Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

we shouldn’t have lost that game, and certainly shouldn’t have lost it that bad badly. i think questions should be asked as this is not the first time we shouldn’t have lost that game, and certainly not lost it that badly
But also we should never have lost this game that badly again like we last lost this game and lost it badly

Sack the coach because obviously he is to blame for having so many on the list that are unable to perform the basics .

I was thinking before the game that it was really only the port second half that I felt we didn’t turn up for this year - if you give the Geelong last quarter as a freebie.

But I’m adding another 3 quarters from tonight to the do not watch list.

That was dismal.

All the more annoying because we should have been 4 goals up at quarter time.

I was thinking before the game that it was really only the port second half that I felt we didn’t turn up for this year - if you give the Geelong last quarter as a freebie.

But I’m adding another 3 quarters from tonight to the do not watch list.

That was dismal.

All the more annoying because we should have been 4 goals up at quarter time.
Thats it. We don't have the ability to put scoreboard pressure on teams when we have it on our terms. There is no buffer for when the other team gets a run on.

How Hind was sub boggles the mind.

We try and play flashy when the conditions don't suit. Over use of the ball and going wide inside 50 on a wet night is diabolical.

Sack the coach because obviously he is to blame for having so many on the list that are unable to perform the basics .
Scott shouldn’t cop the flack because players can’t execute or roll up the sleeves and fight the figh…. But at the same time continuing to go tall in conditions that don’t suit us and playing heppell for no good reason, well that does fall back on him. There’s not one good reason heppell was able to return to the side tonight, to make matters worse laverde will back next week and we’ll be be back to the same slow on balanced side with Kelly going back to the wing so we can accomodate for Dyson, for not good reason.

There is something wrong with our gameplan, we never put our game dominance on the scoreboard and it always feels like we have to play perfect football to get a win.

Lack of front half talent would be a big part of that, we got 2 goals from our starting forward 6 (Wright, Langford, Stringer, Caddy, Gresham, Guelfi). Both of those were from Langford.

There is something wrong with our gameplan, we never put our game dominance on the scoreboard and it always feels like we have to play perfect football to get a win.

we’re a bad transition side who generates poor forward 50 entries and has no forward pressure to get repeat entries

More about players then game plan in my opinion

Martin would be one of our best forwards if we played him there instead we waste him in defense.
If they are doing this to make sure our players can play multiple positions then let’s try Redman forward!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Martin would be one of our best forwards if we played him there instead we waste him in defense.
If they are doing this to make sure our players can play multiple positions then let’s try Redman forward!
This is one thing we need to fix. Need an attacking defender to replace Martin there.

Martin forward might allow us to actually put scoreboard pressure on opposition teams.

Scott shouldn’t cop the flack because players can’t execute or roll up the sleeves and fight the figh…. But at the same time continuing to go tall in conditions that don’t suit us and playing heppell for no good reason, well that does fall back on him. There’s not one good reason heppell was able to return to the side tonight, to make matters worse laverde will back next week and we’ll be be back to the same slow on balanced side with Kelly going back to the wing so we can accomodate for Dyson, for not good reason.
Selection is always going to be a fine line for us. The problem we have is right now it is not just match day that counts. Preparation and buy in / ability to understand the game plan in match sim is also a factor so the balance can be very close between effort to do the team stuff v game day output.

Throw in the balancing act of playing enough young guys without totally tipping the performance over as well.
I have no liked all the selections. I think they stuffed it up tonight and not just the Heppell one. Harry and Cox where always going to be ineffective on the wing. Wright can not get into the game in the dry. With Melbourne not having genuine rucks they should have left Wright out and played Cox as second ruck and someone else on a wing.

Scott has made errors for sure. Bryan / Roberts / Hayes could have snuck in 2 or 3 games . I still do not think Cox is a wing. He has given Perkins way too many games.

I have doubts if he is the next premiership coach but I do think he can take our football department out of the crap cultureless wasteland we where and build the platform for something going forward.

Is it real anger though? I feel like all will be forgiven again and we’ll go in unchanged next weekend.

We’ve lost 4 of our last 6 now
It is real anger.
I know he is not your cup of tea as he backs in the older guys and there have been times he could have played one or two of the young blokes for a bit but it is genuine anger.
Yes we have lost 4 of 6 but two where more about our turnovers / poor goal kicking than being really poor effort wise ( GC and Carlton).

Not sure what he was thinking selecting such a tall side in a wet game. And then playing some of those talls up the ground. Melbourne had a clear advantage with the extra small medium players.

2/3 of the last weeks he's cost us at the selection table.

Someone needs to get him a direct line to Jane Bunn so he can actually prepare for gameday conditions.
This is the part I don't get at all. I can manage when to do a load of washing or hold off, on the basis of the good old weather forecast.
A panel of presumably highly intelligent football people, who presumably have played wet weather footy in their lives before, made the decision to select so many talls... and didn't account for the weather.

I actually can't get my head around it. And after Geelong only two weeks ago?

Hobbs and Setters would have been champing at the bit to get at some hard contested work. Even Tsatas's scrubby kicks forward would not have been out of place given the conditions.

Selection was perplexing. If they aren't shouldering some of the blame it only speaks for arrogance and delusion.

Despite his selection habits I still believe he is the coach for Ess.

It can’t be all on him. Players need to be accountable for their development and careers too. Last night Ess season and team development truth was laid bare. When the heat is on (and the rain falling) they buckle.
The current list has deep holes. He can only work with what he has. 8 years is steep but probably a realistic view bc he needs to delist the hasbeens and couldabeens and acquire and develop talent that can go next level.

Despite his selection habits I still believe he is the coach for Ess.

It can’t be all on him. Players need to be accountable for their development and careers too. Last night Ess season and team development truth was laid bare. When the heat is on (and the rain falling) they buckle.
The current list has deep holes. He can only work with what he has. 8 years is steep but probably a realistic view bc he needs to delist the hasbeens and couldabeens and acquire and develop talent that can go next level.
I'm not at 'dump the coach' stage by any means, however, I'm not lost on the irony of coaches demanding that players learn from their experience, when their own recent lesson was so obviously ignored.

Maybe Brad was really also more focused on the umpiring than on what he and his staff could have done better; which begs the question of whether there is a systematic reflective process built into a post-game meeting the day after, involving Brad and his staff and beginning their review at the past week's selection process.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Back