Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

he’s lost the players!!

“ A group of Essendon players were left angry with the club’s decision not to select retiring star Dyson Heppell for Friday night’s clash agains

The fact we have players sooking it up about farewell games highlights the fact there is massive culture problem.

Too much entitlement.

I wouldn't take any notice of this from Sam Edmund, it is 100% pure speculation and such low hanging fruit that is likely Sam guessing.

Totally lost me by not playing Heppell at home in a must win game against Sydney.

Disrespectful to Heppells contribution to the club. And would have given the players a rise.

Just a stupid decision all round.
I'd bet he's lost the players respect.

Club was damned if you do, damned if you don't. If Heppell played and we lost by 39 points, the media and fans would've said "this club isn't serious, finals on the line and the club gifted a farewell game".

Heppell's refusal to play VFL is disappointing and might have worked against him. Did you see Archie Roberts' performance playing that HB/wing role? Stoked with his output and experience in that role and would he have gained that experience with Heppell playing?

SEN reporting that we're going to get Justin Leppitsch as a senior assistant next year.

Yes.
Please.
Looks unlikely ..this from Age article about Pies Graham Wright resigning..

IMG_5299.jpeg

Club was damned if you do, damned if you don't. If Heppell played and we lost by 39 points, the media and fans would've said "this club isn't serious, finals on the line and the club gifted a farewell game".

Heppell's refusal to play VFL is disappointing and might have worked against him. Did you see Archie Roberts' performance playing that HB/wing role? Stoked with his output and experience in that role and would he have gained that experience with Heppell playing?

Wouldn't have been a gifted game. He's been playing well this year and just came off a 2 week rest. He's also better that Weidemann, Kelly back there.

I said I wasn't comparing us to GWS or Collingwood. I was using examples to illustrate that coaches do not need time for its sake. It is quite clear to me that, based on the way it is discussed, leeway is afforded to coaches because it takes years to teach players a system. But it doesn't. It takes a really young group time to develop the physical maturity and experience to be able to implement the plan that a group of quality, experienced players doesn't need more than a few months to learn.

If we botched the rebuild, he shouldn't have let us commit to every part of it. No one at Essendon believes we are years away. That is a smokescreen that clears as soon as you see the list of uncontracted players. I look forward to the next round of mediocre free agents we will bring in to fix up the culture of the place.

We're told that the path to overcoming addiction is to admit you have a problem. Essendon has never even considered going to a meeting.
I understand what you are saying with the coaches . GWS and Collingwood are classic examples where a coach can have an instant impact as they had a lot of quality on the list and long term coaches leaving. Players got a fresh voice and a few minor adjustments to the game plan.

I think we know we have a problem. It is not a smokescreen.
I agree they have dropped the ball last year with the McGrath and Parish 6 year deals. Not really sure there is a big issue with giving Cox another two years to develop despite the question marks I have on him. Same with Perkins. The Menzie deal is basically 1 year so they do not have to take a pick at the arse end of the draft that will cost us two years on the list and only have a small chance of playing 50 games.

As for mediocre free agents.
Goldstein was simply cover for Draper who has not managed to play a full season yet.
McKay has had an ordinary back end of the season but we needed a FB.
Gresham is a B grade player who you could say we did not need.

They have finally extracted Dodoro out of the football department. The team we have now have more of an Eagles flavour .
If you look at other clubs builds they all have a few FA or trades that end up being average. The Hawks traded for few that did not work out.

I think they painted themselves into a corner last year. Parish and McGrath where just dumb 6 year deals.

Maybe i am getting splinters from sitting on the fence too much as well.

Last edited:
What does cut deep mean, how may players?

No teams can really cut deep anymore

Hunter
Heppell
Hind
Weideman
Goldstein

Are definitely gone. Then plenty of noise around players such as Stringer, Hobbs and Shiel

Scott knows he needs to be fairly competitive next year, so guys like Stringer, Guelfi, Kelly, Baldwin types likely are offered deals
What noise around Stringer?

The only 'noise' I've heard is from BF people wanting him traded.

Wouldn't have been a gifted game. He's been playing well this year and just came off a 2 week rest. He's also better that Weidemann, Kelly back there.

So which tall forward was Heppell playing on?

Heppell's form has most definitely dipped as the year has gone on and he wasn't playing VFL either.

I think they painted themselves into a corner last year. Parish and McGrath where just dumb 6 year deals.
I wondered if Dodoro saw it as a point of pride to not let a required player leave on his watch even if it meant giving merely AFL standard players superstar deals. Compared to other clubs where they'd stand firm and collect the draft picks if the player leaves for a better deal than their club was willing to offer.

At least it seems like we're not paying Parish heaps even if it's a longer term deal.

He had no game time into him for 3 weeks by the time the Sydney game was due to be played. That's poor form from anyone, let alone a former captain.

Secondly, it was Heppell underperforming and being gifted games despite it that put us in the position we were in. If he had taken it upon himself to recognise his output and rest himself periodically like Goldy, he probably would've timed himself well closer to the end of the year and not caused the team to carry him/underperform in terms of results.

He also refused to believe it was time until way late. If he was serious about his position in the team and made the call earlier then he may have had a send off earlier when his form was more acceptable or when the team's season wasn't at a more critical point.

Fact of the matter is his retirement was 2 years too late and it took a new coach to pry the captaincy off him and give it to someone who had higher standards for the team and who could actually hold a spot that wasn't given out of pity. Should be thankful he was able to continue for as long as he did and be content with a possible send-off in Brisbane.

He is a great person but was an average leader who set the tone of unaccountability and laziness that Merrett is still trying to recover the club from to this day.

Noise around offering him just a 1 year deal which id say may make Stringer consider things

Then depending on $$ of the contract really makes a decision for him

I don't mind Stringer considering other options. Normally he plays a lot better in a contract year, but this year he's been really up and down. What sort of output could we expect from him next year if he's given a multi year deal?

I don't mind Stringer considering other options. Normally he plays a lot better in a contract year, but this year he's been really up and down. What sort of output could we expect from him next year if he's given a multi year deal?
That's a bit of a myth. His best two seasons for the Dogs were whilst under contract.

He had no game time into him for 3 weeks by the time the Sydney game was due to be played. That's poor form from anyone, let alone a former captain.

Secondly, it was Heppell underperforming and being gifted games despite it that put us in the position we were in. If he had taken it upon himself to recognise his output and rest himself periodically like Goldy, he probably would've timed himself well closer to the end of the year and not caused the team to carry him/underperform in terms of results.

He also refused to believe it was time until way late. If he was serious about his position in the team and made the call earlier then he may have had a send off earlier when his form was more acceptable or when the team's season wasn't at a more critical point.

Fact of the matter is his retirement was 2 years too late and it took a new coach to pry the captaincy off him and give it to someone who had higher standards for the team and who could actually hold a spot that wasn't given out of pity. Should be thankful he was able to continue for as long as he did and be content with a possible send-off in Brisbane.

He is a great person but was an average leader who set the tone of unaccountability and laziness that Merrett is still trying to recover the club from to this day.

He's played well for the most part of the last two years. And if he plays next week, then he was good enough to play last week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's played well for the most part of the last two years.

Well is a stretch. More like serviceably, and through a charitable selection at that. The side has been carrying him for years.

And if he plays next week, then he was good enough to play last week.

Nope. If he plays next week, it's because it's a dead rubber. Same reason Hurley was played in the last game of 2022.

Well is a stretch. More like serviceably, and through a charitable selection at that. The side has been carrying him for years.

Nope. If he plays next week, it's because it's a dead rubber. Same reason Hurley was played in the last game of 2022.

He's played well over the last 2 years. And if he plays its because he deserves his spot.

Everyone's going to need a new whipping boy now.

Back to Brad Scott. If Essendon don't make finals next year - he's gone.

He's played well over the last 2 years. And if he plays its because he deserves his spot.

Everyone's going to need a new whipping boy now.

Back to Brad Scott. If Essendon don't make finals next year - he's gone.
In your opinion in which you also said a slow, unaccountable defender a few years past it should have been played in a "must win game" against the top side.

Chopping amd changing coaches has really worked in the past hasnt it? Sorry but Brad will be here so prepare to be disappointed.

Noise around offering him just a 1 year deal which id say may make Stringer consider things

Then depending on $$ of the contract really makes a decision for him
Ah, so noise at our end, not that any interest has yet been shown.

He turns 31 in April and his form is unreliable. 1 year deal is reasonable. He might have to wait until finals are done for clubs to start registering interest. He doesn't show the leadership capacity for a young developing list, but a failed contender might see his value. Either way, Jake is making up the numbers next year on his inconsistent form and age.

Many Essendon fans only know one thing. To blame coaches for everything...
You're selling us short, we also know how to blame the following things for everything:
  • Umpires
  • Injuries
  • Travelling
  • AFL (City Hall)
  • Rain (actually playing a winter sport outside)
  • Spongy floors
  • Alternate jumpers
  • Let's get loud
  • Neale Danihers knee
  • The list goes on...

In your opinion in which you also said a dependable defender should have been played in a "must win game" against the top side.

Chopping amd changing coaches has really worked in the past hasnt it? Sorry but Brad will be here so prepare to be disappointed.

I never said that so I fixed that for you Mike ^.

If Scott doesn't make finals in his first 3 years, i don't see him keeping his job. The only coaches who do are those is a rebuild. Which we are not.

Last edited:

If Scott doesn't make finals in his first 3 years, i don't see him keeping his job. The only coaches who do are those is a rebuild. Which we are not.

I think if we jump out the gate again at the start of the year and then fall off a cliff then there could be some pressure on Scott.

But if we show some improvement next year in attitude and consistency then I think Scott will be safe. We may not have gutted the list, but the club has done a rebuild in other ways, and there has been a fair amount of player turnover. I think he'll see out his contract as long as we keep improving.

I think if we jump out the gate again at the start of the year and then fall off a cliff then there could be some pressure on Scott.

But if we show some improvement next year in attitude and consistency then I think Scott will be safe. We may not have gutted the list, but the club has done a rebuild in other ways, and there has been a fair amount of player turnover. I think he'll see out his contract as long as we keep improving.

Yes I agree Niffty. At the least he'd have to show his plan has us on the verge by half way through next year.
If it's another year of uncertain mediocrity like this year, I think Essendon will move him on.

I don't agree with his selections, team structure and gameplan but if there's a method to his madness, and it ends up clicking, then I'll eat my words and be very happy.

Last edited:

There is no chance Scott gets sacked next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Back