Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

In a team with terrible kicks all over the ground. They chose to get rid of a young player who has one of the best kicks in the competition and apparently loved the club. He wasn’t worth a 2 year deal because of some defensive issues though! I’m happy we freed up the cap space to keep Menzie and co.

Something is seriously wrong with talent evaluation at this club.

In a team with terrible kicks all over the ground. They chose to get rid of a young player who has one of the best kicks in the competition and apparently loved the club. He wasn’t worth a 2 year deal because of some defensive issues though! I’m happy we freed up the cap space to keep Menzie and co.

Something is seriously wrong with talent evaluation at this club.
If he loved the club he would have accepted the deal offered and tried to prove himself, he took the easy way out, no one can argue he was defensively poor in his time with us as he is now, its getting overlooked due to the circlejerk surrounding him, duursma has better stats than him this year but no one is talking about him.

If he loved the club he would have accepted the deal offered and tried to prove himself, he took the easy way out
This is a guy who just entered the league and is most likely getting an extra 200-400k guaranteed with that extra year. Which was a smart decision obviously.

Club PR spin in full force hearing Watson on SEN say yeah internally we know list and club is a long way off and closer to bottom four as percentage says.

If you are stating that and if true than think selection this year has been even more confusing. Think most have been calling for Scott to play more kids and only really doing it now.

A waste and nothing year this year as laverde, heppel, golstein, Wright, kelly all senior players played about 5-10 games more than they should have. Another 20 games that could have gone into hayes, byran, roberts and caddy.

Think a good competetive coach but just not sure how we build a elite list with scotts current approach and dodoro still around in some capacity.

Scott got most out of group which is a sign of a good coach but if the best is 9th we actually need to take a step back and get a better group/list.

Club PR spin in full force hearing Watson on SEN say yeah internally we know list and club is a long way off and closer to bottom four as percentage says.

Think most have been calling for Scott to play more kids and only really doing it now.

A waste and nothing year this year as laverde, heppel, golstein, Wright, kelly all senior players played about 5-10 games more than they should have. Another 20 games that could have gone into hayes, byran, roberts and caddy.

Think a good competetive coach but just not sure how we build a elite list with scotts current approach and dodoro still around in some capacity.
For a good chunk of the season we were playing decent footy and were a shot at not just making finals but finishing in the top 4. I don't think it was every realistic but can you imagine the screeching from the nuffies in the cheap seats if Scott had pulled senior players from a potentially finals bound side to play a bunch of kids?

For a good chunk of the season we were playing decent footy and were a shot at not just making finals but finishing in the top 4. I don't think it was every realistic but can you imagine the screeching from the nuffies in the cheap seats if Scott had pulled senior players from a potentially finals bound side to play a bunch of kids?
Yeah but shows a weak club dictated by noise if what Watson and the pr mouth pieces now say is true then. Prioritised a 9th place, hopeless effort over building something sustainable and successful.

Great insight into why we have sucked and been the worst run club in last 2 decades. Great at PR though and selling false hope and spin.

I think the willingness of supporters to buy memberships, turn up to games and blame coaches/players instead of really looking at the governance, administration and list management over last 2 decades holds this club back a lot.

We blame coaches, afl, players but have not seen many calling up or refusing to buy memberships or turn up until sheedy, dodoro or the president are gone.

We have better coaches, better players but actually means nothing until your administration, management and governance are sorted. I'm not confident this is.

At one stage of the season, we had Wright, Goldstein and Draper in the side. Scott needed multiple weeks to figure out that didn’t work. Most people on here needed zero weeks.

I’m not willing to all of a sudden hear rehearsed nonsense on how bad the list is when the difference between where we are now and being half a game clear ontop of the ladder is Saints at Marvel, Adelaide at Marvel, GC at Marvel and Melbourne at the G. Even 3 of 4 has us clear in second.

The list was in exactly the same stead 3 months ago and if they weren’t saying it then I’m not copping it from them now.

I’m not willing to all of a sudden hear rehearsed nonsense on how bad the list is when the difference between where we are now and being half a game clear ontop of the ladder is Saints at Marvel, Adelaide at Marvel, GC at Marvel and Melbourne at the G. Even 3 of 4 has us clear in second.

The list was in exactly the same stead 3 months ago and if they weren’t saying it then I’m not copping it from them now.
Its not the list, its purely mental, look at carlton last year, bottom dwellers first half of the season, world beaters second half of the season. Confidence and belief are holding us back, like brad said the moment something is at stake, they cant handle it, they played scared footy from the start against gc and instead of what should have been a relatively easy win become an arm wrestle and an eventual panicky loss.

Its not the list, its purely mental, look at carlton last year, bottom dwellers first half of the season, world beaters second half of the season. Confidence and belief are holding us back, like brad said the moment something is at stake, they cant handle it, they played scared footy from the start against gc and instead of what should have been a relatively easy win become an arm wrestle and an eventual panicky loss.

Definitely some mental aspect, but the list is pretty ordinary.

The season is long enough that most luck is removed from the equation. If you look at the ladder now, the 9 teams above us are pretty clearly better sides with better lists.

Teams always end up where they belong (ladder position) by the end of the season

Apparently, Leppa is Head of Strategy/Forward Coach at Collingwood. I know his initial head coach stint didn't work out, but he will have learnt a lot since then. In addition to his work at Collingwood, he was an assistant at Richmond from 2016-2020. Could actually be a good get.

Well that is actually the list . The mentally weak need to be turned over . Better leadership depth. Harder edge players. Players that are not just happy to be playing AFL.

Apparently, Leppa is Head of Strategy/Forward Coach at Collingwood. I know his initial head coach stint didn't work out, but he will have learnt a lot since then. In addition to his work at Collingwood, he was an assistant at Richmond from 2016-2020. Could actually be a good get.
Failed as a head coach but Brisbane where basket cases at that stage. Very smart operator . Was a really good listen when he had his weekly spot on SEN.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They where saying it at the start of the season.

Well that is actually the list . The mentally weak need to be turned over . Better leadership depth. Harder edge players. Players that are not just happy to be playing AFL.
Problem is, some of the mentally weak are on long term deals and in the leadership group.

As TheGrizz was saying on the pod last night though, there were a number of games we won by less than a kick not to mention the draw. Where would we have been on the ladder if the luck hadn't gone our way with those? The list isn't bad but it's obviously not great either. It's middle of the road which is exactly where we are.

I think both things can be true

That the list has clear holes that need addressing and that Scott didn’t optimise the list for best results

For instance Ridley barely played any 3rd tall despite it looking great when he did

Rolling with a Merrett Caldwell Durham Sheil Parish midfield for ants when it’s clearly too small to be effective

Issues finding a forward mix that could pressure adequately despite having an overly small list.

Needed 2 or 3 reliable midsized mids to take a step forward the only one that did was Durham

As TheGrizz was saying on the pod last night though, there were a number of games we won by less than a kick not to mention the draw. Where would we have been on the ladder if the luck hadn't gone our way with those? The list isn't bad but it's obviously not great either. It's middle of the road which is exactly where we are.

Exactly.

Those same endemic problems were there then, but all I heard then from everyone internal and external was ‘there’s no limit on what we can achieve’ and prelims and excitement.

I’m not at all saying there aren’t problems there but they can’t have it both ways.

Exactly.

Those same endemic problems were there then, but all I heard then from everyone internal and external was ‘there’s no limit on what we can achieve’ and prelims and excitement.

I’m not at all saying there aren’t problems there but they can’t have it both ways.
I don't recall anyone mentioning prelims unless you mean in the context of Brad making one with norf and at the time there was no limit on what they could achieve. There is now obviously because they ****ed it up and have all but run out of chances.

Problem is, some of the mentally weak are on long term deals and in the leadership group.

This is the biggest issue with the list...Players that are mentally weak, don't have the competitive edge/hunger and simply don't get the job done when the whips get cracking, have all been rewarded with long term deals.

I was devastated with losing D'Ambrosio. I remember thinking we should bring him in for ANZAC Day when Merrett was out as the best like replacement we had.
Alas, Scott didn't see it that way. Only saw him as defender.
Also I was disappointed with the lack of support around here. I don't recall any of you giving a damn.
You were all too busy talking up Hunter I guess.

I was devastated with losing D'Ambrosio. I remember thinking we should bring him in for ANZAC Day when Merrett was out as the best like replacement we had.
Alas, Scott didn't see it that way. Only saw him as defender.
Also I was disappointed with the lack of support around here. I don't recall any of you giving a damn.
You were all too busy talking up Hunter I guess.
If only you'd joined up back then to tell us this maybe we could've prevented it. Shame.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Back