Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

So what I’m hearing you say is that all
Of those teams played 3 talls. Just like I said

Collingwood had Billy Frampton fill in for McStay in the GF

Geelong had Hawkins, Cameron + Ruck and Danger floating forward (+ Smalls)

Richmond had Nank + Riewoldt + Lynch

Melbourne had Gawn + Jackson. Can’t remember if they had another tall but they definitely had Frisch as a medium.

The formula is 3 talls, 1 medium and a bunch of pressure players.

Essendon’s pressure players aren’t delivering much pressure and that’s the real issue but that’s not the fault of Bryan/Draper/Caddy. It’s on Jake/Kyle and the other players being picked as smalls
Fake news. Nank never designated forward I watched every Richmond game. He may have drifted forward from ruck. You get that luxury if you don't stack the forward line with talls. Then it actually works.
I don't recall Geelong ruckman playing up alongside Hawkins and Cameron either.
Collingwood second tallest forward was Mihocek at 6 foot 4 after Cox. Third tall was McCreery at 6 foot 2. Then Elliott, Hill & Ginnivan.

3rd option meaning AFL back up, as a break glass because Draper and Bryan are both injured for example. The benefits we would get from a coaching perspective as well would be valuable
Options below:
1. Retire/delist - hang around the VFL team
2. Forced retirement
3. Delist

Under no circumstances should Todd be on the AFL list next year, even as a back up 5th ruckman.

The fact that we attract ordinary players from really ordinary clubs says alot. McKay has shown some good signs, but overall has been inconsistent and disappointing, are we surprised though - look where he came from!

Getting Heppell to play again has blown up in our face and ultimately saw Massimo put in a trade request to Haw. How's he going this year?

Has Scott actually improved the team in his second year? Jones he has, anyone else?
It is really strange how our players hit some type of ceiling in performance, and from there output just drops off significantly e.g. Langford, Wright, Redman. Merrett the only exception.

On the flip side, players who leave Ess go onto be very very good players which makes it even weirder. Look at Daniher, Saad, Massimo etc. I know every team has a case for this, but it is like the joint has some voodoo crap hanging over it.

Based on the last paragraph, Scott has my full support in blowing the joint up properly and starting again.

Options below:
1. Retire/delist - hang around the VFL team
2. Forced retirement
3. Delist

Under no circumstances should Todd be on the AFL list next year, even as a back up 5th ruckman.
He most likely wont be going on. If list spots were tight id want his spot freed up but i think we'll be ok there? I can see the benefits of keeping him on. Draper/Bryan obviously now 1/2. Wright, Cox and Visentini are not pure rucks but can pinchhit as required. Will depend on list spots for me.

SEN reporting that we're going to get Justin Leppitsch as a senior assistant next year.

Yes.
Please.

PidgeonSEN reporting that we're going to get Justin Leppitsch as a senior assistant next year.

Yes.
Please.

Animation Nod GIF by DLGNCE

Coup, coup

You don't sack Scott, you aggressively change the list and be prepared for a possible 12 wins from the next 3 years type of situation. Winning 10-12 games a season isn't helping us.

Edit: Or aggressively try and change the forward line, it's a massive concern.

Does Scott want to do that though? There’s a fine line, as his job as coach is to win games.

I think where the fans (or at least me) crack the sh**s is when we play guys like Heppell/Goldy/Laverde and - as you said - win 10 odd games and finish 7th-12th or whatever the case may be.

If Scott came out before next season and said we’re turning over the list, we’re going to be playing the young guys and hence are going to be sh** (which 99% of young sides are) and win 5 games, I think the vast majority would be okay with that. Suck it up for a few years, watch the young guys give it a crack and know that every loss gets us closer to the possibility of drafting some elite young talent.

The fact that we attract ordinary players from really ordinary clubs says alot. McKay has shown some good signs, but overall has been inconsistent and disappointing, are we surprised though - look where he came from!

Getting Heppell to play again has blown up in our face and ultimately saw Massimo put in a trade request to Haw. How's he going this year?

Has Scott actually improved the team in his second year? Jones he has, anyone else?
It is really strange how our players hit some type of ceiling in performance, and from there output just drops off significantly e.g. Langford, Wright, Redman. Merrett the only exception.

On the flip side, players who leave Ess go onto be very very good players which makes it even weirder. Look at Daniher, Saad, Massimo etc. I know every team has a case for this, but it is like the joint has some voodoo crap hanging over it.

Based on the last paragraph, Scott has my full support in blowing the joint up properly and starting again.

Durham, Caldwell both improved. Martin no worse than last year despite playing a different role. Jones to a wing has worked.

McKay is a neat fit for us, and defenders will often be a reflection of what goes on up the field. When we've been better pressure-wise he's been quite good. Has had a few poor moments, and maybe one genuinely poor game in it's entirety.

Saad is pretty much the exact same player at Carlton he was at EFC and Gold Coast. Same with Daniher.

Massimo is being played in a position / role that suits his strengths and covers his weakness and has done so to a very high level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He most likely wont be going on. If list spots were tight id want his spot freed up but i think we'll be ok there? I can see the benefits of keeping him on. Draper/Bryan obviously now 1/2. Wright, Cox and Visentini are not pure rucks but can pinchhit as required. Will depend on list spots for me.

Fair enough.

I see zero value on keeping a 36yo list clogger on at AFL. Go do what other clubs are good at doing and recruit a ruckman from another club that has shown a bit - moneyball

Last edited:
SEN reporting that we're going to get Justin Leppitsch as a senior assistant next year.

Yes.
Please.

If nothing else he is a good communicator, always like hearing him speak about the game.
Been a part of successful systems and comes from success as a player too.

Has a history with the forwards line so that could be where he ends up if it's not backline

If nothing else he is a good communicator, always like hearing him speak about the game.
Been a part of successful systems and comes from success as a player too.

Has a history with the forwards line so that could be where he ends up if it's not backline
From what I've read, he's one of the major masterminds behind the Richmond and Collingwood premiership winning game-plans. His tactical acumen is second to none.

His one knock is that he lacks the people skills to be a senior standalone coach and works better behind a figurehead.

Either way, it's a massive get.

From what I've read, he's one of the major masterminds behind the Richmond and Collingwood premiership winning game-plans. His tactical acumen is second to none.

His one knock is that he lacks the people skills to be a senior standalone coach and works better behind a figurehead.

Either way, it's a massive get.
So many people said the same thing about Caracella, even if it's true our black hole of a football club will destroy any brains he may have.

So many people said the same thing about Caracella, even if it's true our black hole of a football club will destroy any brains he may have.
That's my concern too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Back