Merged clash jumper threads

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Eddie on 3AW re clash jumpers - time for some facts

Geez and people wonder why Eddie doesnt want Port wearing the Prison bars, wont be long and they will doing a North and trying to make us change our jumper because it clashes with their newer jumper they brought in despite it clashing with us

It's already been proven that our jumper is older then yours.

And we don't want Collingwood to change, every North supporter has said their fine with both clubs wearing stripes, and us wearing our white shorts.

North supporters only get pissed off when Eddie goes on radio and publicly lambasts the history of our club with outright lies.

We're just as proud of our history, as your club is.

He can stick up for his club, just don't make up lies and bag our club, when it's an AFL rule.

It's already been proven that our jumper is older then yours.

And we don't want Collingwood to change, every North supporter has said their fine with both clubs wearing stripes, and us wearing our white shorts.

North supporters only get pissed off when Eddie goes on radio and publicly lambasts the history of our club with outright lies.

We're just as proud of our history, as your club is.

He can stick up for his club, just don't make up lies and bag our club, when it's an AFL rule.

Most supporters outside of Collingwood are sick and tired of all the goings on at that club and how every one else is expected to bend over and take it.

Re: Clash Jumper Solutions

A thread for posting solutions to clashes for teams who'd prefer to wear their traditional jumper(e.g. north wearing white shorts and collingwood wearing black). This thread could also be used to discuss teams that obviously don't clash but are made to wear clash jumpers anyway.

personally i dont think essendon should wear a clash jumper against richmond but if the afl really thinks its a problem we should just wear red shorts.

Coloured shorts are cool and remind me of the 80's.

There is no practical solution from here that would work and be supported.
The obvious best solution is that every team have a White based jumper and a coloured based jumper and the Home Team wears Coloured jumper and the away team wears the white based jumper.

Will never happen as there is too much history in the current jumpers!

Molly

There is no practical solution from here that would work and be supported.
The obvious best solution is that every team have a White based jumper and a coloured based jumper and the Home Team wears Coloured jumper and the away team wears the white based jumper.

Molly
Thats far from the best solution, Collingwood?

Re: Collingwood's Away Jumper!!

You seem pretty reasonable, and not at all rabid. You must forgive some of the anti-Collingwood reaction in a thread like this, as there are a lot of "FFS! WE ARE COLLINGWOOD" responses, there are suggestions that the simple solution is just for every Collingwood v North game just be a Collingwood home game, problem solved.

You get tarred with the same brush because of who you support, unfairly or not.

And, to look at the substance of your post, you are expressing the idea which is always expressed by Collingwood fans in these threads: There is no clash.

You do it a little more eloquently, but it is the same sentiment. I'm telling you I do see a clash. North wore away strips at a home game, why would this happen if there were no clash? Why is there any talk about this at all if there are no clashes?

If I am the only person in the whole world who sees a clash, then the clash problem isn't really a problem at all, it is confined to me alone. But I am not the only person who sees a clash, the problem is not confined to me alone, and no matter how rabidly or how eloquently you tell me "THERE IS NO PROBLEM!!! FFS!!!" you will not change my opinion, you will not solve the problem.

Collingwood claims black and white stripes as their right, no other side can have them. Okay then, but recognise you have a strip that is light and dark simultaneously. There is no obvious remedy for this other than a proper clash strip for Collingwood. Your current white strip is good, but does not solve clashes with another 'light' team. "Well, that's what we wear. Make them wear something else." is not a fair and equitable solution to this problem that you cause by having a light/dark jumper.

If Collingwood wore a black jumper with thin white stripes (like the Port prison bar jumper above, but with no 'crossbar' and with perhaps thinner stripes) would this be so bad? It would certainly resolve the clash you have with North Melbourne and Geelong. I don't even think they would need to wear white shorts at home then.

Excellent post :thumbsu:

Not suprised no pies fans have responded to it yet.

;) It was a waste of time though, it would seem. So many people are wringing their hands, saying things just have to be "fair".

What's unfair about Collingwood and North just wearing the same uniforms they've worn against each other for decades, as Rohan Connolly also pointed out today?

Some folk just seem to love a good whinge, even if it's about nothing. Eddie's all wound up, lopping heads off anyone who comes close enough, Arocca's all wound up, with his team making some pointless gesture during the warm-up. All these people with nothing to do with either club are wound up. And why? because we should all be under the same pointless jumper rule?

Neither side is really right in this argument. It's the argument itself that's flawed.

Madness.

I am happy to get a home game vs Essendon, Richmond and Carlton and see Pies go interstate for an extra match. Lock it in. I will be missing the 4 extra points; Essendon, Carlton and Richmond are likely to be stronger opposition. ;)

Get rid of all the clash jumpers. Somehow they managed to cope for over 100 years, and it's not like any of the interstate teams that have been introduced clash at all.

The whole clash jumper issue is a marketing wankfest introduced by Andy "I wish i ran a sport in the USA" Demetriou.

The worst clashes I see are:::

Collingwood/Geelong - (to solve it: Geelong white shorts, Collingwood black)
Collingwood/North Melbourne - (again fine if collingwood wear black, North white SO SIMPLE!)
Collingwood/Port Adelaide - (fine if collingwood wear predominantly white jumper)
Essendon/Fremantle - (only a problem if Freo home game, solved with red shorts maybe?)
Essendon/Richmond - (can be solved if Essendon wear red shorts/Richmond white)
Fremantle/Melbourne - (much easier on the weekend with the Dee's silver jumper, even if it does look atrocious)
Richmond/West Coast - (Was a bad clash the other week, worsened by the fact that Richmond were wearing white shorts and the Eagles have white on their jumper. You'd think the Eagles would be amiable to wearing their royal blue jumpers at home to solve this in the future)

As you can see, its pretty much all about the shorts. To avoid clashes all they have to do is get rid of the tradition of white shorts for the away side. Common sense simply just has to prevail. I.e. if there is a possible clash and your club has more white in their jumper, whilst the other club doesn't, bloody well wear white shorts!!! Problem solved, it will appease everybody in most instances.

Having said that, clash jumpers are a good thing and those against them are just stubborn and backwards. Clubs can adopt effective clash jumpers that can become their traditional away strips. They only make the viewing experience better for the fans. Did the Socceroos care when they had to wear their navy blue number against Brazil in the World Cup? Of course they didn't, nor do England when they wear Red etc. etc.

There were a few other bad clashes that previously existed but thanks to the clubs adopting clash strips they are fine now.:thumbsu:

I think clashes do exist in tha AFL - not sure though that collingwood has a clash - maybe with St Kilda - that's about it.

A large number of people just want to see Collingwood forced to wear a different jumper - "to stick it up em"

Surely there is a way for Collingwood to have an alternative strip that is still black and white stripes. The suggestion made of thinning out either the black or the white strips makes perfect sense - win win.

My club has a clash against a number of clubs - the game against richmond a fortnight ago was very difficult to pick the different teams at the ground - especially on the other side of the oval.

Melbourne and freo clash terribly.

The over-riding thing is that this league is run by the AFL. If Collingwood are forced to wear an alternate jumper they just need to lump it - just like my club and Brisbane were forced to play home finals in Melbourne - you just grin and bear it.

You can wangle out the tradition argument - but that is a hyporcrisy - almost all clubs have given up the most sacred of all traditions - the home ground. The biggest advantage any club had to winning 4 pts was playing on their own dung heap (Windy Hill and Moorabbin were classic losing spots for my mob). However almost all clubs gave up that "sacred tradition" for more revenue from the MCG and Dome and for the good of the game. No different with the jumpers in my eyes
The simplest way for Collingwood to retain their black and white stripes, yet still have a viable "clash jumper" is to vary the width of the stripes. So their main jumper would be the one that they have now (black with wide white stripes) and a clash jumper could be white with black "pinstripes" (narrow stripes). Still black and white vertical stripes, still easily identified as "Collingwood", no danger of a clash with North Melbourne's wide blue and white stripes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If all the Clubs stood up to the AFL on the issue, it would die. Instead, clubs are fighting, preventing them from presenting a united front.

Novelty attempts to cash in on fake heritage take away from genuine history. Who cares what clubs wore in 1865, 1902, 1935 or 1956. Carlton supporters know their jumper, one would hope the Carlton players could spot one at 50 metres, and same goes for any club. Whack a different pair of shorts on sides that have a slight similarity, and it's over. Done. Dead

Cant see the problem, other than Eddie should at times keep his trap shut and stop the condescending crap.
If North wore the jumper they had on in the warm up, with blue shorts, and Collingwood wore their jumper with white shorts, i dont see a clash. Norths back was predominantly white, Collingwoods black. no clash for mine.

I am happy to get a home game vs Essendon, Richmond and Carlton and see Pies go interstate for an extra match. Lock it in. I will be missing the 4 extra points; Essendon, Carlton and Richmond are likely to be stronger opposition. ;)
Start a petition then.
Betcha Eugene and JB wont sign it.

The away jumper for Collingwood seen in this thread was used in 7 games between 2002 and 2004 -

Collingwood-Away-2002.gif

Either way, both clubs have a history of different jerseys. The AFL has accepted similar home jerseys for both clubs therefore both clubs need an away jersey when they play. The home team should wear it's home jersey.

Not true, Eddie said "We have always played our Home and Away games in Black and White stripes"
He is correct as your picture shows.

He is correct as your picture shows.

So a white version of the above jumper with the swooping magpie on it would be acceptable to traditional sensibilities?

It has always seemed to me that this jumper design (in white) would be the best clash strip for the Pies if the current white strip is not deemed sufficient. The bird breaks the striping pattern up enough to be a point of differentiation while allowing the club to retain what is essentially it's traditional look.

So a white version of the above jumper with the swooping magpie on it would be acceptable to traditional sensibilities?

It has always seemed to me that this jumper design (in white) would be the best clash strip for the Pies if the current white strip is not deemed sufficient. The bird breaks the striping pattern up enough to be a point of differentiation while allowing the club to retain what is essentially it's traditional look.

You're not listening.

BLACK AND WHITE STRIPES

Did you hear it that time?

You're not listening.

BLACK AND WHITE STRIPES

Did you hear it that time?

Are you listening to yourself? Last post you claimed that the away jumper with the bird = black and white stripes. Make up your mind.

Guys
Dont let all this controversy from Eddie about jumper clashes distract you from the real issue at hand. The pies can't travel, and that was evident when they were forced away from their safety blanket of the MCG, and tavelled all the way down to the telstra dome. Weariness was a major contributor to the pies downfall, and the Roo boys took full advantage of this.
Rumour has it , that they left the confines of Jolimont three days early to acclimatise to the conditions emitted by the docklands.

one of the obvious issues not just in regard to 'alternate' match-day strips, but also, primary match-day strips worn by clubs in the AFL, is the fact that many guenseys of most clubs are not similar front and back (excluding numbers). in terms of primary guernseys, freo, melbourne, port, st. kilda, sydney, west coast and every club with a striped guernsey has a different front (either in style or colour) from its back. this causes problems from the outset.

The solution is very very easy, the AFL should get some knackers, tell McHead that his team WILL wear a clash jumper, and if they refuse to wear the jumper then fine them the full $5000.00 penalty for every jumper worn that does not conform. Rest assured McHead and his cronies would be toeing the line in record time.....

one of the obvious issues not just in regard to 'alternate' match-day strips, but also, primary match-day strips worn by clubs in the AFL, is the fact that many guenseys of most clubs are not similar front and back (excluding numbers). in terms of primary guernseys, freo, melbourne, port, st. kilda, sydney, west coast and every club with a striped guernsey has a different front (either in style or colour) from its back. this causes problems from the outset.

Pretty much every club then bar Adelaide, Brisbane, Carlton, Essendon & Richmond? Not a problem with Sydneys jumper though. Freo's jumper would be great if they got rid of the red & green on it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Merged clash jumper threads

Remove this Banner Ad

Back