Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeh and who should come in other than Hobbs.
Roberts does deserve a crack but he’s not quality yet with his defensive running etc which they’re teaching him

Hobbs is one. Setterfield is an option.

One of Menzie or Davey Jr should be in - there’s zero pressure up forward right now.

Understand wanting to work on Roberts defensive side, but he’s already better there than both Martin and Heppell.

Tsatas might be better off staying in the twos, but he at least shows far more endeavour than Perkins.

We need to not be afraid to give the younger guys a go, especially when the senior guys aren’t performing. Bowey won a flag with Melbourne 3 years ago - and he was still younger than any player of ours Saturday night bar Caddy.

One of Menzie or Davey Jr should be in - there’s zero pressure up forward right now.

Understand wanting to work on Roberts defensive side, but he’s already better there than both Martin and Heppell.

Tsatas might be better off staying in the twos, but he at least shows far more endeavour than Perkins.

We need to not be afraid to give the younger guys a go, especially when the senior guys aren’t performing. Bowey won a flag with Melbourne 3 years ago - and he was still younger than any player of ours Saturday night bar Caddy.
I agree. We're not contenders and we're slready ahead of expectations for this season. I would have baulked at Tsatas earlier in the season, but I think he offers more than Perkins currently. Also keen to see Roberts and Hayes.

I'd push Martin back to a wing and give Roberts a run. Bring Hayes in for Heppell but have him play the second tall role that Reid would have played. Allow Ridley to play third tall interceptor and distributor.

Find a bench spot for Tsatas maybe, somehow, but Hobbs is my preference.

Haven’t seen anything from Menzie to suggest he’ll provide any more forward pressure than a kid’s football that’s rolled onto the ground by accident but needs pumping up.

Haven’t seen anything from Menzie to suggest he’ll provide any more forward pressure than a kid’s football that’s rolled onto the ground by accident but needs pumping up.

I rate his pressure. And the effort is always there with him. He also kicked more goals thank our entire forward line combined.

I don’t care if it’s Menzie or Davey, but the forward mix is way off at the moment

He has done a good job to have us even in contention for top 4. When people looked at our list pre season the general comments were "hard to get a read on them/ so many unanswered questions/ likely bottom 6 but could end up in 8-12 bracket with some luck".

He has the players all on same page and apart from Saturday and the Port game I would say the effort and intent has been unquestionable from them. This has covered up some glaring holes in the playing list but when we come up against the best and/or well drilled teams you can't really hide these holes with teamwork.

There's a reason we are trying jones/cox as wingers, it's because we only have one natural winger in the team (who fell into our lap and wasn't actually sought out) and also don't have rucks/key forwards capable of taking a contested grab. Against a teams like the pies/eagles jones/cox we were able to exploit their height advantage but against cats/dees they were exposed for their lack of understanding of the position. The Don The Stat guys called it in their preview podcast, Langdon is one of the best wingers going and was always going to out work them, they were hoping jones/cox could expose windsor for his lack of height but I guess the rain hampered that.

Similarly our forward line looks fine until we come against the good intercepting teams like Dees/Cats. All our forwards are good individually but too many of them need space to lead in to, we don't have a guy who consistently takes pack mark/brings it to ground and we also don't have good crumbing forwards to take advantage of messy ball going into the 50.

I think our list management team finally acknowledge these are concerns but so far the fixes are longer term projects (caddy, Roberts, davey twins) and I'm only very confident in Caddy solving one of the issues. It's good to see they went after berry/perryman/stengle but alas they all have re-signed or look likely to re-sign so I think we have to be patient for a couple of years still till these young guys come on/or we find some ready to play mature bodies that plug these gaps.
Yeah it's worth keeping our pre season expectations in mind when assessing how the season has gone so far. We've only received one genuine dicking (against Port) and the rest we've largely managed to stay with sides even when we're clearly outmatched.

There's still a lot of work to be done in terms of building up the list with more quality players but the fact that Scott has managed to wring noticeable improvement from a list widely regarded as substandard 12 months ago should give everyone confidence.

This is the part I don't get at all. I can manage when to do a load of washing or hold off, on the basis of the good old weather forecast.
A panel of presumably highly intelligent football people, who presumably have played wet weather footy in their lives before, made the decision to select so many talls... and didn't account for the weather.

I actually can't get my head around it. And after Geelong only two weeks ago?

Hobbs and Setters would have been champing at the bit to get at some hard contested work. Even Tsatas's scrubby kicks forward would not have been out of place given the conditions.

Selection was perplexing. If they aren't shouldering some of the blame it only speaks for arrogance and delusion.
Ha ha…

Who's good? Show them to me.
Pump Up Football GIF by Essendon FC

I think Brad has been huge in getting the boys to operate at a professional level - love the effort he gets out of them.

Still have concerns about our clubs play style/strategy. The loose transition play, both offence and defensively is frustrating. I think Scott needs help in this regard.

When teams roll up to play Essendon what can they expect? I don’t think anyone can answer that.

I think Brad has been huge in getting the boys to operate at a professional level - love the effort he gets out of them.

Still have concerns about our clubs play style/strategy. The loose transition play, both offence and defensively is frustrating. I think Scott needs help in this regard.

When teams roll up to play Essendon what can they expect? I don’t think anyone can answer that.
Scott has had to play conservative footy because we do not have the cattle to be too expansive. The game plan is a bit bland because it is the basics.
Change a few personal and it is different.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

8 year plan with a 36 yr old ruck and a small forward that Saints didn't want, let's not play young talent in their natural position, we'll bring back Dylan Shiel who wants to leave end of season. Have a really good hhf/wimg? Let's play him in an position he doesn't like which he's really unaccountable in. Also, let's play 5 players over 200cm and have a run and gun game plan.

He is walking talking contradiction.

What the coach is on the ground ****ing up the skill level ?

His whole schtick is that he’s not a tactician, he’s a motivator, so if he can’t consistently grab the group by the neck and have them absolutely frothing at the mouth there’s not a lot left, is there?

I know he’s not a tactician because we just got met with a flood worth of Noah and the arc and his response was ‘Stringer into the centre bounce’.

Nah, just shit team selections and game plan
Well you can not polish a turd and make it gold .
Game plan is restricted because of personal.
Selection has nothing to do wit McKay giving up 3 goals with dumb handball or the fact our midfield skills have been horrible.

Well you can not polish a turd and make it gold .
Game plan is restricted because of personal.
Selection has nothing to do wit McKay giving up 3 goals with dumb handball or the fact our midfield skills have been horrible.
I'll give you McKay
You give me Goldy

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Back