Membership 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Article on the AFL website stating that we have once again broken our membership record but doesn’t have the figures listed.

“So far seven clubs - Brisbane, Carlton, Geelong, Gold Coast, GWS, Sydney and the Western Bulldogs - have announced all-time club membership records. Collingwood, Carlton, West Coast and Richmond lead the 2024 membership tallies”.

Article on the AFL website stating that we have once again broken our membership record but doesn’t have the figures listed.

“So far seven clubs - Brisbane, Carlton, Geelong, Gold Coast, GWS, Sydney and the Western Bulldogs - have announced all-time club membership records. Collingwood, Carlton, West Coast and Richmond lead the 2024 membership tallies”.
I know it will never happen but I would love to see the breakdown of Membership types.

Full 11 game home season members, 3 game members, supporter members, digital members, pet members.

I know it will never happen but I would love to see the breakdown of Membership types.

Full 11 game home season members, 3 game members, supporter members, digital members, pet members.
Obviously the AFL would then be exposed and certain executives not receive their lucrative bonuses with increased memberships not to mention the narrative being so much better with headlines like we see year on year.

Too cynical?

Obviously the AFL would then be exposed and certain executives not receive their lucrative bonuses with increased memberships not to mention the narrative being so much better with headlines like we see year on year.

Too cynical?

Yes.

Seriously them, why not publish or disclose the real numbers? What's there to hide?

And please, don't think membership numbers aren't tied to bonuses for many executives at both AFL and club land.

I've always thought a better metric would be to list memberships, would be by dollars numbers not raw numbers. So Richmond have close to 100,000 members yet get less than 20,000 games. Yep, Im buying there membership numbers.

It is around this time of the year that Lion members start thinking about our team making the GF and will they attend if we do.
Of course, it is best if you have a guaranteed ticket like the sold-out Priority 1 September Member Upgrade.
Then there are costs for flights, accommodation, airport transfers etc.

Accommodation you can usually find something that has free cancellation by a certain date.
That free cancellation date of course must be after the Prelim finals played on the 20-21st September this year.
Nothing is cheap these days so do you go down Thursday, Friday or a huge gamble Saturday early.
If you are lucky to have a friend/relative to put you up for a few days that is a bonus.

The airfares are trickier.
If the Lions don't make the GF it will cost you something one way or the other.
The earlier you book the cheaper it is unless you went with Rex.
Having a look at Virgin prices today the below image is their price structure for one particular flight leaving Friday.
Last year we did not book flights until the 28th of Aug.
This year we booked tickets on the below flight after the Saints game.
Last year we went Virgin and opted for the Flex which was $835 on the 28th of August, with a refund option of paying $99.
I can't remember the price of the Lite & Choice options at that time, but they would have been higher.
At that time i came to the conclusion that the Flex $835 price was a better option.

My daughters uses airlines a few times a year so we went with the Choice option $277 this time.
If we don't make the GF we each pay a $99 fee, but for her to get both airfares travel credits. No full refund in the Choice option.

1722822485688.png

I had a look at the September membership today and the below image is from the Lions Membership site.
Not sure how many Priority 2 September Member Upgrade they make available or have left.
Even at this late stage the Priority 2 three game/flexi members could be a good option if you can use the 2 free guest tickets in the remaining 3 games.

Did anyone have a Priority 2 September Member Upgrade last year and get a GF ticket ?
I am sure there would be some or even all that were successful but have no figure to back that up.
1722820225207.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is around this time of the year that Lion members start thinking about our team making the GF and will they attend if we do.
Of course, it is best if you have a guaranteed ticket like the sold-out Priority 1 September Member Upgrade.
Then there are costs for flights, accommodation, airport transfers etc.

Accommodation you can usually find something that has free cancellation by a certain date.
That free cancellation date of course must be after the Prelim finals played on the 20-21st September this year.
Nothing is cheap these days so do you go down Thursday, Friday or a huge gamble Saturday early.
If you are lucky to have a friend/relative to put you up for a few days that is a bonus.

The airfares are trickier.
If the Lions don't make the GF it will cost you something one way or the other.
The earlier you book the cheaper it is unless you went with Rex.
Having a look at Virgin prices today the below image is their price structure for one particular flight leaving Friday.
Last year we did not book flights until the 28th of Aug.
This year we booked tickets on the below flight after the Saints game.
Last year we went Virgin and opted for the Flex which was $835 on the 28th of August, with a refund option of paying $99.
I can't remember the price of the Lite & Choice options at that time, but they would have been higher.
At that time i came to the conclusion that the Flex $835 price was a better option.

My daughters uses airlines a few times a year so we went with the Choice option $277 this time.
If we don't make the GF we each pay a $99 fee, but for her to get both airfares travel credits. No full refund in the Choice option.

View attachment 2069491

I had a look at the September membership today and the below image is from the Lions Membership site.
Not sure how many Priority 2 September Member Upgrade they make available or have left.
Even at this late stage the Priority 2 three game/flexi members could be a good option if you can use the 2 free guest tickets in the remaining 3 games.

Did anyone have a Priority 2 September Member Upgrade last year and get a GF ticket ?
I am sure there would be some or even all that were successful but have no figure to back that up.
View attachment 2069451
Regarding the P2 Sep. upgrade - check if your current membership already includes P2 priority. Season memberships include it. Also, if you're adding the September upgrade for a family (2A + 2J), it's cheaper to buy a family membership at this stage ($190 for GA membership, $143 for Trad. Victorian).

We got 5 GF tickets last year as P2. It wasn't the September upgrade, but it shouldn't make any difference - P2 is P2.

For anyone interested, I drove past a sign at Tingalpa today, haven’t been able to find any membership numbers recently so if this is right it is an amazing figure.

View attachment 2071218

If you want to know information about the Lions best to hit the streets of Brisbane.
Maybe it is on SM somewhere?
The club sent an email to all members about Members Round on the 30/7/24.
It would not have been hard to mention the number even if it was slightly under 65K

The club will be receiving an email from me probably next week or later
Had trouble again getting my ticket on Saturday
Refreshed the ticket master account but still couldn’t get it.
Then fired up the laptop and luckily forwarded it to my son who then put it on his phone.
Way too hard and clunky
That was 30 minutes before we left on Saturday so almost didn’t go
Just went in to my lions account and it still told me error when looking at the Essendon game.
So logged out and back
Yes now I can view ticket
Talk about making it hard for your members
Just give us the option for a season ticket
I’ll send something next week
It’s not good enough.
There was no way I was going to lineup outside gate 9

The club will be receiving an email from me probably next week or later
Had trouble again getting my ticket on Saturday
Refreshed the ticket master account but still couldn’t get it.
Then fired up the laptop and luckily forwarded it to my son who then put it on his phone.
Way too hard and clunky
That was 30 minutes before we left on Saturday so almost didn’t go
Just went in to my lions account and it still told me error when looking at the Essendon game.
So logged out and back
Yes now I can view ticket
Talk about making it hard for your members
Just give us the option for a season ticket
I’ll send something next week
It’s not good enough.
There was no way I was going to lineup outside gate 9
We had a similar problem, only solved it when we changed my MyLions portal password, why that was the f ing case I have no idea.

I have sent emails about this before and will be requesting physical membership cards for 2025.

What I did notice when we went to Metricon for the Q Clash was that a lot of Suns supporters had physical membership cards... their self scanning entry was a lot quicker/smoother than lining up with a phone and getting a human with a scanner to scan your phone. NOT ALL CHANGE IS GOOD, IN FACT SOME IS WORSE.

I just reckon all you old codgers need to sort yourselves out and get with the modern technology a bit ay

Animation Bear GIF

We had a similar problem, only solved it when we changed my MyLions portal password, why that was the f ing case I have no idea.

Especially clunky when trying to get guests in. I don't trust anyone to properly complete transfer of their ticket so I have to go through 4 tickets in the (hopefully working) app. Also when it is added to apple wallet it defaults to NFC instead of barcode which I hate.

Also had a bit of trouble yesterday sorting tickets out for seat swap and guest tickets yesterday. Season member.

Good old fashioned card is superior like when I use my AFL membership to get into MCG and Marvel games.

For people like me who don't use Ticketmaster except for Membership renewal and finals tickets.
Login details will be the same as your Lions Membership login.

For some reason in 2022 i was unable to finalize the ticket purchase because they said incorrect login details.
Nothing had changed from me.
However, this delay in changing password ended up having me back in the queue again.
Not a great feeling.

Check that your payment details are correct. Your expiry date may have changed since last using Ticketmaster.
Check that your email and phone number are current.

How to do this:
Login to Ticketmaster

My Account

My Profile
use Profile details to check email and phone number. They only show the last 4 digits which is enough to know it's correct.
use Billing Information to check card payment details.

Remove this Banner Ad

Membership 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back