Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Cops a lot of flack on here for 'not playing the kids', deserves credit when he finally does bring them in (a la Roberts, also Caddy) when they're actually at the level and can perform from their debut game.

Bit of 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' about it for Scott. Bring them in and they're not up to the level, criticism for blooding them too early. Bring them in when they're at the level and ready to perform, why didn't you bring them in earlier?
It was a long overdue debut. When guys like Menzie, Perkins and Hepp were detrimental to the team for weeks. Had he debuted against Adelaide instead of Perkins we probably win.

He plays favourites at selection and refuses to change anything until someone becomes a huge liability. If we win and look like shit, chances are he won’t make any changes to that winning formula.

It was a long overdue debut. When guys like Menzie, Perkins and Hepp were detrimental to the team for weeks. Had he debuted against Adelaide instead of Perkins we probably win.

He plays favourites at selection and refuses to change anything until someone becomes a huge liability. If we win and look like shit, chances are he won’t make any changes to that winning formula.
Was he long overdue? You're kinda proving my point. He's a first-year pick 50ish draftee who spend 3/4 of a season developing his game in the VFL and came out firing and ready to step up to the level at AFL. The fact that he came in and played well should tell you that Scott did the right thing by him and set him up for success.

Cops a lot of flack on here for 'not playing the kids', deserves credit when he finally does bring them in (a la Roberts, also Caddy) when they're actually at the level and can perform from their debut game.

Bit of 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' about it for Scott. Bring them in and they're not up to the level, criticism for blooding them too early. Bring them in when they're at the level and ready to perform, why didn't you bring them in earlier?

Hard no.

Scott clearly has issues debuting players, and has to figuratively be dragged kicking and screaming to do so.

No excuses now. Same old same olds, mentality of this group and club hasn’t changed. Pats itself on the back after achieving nothing last week and then again struggles to fall over the line against a pathetic Gold Coast.

I don't care what anyone says, Scott is an absolute spud. His list selection, player development and game day tactics are bloody ordinary. Spent half the year playing guys out of position and developing different aspects of their game for what? The skills are atrocious and he has stifled more players forms then improved it.

I don't want to list individual players but holy shit so many have gone backwards. Our team isn't that bad.

Menzie 1 disposal in that second half. He’s slow and butchers the ball. Offered nothing past the 5 min mark of the game.

Laverde all time bad again. Slow, undersized and makes bad decisions.

His selection decisions have cost us multiple games this year.
I was embracing the Scott appointment more for the shake up the back room as it was shake up the list. as of today I have doubts on either and will simply be wasting away time with Scott at the helm

I hate this football club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s his obsession with talls which concerns me. Draper, Bryan, Cox, Jones, McKay, Caddy, Laverde, (Goldstein/Wright) along with Langford and Stringer who offer little pressure… how are we supposed to applying high pressure at ground level with that? Did we not see what won Collingwood their premiership? Kills me.

It’s his obsession with talls which concerns me. Draper, Bryan, Cox, Jones, McKay, Caddy, Laverde, (Goldstein/Wright) along with Langford and Stringer who offer little pressure… how are we supposed to applying high pressure at ground level with that? Did we not see what won Collingwood their premiership? Kills me.

Literally every good team has 5 talls.

Jones being a decent winger as an oversized medium is just a bonus.

Tonight it was
FF Draper
CHF Caddy
Ruck Bryan
CHB Cox
FB McKay

Collingwood won the flag with 6

3 tall defenders
(Moore, Howe, Murphy)

3 front half talls (Cameron, Cox and McStay/Frampton)

So I’m not sure how this is relevant….

He would run the same setup aswell if it was pissing rain. Makes no sense

Literally every good team has 5 talls.

Jones being a decent winger as an oversized medium is just a bonus.

Tonight it was
FF Draper
CHF Caddy
Ruck Bryan
CHB Cox
FB McKay

Collingwood won the flag with

3 tall defenders
(Moore, Howe, Murphy)

3 front half talls (Cameron, Cox and McStay/Frampton)

So I’m not sure how this is relevant….
This is all well and good except Collingwood also had Elliot, Hill and Ginnivan as small forwards who kicked goals and apply pressure. We have Langford, Stringer, Menzie and Davey…

Menzie 1 disposal in that second half. He’s slow and butchers the ball. Offered nothing past the 5 min mark of the game.

sounds like we need to offer him 6 years

This is all well and good except Collingwood also had Elliot, Hill and Ginnivan as small forwards who kicked goals and apply pressure. We have Langford, Stringer, Menzie and Davey…

There’s a lot of things that team did better then this (or any recent) Essendon team.

But to complain about the talls because a bunch of too similar slow medium forwards don’t work together seems to be not quite right.

Menzies ability to fumble and slip over is unrivalled in the AFL. He plays like he has Parkinson's

There’s a lot of things that team did better then this (or any recent) Essendon team.

But to complain about the talls because a bunch of too similar slow medium forwards don’t work together seems to be not quite right.
That’s fair I don’t disagree. I’m a believer that Langford and Stringer can’t co-exist in a forward-line and we would be better served with an extra small (which we don’t currently have on the list).

It’s roles/functions but it’s also belief & entrenched values

I think we suck mainly because at heart, deep down, players and officials believe we suck and that an incredible, life changing season would see us one day, somehow, win one final

Under rated post this. Richmond and Melbourne the most recent teams to go through it . Gold Coast living it now as well .
You just have to keep bringing new players through and have a strong off field team and even then they have to limit the mistakes as much as they can as no matter how good you are you will make personal mistakes along the way.

I'm not sure, as a general point, that I agree with this. I don't think the Club thinks it sucks. I think the Club thinks it can't suck. And if we do suck, well we can just sack some people, preferably 'outsiders', and move on. I'm inclined to think the stuff that John Worsfold has talked about continues to age pretty well. (links at the bottom)

Now I know that we, more or less, suck albeit with green sprouts here and there that make me hopeful from time to time. But I think the Club always thinks next season is the season we become a serious team, because of all the wise and wonderful decisions we've made which means the dues have been paid and we will win stuff now -Next season will surely be it! The new coach has had one season, now it's time to win! And when that doesn't happen, we sack the coach. Obviously Scott has been very upfront in trying to fight that with the talk of a years long plan/version....and it won't help him when we sack him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Back