Merged Tarrant Trade Threads

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Treatment ? What treatment ?

The bloke wants to leave your club and come to ours.

We arent forcing him to come across, were not telling him to walk for nothing.

Honestly, i hope you guys do walk away with nothing. Not so that we can take Taz in a draft, i couldnt give a stuff if he comes or not, but so that you guys can show to the AFL that much like Ross Lyon last year, freo cant comprehend that getting something for a player is better than getting nothing

And whether we pick him up or not, or if he plays AFL again or not at the end of the day Freo wouldve lost their best defender on their list for nothing, which is a shame
You're funny.

You are joking aren't you?

Do you think Jack Anthony would have been fair compensation for Taz or do you think Wellingham

No to JA, reported in today's press that Carlton have no more than a minor interest in him, and they need both a KPD and KPF more than we do.

Wellingham >> Tarrant, it would be unreasonable to expect such a deal.

But Goldsack was offered up for trade last year and for all the talk of being a premiership player he has not been a walk-up starter for your best 22 for two seasons now.

I would have thought you'd put forward Dick - only 24 games in 4 seasons, and would not have a chance in Hell of ever displacing Krak, even if Krak were 80% fit.

Treatment ? What treatment ?

The bloke wants to leave your club and come to ours.

We arent forcing him to come across, were not telling him to walk for nothing.

Honestly, i hope you guys do walk away with nothing. Not so that we can take Taz in a draft, i couldnt give a stuff if he comes or not, but so that you guys can show to the AFL that much like Ross Lyon last year, freo cant comprehend that getting something for a player is better than getting nothing

And whether we pick him up or not, or if he plays AFL again or not at the end of the day Freo wouldve lost their best defender on their list for nothing, which is a shame

I'd argue Tarrants decision to only request Collingwood and threaten retirement wasn't entirely his own thinking, but obviously who can make a case for that.

Collingwood then however knowing this have taken it a little too far to their advantage.

I've never been prouder of my club than I was this season, the past 2 years they simply haven't put a foot wrong on or off the field.

I fully expect us to walk away if the Pies don't show some respect, note the treatment down and bide our time....The shoe will one day be on the other foot.

Saint Kilda supporters said the exact thing last year. 12 months later, it means little.

The joke will be on your club if you get nothing for Tazza.
Karma's a bitch. We'll see.

Lets face it. Collingwood lost out on so many 'big fish' over the years, bully boy tactics are the only way you can get the job done.

Not since West Coast has there been a team willing to do anything to win.

I'd argue Tarrants decision to only request Collingwood and threaten retirement wasn't entirely his own thinking, but obviously who can make a case for that.

Collingwood then however knowing this have taken it a little too far to their advantage.

Perhaps, however if collingwood were so interested in him why would we want to risk not picking him in the PSD ?

In fact, if that was the case, why would we want him to retire if picked up by another club ?

If collingwood wanted him that badly they would be trying as hard as they can to get the deal done i.e Jolly last year

He wants to leave, i'd rather you guys get something at least for him. That balls in Freo's court

You're funny.

You are joking aren't you?

In regards to what exactly? That hes your best defender or that your losing him for nothing if you dont get a trade done ?

Both of which are true btw.

You don't think clubs remmeber?

Saints will never deal fairly with the pies again, Freo is looking like joining the boat.

The shoe will one day be on the other foot.

AFL clubs & professional ones don't deal in, "we'll remembers". Saint Kilda fans chest beated how proud their club was this time last year.

12 months on, Collingwood got Luke Ball for free & he was a key component of a premiership victory. It means little in a purely business decision.

AFL clubs & professional ones don't deal in, "we'll remembers". Saint Kilda fans chest beated how proud their club was this time last year.

12 months on, Collingwood got Luke Ball for free & he was a key component of a premiership victory. It means little in a purely business decision.

No such thing as "pure business decision" with people involved, we're not talking a computer algorithm here.

Human ego and pride always come into play.

Keep telling yourself that.

You obviously don't spend much time building relationships in a professional environment and if you do you more than likely work in real estate or insurance.

The whole league is watching you. No doubt.

Karma's a bitch. We'll see.

Lets face it. Collingwood lost out on so many 'big fish' over the years, bully boy tactics are the only way you can get the job done.

Not since West Coast has there been a team willing to do anything to win.

If i were you i wouldn't be gloating about trading triumphs :thumbsu:

Unfortunately with Tazza wanting to leave and come to us you were always going to get screwed. Whether i completely agree with our approach is a different story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On that logic, rival clubs will look at how Fremantle dudded Essendon last year with McPhee.

Professional AFL clubs don't think like that. The day the do, they have dropped the ball.

Well thats just terrific. They were watching last year with the Ball decision, hasnt hindered us since.

We have a great trading history with the Swans, weve gotten a win win deal done with the GC this season. Weve also had good trading with the Lions

And up till this incident, the last trade with Freo turned out as a win win

If i were you i wouldn't be gloating about trading triumphs :thumbsu:

Unfortunately with Tazza wanting to leave and come to us you were always going to get screwed. Whether i completely agree with our approach is a different story.
Where's the gloat?

Freo has been incompetent at the trade table in the past but I've never felt we've compromised our values.

Values mean something to me. The Pies don't seem to share this belief.

As it currently sits, I think:

Carlton have picks 36 and 53
Hawthorn have picks 37,52 and 54
Collingwood have picks 43 and 55.

Just as a matter of interest, what do Freo supporters think Carlton and Hawthorn will offer them for Tarrant? If players come into it, what players?

Well thats just terrific. They were watching last year with the Ball decision, hasnt hindered us since.

We have a great trading history with the Swans, weve gotten a win win deal done with the GC this season. Weve also had good trading with the Lions

And up till this incident, the last trade with Freo turned out as a win win
The GC trade is hardly for a superstar. We'll see how it goes. It will cost you a big fish down the track so if you are comfortable with that... no problems.

Where's the gloat?

Freo has been incompetent at the trade table in the past but I've never felt we've compromised our values.

Values mean something to me. The Pies don't seem to share this belief.

Having a chuckle at us missing out on so many "Big Fish" is not far off gloating.
Anyways, here's hoping you accept our pick 55 and some stake knives :)

The GC trade is hardly for a superstar. We'll see how it goes. It will cost you a big fish down the track so if you are comfortable with that... no problems.

Mate were, what 12 months away from free agency...I doubt that many "big fish" in the future will be involved in trades

They'll simply walk and go to whoever they like

Back to the topic at hand, the one thing that you and i think Freo in general really need to realise, if no trade is made, the team that loses is yours

Not mine.

No to JA, reported in today's press that Carlton have no more than a minor interest in him, and they need both a KPD and KPF more than we do.

Wellingham >> Tarrant, it would be unreasonable to expect such a deal.

But Goldsack was offered up for trade last year and for all the talk of being a premiership player he has not been a walk-up starter for your best 22 for two seasons now.

I would have thought you'd put forward Dick - only 24 games in 4 seasons, and would not have a chance in Hell of ever displacing Krak, even if Krak were 80% fit.

Both Goldsack and Dick have only really missed games through injury, or because injury has caused poor form. I would argue that both with an injury free run would be clear best 22. Especially Dick.

No worries hero.

Why is my backline lopsided? Tarrant will play on smalls and will not replace Brown or Reid, O'Brien will become a pure running half back and Shaw will move to the wing to stay away from the forward tags. See what he did to St Kilda in Round 16 on the wing? I'd like to see him there long term. If you're one of those subscribing to the "Tarrant will be a backup player" line of thinking then you are sadly mistaken. The bloke's an out and out gun. Also, MM has also stated that he wants to use Toovey in a more advanced role next season and he wants to see him creating more run and pushing further up the ground. Perhaps Johnson would come into that side for him but I doubt it highly.

Dick is in our best 22 IMO, he is the only genuine forward pocket on our list and is a good one.

Krakouer was not recruited to play reserves. From all reports he just played the best WAFL season since the 80's and is the best player in the country outside the AFL. He will play Round 1.

Why should the premiership team play Round 1? It will be Round 1, 2011 and the start of a push to get us the 2011 premiership. The 2010 season will be irrelevant to that.

I like Johnson too, gun at times but I think others will go past him next season. That's just my opinion. Shoot it down if you want but you know as well as I do who will play Round 1 next year because we both DON'T know. That's the team that will take the field IMO. I like Johnson too and agree he's been a good player, very good at times but that just happens to players. I thought Lockyer was a gun in 2009, he was terrible in 2010. It just happens to guys. I still think Johnson will play a fair few games but as a purely outside player of reasonable pace and good kicking skills, I think Krakouer who has more genuine flair will play that role better next year.

The premiership side does not recruit a 27 and a 30 year old to not play them. That would be ridiculous and MM is on the record as saying that he believes Dick is a best 22 player.

Firstly, it is lopsided because Tarrant, although a good stopper, would provide absolutely no run or creativity out of defense. Brad Scott interestingly talked about how much better he thought Heath Shaw was as a defender and I would have to agree with him. Shaw looks lost when he plays further up the ground, I'd much rather risk the tag and play Maxwell, Shaw and O'Brien as half backs, with Benny Johnson and Alan Toovey taking the other small depending on matchups and Obviously Brown and Reid as our key position defenders. For me the only way Tarrant plays is if there is an injury at either end to our KPP, or as a sub, coming on to replace a player at either end. He has value in that role. O'Brien is not suited to being a running half back, for as fast and exciting as he is, he turns the ball over and doesn't set up as well as Shaw or Maxwell, or even Goldsack, Reid and Johnson for that matter.

By the beginning of next season, taking into account improvement and decline, Brown will not be far away from Tarrant's ability to play on the big men, and Reid, I believe will have gone past him.
Why do we need a player to play on talls and smalls, can't O'Brien, Goldsack and Maxwell do this?? If we lose Tyson Goldsack because mick wants to play Tarrant back there, I would be devastated. One is 23, the other is 30. Goldsack is a versatile player who will benefit from a consistent go across half back. We owe it to him, or at least to give him a go before Tarrant.

I like Tarrant in a few matchups but not as a full timer in the team. For example, against Buddy Franklin, Tarrant has the athleticism and experience to go with him. Both of our boys were torched in round 22 (though I'd like to see Reid have another go at him). From what i heard Malthouse saying about Tarrant, it sounded as if he wanted to use him in a wingman's role. Probably another target to hit up along the boundary.

Why did we recruit 27 and 30 year old if we are not going to play them? Well firstly, I believe Mick Malthouse is the driving force behind the move to get Tarrant. Mick has a soft spot for him and would love to have him back for his last season. But it's clear from Geoff Walsh's comments that the rest of the Collingwood hierarchy realise that Mick only has to worry about 2011, and not so much 2012, and that he can afford to be romantic, but the club can not.
We also need depth, and it's better to get guys you know can play at the top level, or at least guys who have a much better chance of it straight away. We will have injuries, no doubt, and that means guys like Dick, Krakouer and Tarrant will get their chance.

But I do think it's disrespectful to drop our premiership hero's just because we picked up a few good players in the off season. They get the first crack at it. If they fail, we know we have excellent backup.

Why are we talking about Luke Ball?

Collingwood offered 30 + Goldsack for him, even tried to obtain pick 25 to satisfy the Saints with Wellingham.

St. Kilda's own fault.

But I do think it's disrespectful to drop our premiership hero's just because we picked up a few good players in the off season. They get the first crack at it. If they fail, we know we have excellent backup.

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, if the coaching panel decides a player is not good enough (or not as good as someone else who can play a similar role), then they don't deserve to be in the team.

It is up to the players to force their way back into the team if they are pushed out, having a premiership medallion around your neck does not magically make you a better player or give you a free ride in the 22.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back