Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't recall anyone mentioning prelims unless you mean in the context of Brad making one with norf and at the time there was no limit on what they could achieve. There is now obviously because they ****ed it up and have all but run out of chances.

I get what Zach is saying though - he (Scott) has had two full seasons to evaluate the list. The same thing has happened both times - this year, at full strength, we’ve learned it’s not good enough to make finals.

Next season, for eg., we can’t have Goldy playing 11 of the first 12 games and Bryan playing none. That decision may cost us a game or two - but we need to start pumping games into these younger guys. Finals shouldn’t be an absolute priority next year imo - seeing what we’ve got in Bryan, Hayes, Caddy, Roberts, Tsatas, Hobbs, etc. should be the priority.

I get what Zach is saying though - he (Scott) has had two full seasons to evaluate the list. The same thing has happened both times - this year, at full strength, we’ve learned it’s not good enough to make finals.

Next season, for eg., we can’t have Goldy playing 11 of the first 12 games and Bryan playing none. That decision may cost us a game or two - but we need to start pumping games into these younger guys. Finals shouldn’t be an absolute priority next year imo - seeing what we’ve got in Bryan, Hayes, Caddy, Roberts, Tsatas, Hobbs, etc. should be the priority.

We've been pumping games in to Perkins and Cox and they're not obviously any the better for it.

Problem is, some of the mentally weak are on long term deals and in the leadership group.
As we have seen recently long term deals are not always long term.

And which of the players I listed would you have ‘building’ in the VFL next year?

The ones that need it?

For all the huffing and puffing it hasn't done Bryan any harm to marinate in the VFL for the last few years, nor has it harmed Hayes. Caddy spent a few weeks in the VFL building continuity as a KPF and was able to come into the AFL side as a KPF despite not yet being at the size and strength level he'll need to be. Roberts has been able to build continuity at VFL level and then step up into the same role at AFL level and show form as a more outside running player. Tsatas has been sent back to build continuity in the inside midfield role he's expected to play at AFL level and I hope he'll stay there until he's physically ready to fill that role at AFL level.

These are all things we didn't do with Cox or Perkins and we still have no idea what they'll be yet. Hobbs has been thrown around a lot and never spent much time playing as an inside mid at any level and we're none the wiser as to whether he'll actually be an inside mid at AFL level.

Players that are expected to play key positions or inside roles need a level of physical size and strength that outside players don't, and playing them early won't change whether they have that size or strength.

The ones that need it?

For all the huffing and puffing it hasn't done Bryan any harm to marinate in the VFL for the last few years, nor has it harmed Hayes. Caddy spent a few weeks in the VFL building continuity as a KPF and was able to come into the AFL side as a KPF despite not yet being at the size and strength level he'll need to be. Roberts has been able to build continuity at VFL level and then step up into the same role at AFL level and show form as a more outside running player. Tsatas has been sent back to build continuity in the inside midfield role he's expected to play at AFL level and I hope he'll stay there until he's physically ready to fill that role at AFL level.

These are all things we didn't do with Cox or Perkins and we still have no idea what they'll be yet. Hobbs has been thrown around a lot and never spent much time playing as an inside mid at any level and we're none the wiser as to whether he'll actually be an inside mid at AFL level.

Players that are expected to play key positions or inside roles need a level of physical size and strength that outside players don't, and playing them early won't change whether they have that size or strength.

Right - so some might need extra time in the VFL, and some won’t.

The examples I listed (Bryan, Hayes, Caddy, Roberts, Tsatas, Hobbs) should be playing AFL next year, form pending.

We went in to Round 2 or 3 or whatever it was as the older side against Sydney this year - that can’t keep happening.

The examples I listed (Bryan, Hayes, Caddy, Roberts, Tsatas, Hobbs) should be playing AFL next year, form pending.

We went in to Round 2 or 3 or whatever it was as the older side against Sydney this year - that can’t keep happening.
Hobbs had just come back from injury and the others weren’t ready for round 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who cares . We went into last week younger than North .

Who cares . We went into last week younger than North .

Which is great - I just think we’ve seen what the older guys can do for us. We max out just out of the top 8.

Let’s give Caddy, Bryan, Hobbs and Roberts 15+ games at AFL level next year and see what they can do.

Which is great - I just think we’ve seen what the older guys can do for us. We max out just out of the top 8.

Let’s give Caddy, Bryan, Hobbs and Roberts 15+ games at AFL level next year and see what they can do.
Well that was sort of what this year was / is about. Coach working out who actually fits and who does not and there will alive mistake along the way . Every club makes them. It is about not making too many

Well that was sort of what this year was / is about. Coach working out who actually fits and who does not and there will alive mistake along the way . Every club makes them. It is about not making too many
Didn't Brad say last year was about assessing the list?

Over It Im Done GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Back