

Originally posted by eros
You did not include Frawley in the original list of coaches that you offered, so you can't use him as an example! And in any case, over the last week, it has not been Frawley who has been the face of Richmond off-field, it has been Casey.

Of the many Melbourne fans I work with, I have not spoken with one who supports Gardiner's decision over this weekend. Whether you and tdubfleet like to admit it, this was not a wise thing to do according to many Melbourne members and supporters.

Sorry can you point me to the rules that say I can't use Frawley as an example ?

The fact is you made a comment about the unity or boards and administrations of other clubs as part of your argument and I was merely showing you the flaw in it.

In fact I think Danny Frawley had a stack of media conferences last week, and from the media I saw he was a main contributor (I saw more of him that Casey over the span of the week).

Ramma, how does Gardner (people please learn how to spell his name correctly !) being there or not have any impact whatsoever on him being at the game on Friday. Was he going to line up on Nathan Thompson ?????

Gardiners actions just feed the perception that Melb are fair weather supporters.

As for the country drawl comments, MM gets paid $500K by Sony, he can speaks clearly and concisely and can be used by sponsors to address employess etc. Would you let Daniher do this, no way. In short he is not marketable.

I'm a Dees supporter and I support Gardner's decision 100%. Fair dinkum, we've got far more to worry about than this, IMO this is the biggest single non-issue in the entire farcical loss.

I'm big on symbolism but, try as I might, I simply cannot see anything wrong with him not being there. He couldn't have stopped Crawford, et al, from the stands. We (being Demons supporters) know how important it is to join up (our membership is significantly up on last year), we know how much passion Gardner has for the club, and we know how much work he has put in.

Couldn't give a rat's tossbag about this "issue". More concerned on how the hell we're going to combat big Richo and the Tiges next week.

Originally posted by morgoth
Gardiners actions just feed the perception that Melb are fair weather supporters.

As for the country drawl comments, MM gets paid $500K by Sony, he can speaks clearly and concisely and can be used by sponsors to address employess etc. Would you let Daniher do this, no way. In short he is not marketable.

With all due respect, morgoth, you mustn't have heard enough of Neale lately, or you can't get past the country drawl. Daniher has been extremely articulate, incisive, humorous and passionate of late.

I honestly think that, because he sounds like Cletus the Slack-Jawed Yokel, people think he's a dunce. Not so. He's a very smart and educated man. I really don't think that, if you'd heard him address the MCC members at, say, the MCG last week, you'd have the same view.

Just my opinion, but.

Sorry can you point me to the rules that say I can't use Frawley as an example ?

The fact is you made a comment about the unity or boards and administrations of other clubs as part of your argument and I was merely showing you the flaw in it.

In fact I think Danny Frawley had a stack of media conferences last week, and from the media I saw he was a main contributor (I saw more of him that Casey over the span of the week).

Because when I posted my reply to you , I noted that everyone of the coaches 'that you listed' had a board united behind them. If you had mentioned Frawley in that list, I would not have made that point. By using Frawley as an example, you attempted to distort my argument. You would have been pulled up in your assignment for Clearthinking 101 if you'd tried this strategy. In any case, yes Frawley was around a lot in the media last week - but only talking footy matters. Anything that involved the off-field board matters was handled by Casey. Sorry if this fact does not fit with your churlish view of the world.

One other fact still remains, however, (and one I note you did not attempt to respond to) is that many Melbourne fans believe he made the wrong decision. When the club is in strife EVERYONE needs to be involved in getting out of strife. Symbolic gestures are important.

Originally posted by rORy=)
I'm a Dees supporter and I support Gardner's decision 100%. Fair dinkum, we've got far more to worry about than this, IMO this is the biggest single non-issue in the entire farcical loss.

I'm big on symbolism but, try as I might, I simply cannot see anything wrong with him not being there. He couldn't have stopped Crawford, et al, from the stands. We (being Demons supporters) know how important it is to join up (our membership is significantly up on last year), we know how much passion Gardner has for the club, and we know how much work he has put in.

Couldn't give a rat's tossbag about this "issue". More concerned on how the hell we're going to combat big Richo and the Tiges next week.

Classic example. You don't care. In this situation you need ALL hands on deck from the top down. Don't shirk the issue and just hope it'll work itself out.

Fairweather supporters indeed. You even had fair weather on Saturday and you still fail to see the point.

Morgoth get it right. COLLINGWOOD get paid $500K by Sony to advertise their product and brand on his shirt etc. I seem to recall a number of interviews over the years with Malthouse where people have wondered what actual planet he is on (a bit like sheedy and his martians).

Still don't understand what point you are trying to make about this. Surely Sony could have spent a lot less to get someone far more relevant and impressive if that is the reason for sponsoring MM.

Garnder's actions are that he has a life outside football and he has a conscience about others in the community. He is not so narrow minded as to think that all there is to life is football.

He committed to a cause and he followed through. He attempted to satisfy both is passions but due to circumstances outside his control was unable to. Really not the big beat up story that some would like it to be

Morgoth get it right. COLLINGWOOD get paid $500K by Sony to advertise their product and brand on his shirt etc. I seem to recall a number of interviews over the years with Malthouse where people have wondered what actual planet he is on (a bit like sheedy and his martians).

Still don't understand what point you are trying to make about this. Surely Sony could have spent a lot less to get someone far more relevant and impressive if that is the reason for sponsoring MM.

Garnder's actions are that he has a life outside football and he has a conscience about others in the community. He is not so narrow minded as to think that all there is to life is football.

He committed to a cause and he followed through. He attempted to satisfy both is passions but due to circumstances outside his control was unable to. Really not the big beat up story that some would like it to be

Do you realise that this 'beat up' is actually for your own good?

Stop making excuses. No-one is condemning the good intentions just the lack of timing. It's not that hard to work out.

Originally posted by eros
Because when I posted my reply to you , I noted that everyone of the coaches 'that you listed' had a board united behind them. If you had mentioned Frawley in that list, I would not have made that point. By using Frawley as an example, you attempted to distort my argument. You would have been pulled up in your assignment for Clearthinking 101 if you'd tried this strategy. In any case, yes Frawley was around a lot in the media last week - but only talking footy matters. Anything that involved the off-field board matters was handled by Casey. Sorry if this fact does not fit with your churlish view of the world.

One other fact still remains, however, (and one I note you did not attempt to respond to) is that many Melbourne fans believe he made the wrong decision. When the club is in strife EVERYONE needs to be involved in getting out of strife. Symbolic gestures are important.

My inclusion of Frawley is not distorting any argument merely called Counter Argument. I think that is still allowed to argue a point is it not ?

I did not respond to your comment on what other Melbourne fans thought is because it is not my place to defend their ideals. If you looked at any of the melbourne websites today opinion is divided between those that agree and those that don't agree with what Paul did. Personally I agree that what he did is acceptable and his being there would not have made any difference to the shattering result or the pain that those of us there felt, or no doubt the pain Paul Gardner felt as well.

I do not think that a guy honouring his commitments that have been made a long time ago, and doing something most of us woul never do in order to raise money for someone far less fortunate than we are encourages the ideals of fair weather Melbourne supporters.

If other people think differently then so be it. The players and coach know how much work that Gardner is putting in, and I guess that is all that matters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

R.M Williams, Dry-as-a-Bone and Tamworth Country Music Festival aside.

Eros, I will admit it was not a wise thing but I can understand and accept his position as a supporter and member of the club.

Originally posted by Katthawk
Classic example. You don't care. In this situation you need ALL hands on deck from the top down. Don't shirk the issue and just hope it'll work itself out.

Fairweather supporters indeed. You even had fair weather on Saturday and you still fail to see the point.

I don't care about this bullcrap manufactured issue. How you can comment on my passion for my football club though, I absolutely fail to see. How about you read posts, think about them, and then reply?

Ramma, how does Gardner (people please learn how to spell his name correctly !) being there or not have any impact whatsoever on him being at the game on Friday. Was he going to line up on Nathan Thompson ?????

Your continued support for your Prez is comendable Adrian, but as has been pointed out a number of times, it's the PERCEPTION......and it's not to obviously loyal supporters like yourself, but the ones who are considering whether or not they should become involved (ie. buy a membership) - if the Prez won't be there, why should I??

(Yes, spelt his name incorrectly the first time, but not subsequent times)

Originally posted by bucksisbest
I don't know the contractual details of the deal Adrian , but the Sony deal is an individual sponsorship.
Just like Koutafides has an individual sponsorship with Adidas.

Sorry don't think so. Eddie is not that silly.

Little quote from The Age

"Sony's sponsorship of Collingwood will revolutionise the Magpies' communication between the bench and the coach's box on match days this year, with the "big, cumbersome whiteboard" to be replaced by laptops."

Just because it specifically relates around the coaches box and his shirt doesn't mean it is an individual sponsorship where the cash gets handed to him. It is still a club sponsor.

The coach of a club is in the media spotlight. Therefore the right to have your brand name on his clothing is sold. The funds flow to the club of course but in effect that pays most of MM's pay.

Daniher may be a Rhodes scholar, it does not matter, perception is reality and the perception is that he is 'thick' and non articulate. Go ask some of your ex players (no not Woey) what they think of him, you might get a rude shock.

If other people think differently then so be it. The players and coach know how much work that Gardner is putting in, and I guess that is all that matters.

I'll let it rest - because we obviously see things differently. I just think you are kidding yourself if you think that the players and coach knowing how much work he does in is all that matters. Sad as it may be, love and passion for the club won't help it to survive. A growing supporter base, a strong off field presence and administration that markets itself at every opportunity is what is required. Just ask any Fitzroy supporter.

The coach of a club is in the media spotlight. Therefore the right to have your brand name on his clothing is sold. The funds flow to the club of course but in effect that pays most of MM's pay.

Daniher may be a Rhodes scholar, it does not matter, perception is reality and the perception is that he is 'thick' and non articulate. Go ask some of your ex players (no not Woey) what they think of him, you might get a rude shock.

morgoth I doubt I would get a shock at all. It has been clearly reported that some don't get along with Daniher (ie: Schwarz, Lyon etc)

Many football coaches have a perception of being "thick and non articulate" past and present. Danny Frawley with his yeah, nah crap is one that springs to mind.

Still not sure what your point is other than to try and introduce Collingwood into this thread.

The fact remains that Daniher is our coach and irrespective of what you think of his ability to tackle the English language he is in the media spot light as the coach of the club.

Is Gardner the president of Oxfam too? If not, then I'd definitely say he made a wrong decision.

When Melbourne fans are making a choice on how to spend their disposable income, even the Melbourne president has charity ahead of the MFC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne president doesn't even bother showing up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back