Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

There is no chance Scott gets sacked next year.

Why do you think that? Our recent history proves otherwise.
Essendon the business can't afford to have their backers and supporters feeling like the team is going nowhere for any length of time. 3 years with the same coach and not looking like it, would be their patience limit.
That's when they try something else to reinvigorate the faith in the brand.

Yes I agree Niffty. At the least he'd have to show his plan has us on the verge by half way through next year.
If it's another year of uncertain mediocrity like this year, I think Essendon will move him on.

I don't agree with his selections, team structure and gameplan but if there's a method to his madness, and it ends up clicking, then I'll eat my words and be very happy.

If we have a crap first half next year then there could be a bit of unrest, however I think we're going to be judged a lot more on our second half rather than the first half. The media's going to be waiting to jump on us the minute they sense there could be another collapse.

If we have a crap first half next year then there could be a bit of unrest, however I think we're going to be judged a lot more on our second half rather than the first half. The media's going to be waiting to jump on us the minute they sense there could be another collapse.

Yes, and that substantiated pressure makes businesses make moves to level the unrest.

Essendon the business can't afford to have their backers and supporters feeling like the team is going nowhere for any length of time. 3 years with the same coach and not looking like it, would be their patience limit.

I don't believe that Barham and the current board would make a move on Brad Scott in year 3 when they blew everything up to get him. It also depends on the internal conversations around where they think they're actually at.

If we miss finals, I am certain Scott won't be sacked.

Ah, so noise at our end, not that any interest has yet been shown.

He turns 31 in April and his form is unreliable. 1 year deal is reasonable. He might have to wait until finals are done for clubs to start registering interest. He doesn't show the leadership capacity for a young developing list, but a failed contender might see his value. Either way, Jake is making up the numbers next year on his inconsistent form and age.
I agree, think his back half has really come off

He could win a final for someone in the next 2 years though, but things have to go well

Would only be contenders and id say only victorian

Geelong
Hawks
Carlton
Pies

Probably the only realistic options for him

I don't believe that Barham and the current board would make a move on Brad Scott in year 3 when they blew everything up to get him. It also depends on the internal conversations around where they think they're actually at.

It wasn't really Brad that they blew everything up for though.
The media pressure has gone up a notch over the past few weeks, will be relentless if this happens again next year. And if it does happen again, is he really the right man for the job?

I don't think they blew everything up to get him specifically.
The internal investigations weren't centred around a specific coach.

Last edited:
The media pressure has gone up a notch over the past few weeks, will be relentless if this happens again next year. And if it does happen again, is he really the right man for the job?

Not Brad Scott specifically, but they blew it up to get an experienced coach in.

They pursued Brad after Clako and Lyon said no

I don't think they blew everything up to get him specifically.
The internal investigations weren't centred around a specific coach.

Not Brad Scott specifically, but they blew it up to get an experienced coach in.

They pursued Brad after Clarko and Lyon said no

Or if they were they missed him.

And chambo00, what exactly was blown up? Same assistants, same structures?

President, coach, CEO, restructure, new staff, list manager...They blew everything up off field.

Is that not blowing it up?

Brad Scott won't be fired next year if we miss finals.

I don't think people realise how bad things were off field and Scott probably didn't even realise. I am okay with Scott coaching, I have been critical of some things, but I do not believe they will sack him in year 3.

So who is the right man for the job?

Hird/Thompson failed
Worsfold failed
Rutten failed

Yze would have crashed and burned.

If we sack Scott, we will become a poison chalice. I think we have yo be patient (hate saying that when it comes to Essendon), but the money spent on development will show rewards on field in another 2-3 years with the new crop of young players coming through. Look at all the successful sides of the past 15 years, those rebuilds and rebuilding of culture took longer than 3 years.

So who is the right man for the job?
I have no idea, but if there's no progress next year there will be a lot of pressure from multiple angles. Hopefully we show something, which will give him some air.
Personally I think we should start the season like a house on fire, power through the winter months, then finish off strong:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brad Scott as the coach has nothing to do with the changes they put in place post investigation.

They'd have no problem making the move if need be.

Did the club not make significant changes off field? Did the club go out and search for an experienced coach?

I can't see Barham/Vozzo making the call to move Scott on when everyone is preaching stability. If they move on Brad Scott next year, the club will prove even more how incompetent they are.

Who would want the job?

I have no idea, but if there's no progress next year there will be a lot of pressure from multiple angles. Hopefully we show something, which will give him some air.
Personally I think we should start the season like a house on fire, power through the winter months, then finish off strong:D

Absolutely, that would be the dream.

I think progress has been made this year, but I think there still needs to be significant turnover of the list. Brad inherited the list and he and Rosa need time to turn it over.

The man who labelled the list a bunch of spuds and who Essendon didn't listen to 16 years earlier, which was the first time he (accurately) assessed an Essendon list.
There is a bit of urban myth surrounding the Hardwicke v Knights .
Knights did not hold back on the list either. He retired a few of the old stars in the next few years. He was just as blunt about where they needed to go.
Take this to the bank.
Knights got the job because he came in with a whole of football department plan including recruiting set up , intended game plan , long term list plan , improvements needed to the VFL program and player development.
Hardwicke came in with list analysis and projected game plan.
You can obviously say they made the wrong choice but it is not 100% clear Hardwicke was ready at that stage either. He stayed at the Hawks and was part of the 2008 flag before he got the Tigers gig.
Knights did not have what it took to be a senior coach in the end but he would have got the spot at any club with the detailed presentation he did.

If we've been anything in the past decade or more it's consistent in our approach to being shit and ensuring we remain there. Maybe, just maybe, the bolded is a large part of the problem. You can't turn around a cultural problem when a significant part of the cultural problem comes to the fore every time things get tough.

I'm willing to give Scott 2 more years with a recruiting and list management team that has no Dodoro fingerprints on every selection/deal/contract. List turnover is still sorely needed so let's see what happens there and what he can do with it. If by then we're still wallowing in the mid/upper reaches of the bottom 10 teams then I'll start sooking about him quite loudly.

This doesn't mean I'm not a bit frustrated with him this season, but he inherited a hell of a shit sandwich where there aren't any quick fixes to turn it around.

Well we aren't getting that man and who would want to touch Essendon if we sacked Scott next year? The optics of that would be a disaster

If we sacked Scott next year, it will be year 5 of the rebuild which didn't start as a scorched earth rebuild.

How long does the coach want? We're not waiting for 18 year olds to mature.

He wants this group of player. There is no logical alternative inference to be draw from team selection and list management (in respect he has had the final say). He can either make it work next year or he has no business continuing.

The man who labelled the list a bunch of spuds and who Essendon didn't listen to 16 years earlier, which was the first time he (accurately) assessed an Essendon list.
Im not a Scott hater but Dimma was definitely my preference. I dont get why we didnt ask the question.
Who cares if he was contracted, we are seeing contracts arent worth the paper they are written on nowadays.

Anyway whats done is done, we didnt have the guts to go behind another teams back re Dimma but GC did (even if they said they asked the q after he resigned from richmond).
Im backing scott for now but this pre-season is the big one for him/Barham/Vozzo. No more sheedy/Dodoro, no more saga players to weigh us down. I want to see an actual change in the list management strategy and some bold/ruthless moves made.

If we sacked Scott next year, it will be year 5 of the rebuild which didn't start as a scorched earth rebuild.

How long does the coach want? We're not waiting for 18 year olds to mature.

He wants this group of player. There is no logical alternative inference to be draw from team selection and list management (in respect he has had the final say). He can either make it work next year or he has no business continuing.

How is it year 5 under Scott next year?

They pursued Brad after Clarko and Lyon said no

It was 3am and the nightclub was about to close. Essendon's advances had already been rejected multiple times, and Brad was the last girl at the bar. They took a chance and he said yes...

It was 3am and the nightclub was about to close. Essendon's advances had already been rejected multiple times, and Brad was the last girl at the bar. They took a chance and he said yes...

Are you suggesting we've woken up and need to chew our arm off and sneak out? 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Back