Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep - however, from a coaching perspective - we kinda looked like we had the game under control uintil the last 5 minutes.
When everyone stopped running and we just kicked down the line like the good marking side we are . Oh wait we are a shit marking side . Surely our leaders make some effort to find space.

Is it the coach not doing the basics or a list unable to execute the basics? I doubt there’s a coach in the AFL that could take the list as it stands right now any further than Scott has

No goalkeeper twice in the last quarter, spare defender or defenders not impacting because they’re not in the dangerous space.

Players in the back half pushing up high into a zone for a kick in and then just not facing the ball. No change to the method to cool the game down when Adelaide went super saiyan.

He’s advertised as someone that is going to coach them hard, push them harder than they’ve ever been pushed and give no quarter.

I’m not buying ‘it’s just an extraordinarily dumb playing group, he either can’t communicate it to them effectively or he’s not, both outcomes are not good.

On the other hand we’re staying in games and have only dropped our heads once or twice this season when it used to be a regular occurrence. We’re better at applying pressure and have a hardness that wasn’t present in previous seasons. We’ve had young players emerge as leaders and stars of the competition.

The coach has been pretty open about the first priority being teaching the players how to be professional athletes and building a better culture. I’m sure they haven’t completely neglected the issues you raise but you can’t throw too much at people at once or you’ll just overwhelm them.

We’ll have to disagree on the football IQ across our list, I don’t think it’s great and I’m sure making up for that is a reason Heppell gets games despite his lack of direct impact. Good sides have a large number of players who understand the game plan and match situation well enough not just to position themselves but to explain it to others and I don’t think we’ve got many who can do that, hence a lot of the issues we have.

No goalkeeper twice in the last quarter, spare defender or defenders not impacting because they’re not in the dangerous space.

Players in the back half pushing up high into a zone for a kick in and then just not facing the ball. No change to the method to cool the game down when Adelaide went super saiyan.

He’s advertised as someone that is going to coach them hard, push them harder than they’ve ever been pushed and give no quarter.

I’m not buying ‘it’s just an extraordinarily dumb playing group, he either can’t communicate it to them effectively or he’s not, both outcomes are not good.
If it is not a dumb playing group then how do we manage to keep dong the same dumb shit under every coach we have had in the last 10 years ?
So now it is another coach who can not teach them anything 🙄
Scott May be an average coach but we have been a dumb as shit side under multiple head coaches and assistant coaches .
Time to wake up and smell the roses .
Mahoney was right when he asked Dodoro if he had ever drafted anyone with a football IQ of over 20 .

How can we be improving each week yet be worse defensively now than we were this same round last year with arguably an easier draw.
The "younger" kids seem to be going backwards.
2023 massive drop off from July, season 2024 seems to have a very similar trajectory to this point.
That's not moving forward in my book.
Brad could sell ice to an Eskimo but the number don't lie, we have stagnated if not gone backwards with him in charge, hopefully its a 1 step back to go 2 steps forward but imo I don't think but is.

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

8 year plan with a 36 yr old ruck and a small forward that Saints didn't want, let's not play young talent in their natural position, we'll bring back Dylan Shiel who wants to leave end of season. Have a really good hhf/wimg? Let's play him in an position he doesn't like which he's really unaccountable in. Also, let's play 5 players over 200cm and have a run and gun game plan.

He is walking talking contradiction.

Was pleasantly surprised by the capacity of the list after 1 week.

Ben Rutten would be laughing his arse off.

If it is not a dumb playing group then how do we manage to keep dong the same dumb shit under every coach we have had in the last 10 years ?
So now it is another coach who can not teach them anything 🙄
Scott May be an average coach but we have been a dumb as shit side under multiple head coaches and assistant coaches .
Time to wake up and smell the roses .
Mahoney was right when he asked Dodoro if he had ever drafted anyone with a football IQ of over 20 .

I don’t think they’re well prepared, well conditioned or well coached and I don’t think they even know what their best structure is, let alone their best personnel and they’re still there or there abouts ish, that for me says the list is at least decent even if they’re constantly pushing shit up a hill.

The promise of Scott for me at least was he was a scrapper and an eeker, he never had toys at North but he had them really well drilled, they were predictable and reliable, without the frills or the fuss.

Not sure I see that imprint yet.

I don’t think they’re well prepared, well conditioned or well coached and I don’t think they even know what their best structure is, let alone their best personnel and they’re still there or there abouts ish, that for me says the list is at least decent even if they’re constantly pushing shit up a hill.

The promise of Scott for me at least was he was a scrapper and an eeker, he never had toys at North but he had them really well drilled, they were predictable and reliable, without the frills or the fuss.

Not sure I see that imprint yet.
There is no imprint because they can not get the basics right. I have seen what they work on at training and I know they have kept the game plan reigned in to avoid a complete turnoverathon . We are stuck at stage one because as a group we just can not defend as a team . What they work on the training track falls apart on game day.
At some stage you have to realize this is a player issue . You can not keep churning through coaches and beefing up the development team and say it is not. They have been sold the same message in various forms going back to Hird and Bomber but it is always the same.
It is way too early to know exactly where Scott will go with this as he has had one trade / draft / FA period .
I have said a few times that I am not sold on him being the coach to finish the product but someone has to start it. So far he has improved the training standards. They are fitter than previously . This is the second year but the club gave him a mulligan last year so he and Vozzo could do a bit of an audit on what they wanted to set out.
You seem to be really premature . After 20 years of average with poor leadership on and off the field what did you expect ?
If he is actually the man for the job it will take more than a season and a half of footy. It took Hardwicke 7 years and Goodwin 9 years. As ****ed as this sounds we pretty much have to ride this one for 4 or 5 years . We are still crawling . Running is a fair way off.

What they work on the training track falls apart on game day.
At some stage you have to realize this is a player issue . You can not keep churning through coaches and beefing up the development team and say it is not. They have been sold the same message in various forms going back to Hird and Bomber but it is always the same.
Can you explain, what is it then? Recruitment, development, or just a shit culture that the players end up being a victim of?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you explain, what is it then? Recruitment, development, or just a shit culture that the players end up being a victim of?
Recruitment / List balance / years of limited leaders / poor spend in development until last year and a general soft culture that crept into the club during the last years of Sheedy and has never been checked. On top of that the off field has had more focus on how much money we have in the bank and not winning games of footy. The whole set up has been let slide and throw in the effects of the saga and you get what you get. Brasher was not wrong when he said we had become to soft as a club. he may have backed the wrong coach but he knew what we had become.
Our lack of actually ranking leadership and real competitors across the whole list has really hurt us.

I was a fan but am getting concerned. Team selection cost us last week going too tall in the wet like it did 2 weeks before that.

Constantly playing average senior players who wont take us anywhere (Kelly, Heppell, Goldstein) instead of prioritizing youth. Bryan probably out the door because he doesnt rate him, same with D'ambrosio last year. Hobbs and Tsatas are having their development stalled

Was pleasantly surprised by the capacity of the list after 1 week.
But was also unimpressed with the level they played at and trained at after one season. Maybe he was pleasantly surprised because he thought we where a total shit box but we where only a sit box.

I was a fan but am getting concerned. Team selection cost us last week going too tall in the wet like it did 2 weeks before that.

Constantly playing average senior players who wont take us anywhere (Kelly, Heppell, Goldstein) instead of prioritizing youth. Bryan probably out the door because he doesnt rate him, same with D'ambrosio last year. Hobbs and Tsatas are having their development stalled
Tsatas has issues that Scott has no control of. He tried to give him a go but his kicking is not up to it right now. Hobbs was a bit unlucky . Was in the side but got injured . May get a look in soon. Bryan should get a few games but as I guy I have watched in match sim and VFL really closely I know why he does not rate him. He is just as bad as Wright when it comes to physicality in a contest . Gets run under the footy or off the line by blokes half his side.
I was not a D'Ambrosio fan but I get people like his kicking and he is doing really well with the Hawks although they put him in a role where he does not have to defend. Given Scott was hired to fix the defensive side first it was not shock they did not offer Mass a lot to stay.
I agree team selection cost us last week and there have been some borderline selections as far as a few old blokes v younger versions.

There was a bit of mumbo jumbo in the presser but he was on the money when he said where are not where we want to be because we simply do not execute well enough under pressure.

Anyone bother to watch the presser?
Oh, you can't read too much into those things
Brasher was not wrong when he said we had become to soft as a club. he may have backed the wrong coach but he knew what we had become.
Our lack of actually ranking leadership and real competitors across the whole list has really hurt us.
The club wouldn't have a ****ing clue.

People can scoff and say it's only women's footy and the second tier thereof which is a very low standard etc. but I'll still point you the the example of our VFLW and what they built and how very little of it was used as a foundation for the AFL then the whole thing seems to have been tossed aside like garbage.

Some great leaders are going around in a grand final on Sunday, some of them will win it, and they aren't wearing red and black anymore.

This club does not value culture nor building solid foundations.

Good coach.

Durham and caldwell as 3rd and 4th best mids has been a good move. More responsibility.

Jones and cox on the wings has been good apart from the wet. I think playing 1 more fwd and then only 1 ruckman in the side is the longer term solution though.

Martin at half back worked in the end. Apart from 1 or 2 games has made good in game adjustments.

Created some flexibility in roles with Martin, Jones, Cox, guelfi.

Mcgrath out of the mid. Although at times I think we still should use this when mids getting smashed.

Areas for improvement.

Loyalty to old players/favourites
Goldy, perkins, heppel and laverde all played too many games when out of form.

- understandable as ladder position warranted it but needs to change now our season is cooked.

Use of sub poor.

Prone to a shocker once or twice a year. Melbourne and Geelong games.

Love of 2 rucks.

Not defending players who are reported. Afl puppet but might be a club thing.

Think you’re underestimating how useless Goldy was. Wright is actually a chance to bob up for a goal or two and take a mark - Goldy had zero of both.
We kicked over 100. A goal or two was not the issue. Crap team defense was a big issue and Wright is poor in that area anyway. Goldy looked like a pensioner but that selection was not the issue.

Good coach.

Durham and caldwell as 3rd and 4th best mids has been a good move. More responsibility.

This is very true, he has proved to be a great coach, the issue is, Brad can't control what happens in the say the last 10 minutes of a game during 50/50 plays when the game is close.

One thing i would do if i was Brad is do some work on kicking in front of goal. More training so the players are aware of the higher percentage kicking techniques to use at certain angles and situations in the forward line, as well as how to kick through the ball and how to kick straight and to be more relaxed in front of goal.

4 times last night where players were amateurish/not-smart in their decisions. May have cost the game.

Langford you might say, just mis-kicked it entirely. The others looked to be stupid technique.

At the same time Langford should know better, these players get paid very well to be good at things like that. Especially if it's their known position on the ground. Everyone messes up sometimes, but that showed that the players perhaps aren't being shown or aren't practicing correct technique and are prone to dumb football because of it.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Back