Mid-season Draft discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

So Sicily is gonna play again this year? What the fk are we doing?
I suspect a bluff. But maybe we have an idea that Newcombe will be taken and won’t last to our second pick. It looks like a free hit to me but not sure what else it could be if we don’t take two.

I really hope he is foxing for whatever reason... Would be typical conservative Hawthorn. We very clearly have a way to open the space up for a second pick...

‘a second pick is probably at the expense of a late pick in the national draft. In the hawks stage you aren’t looking for the right role player to fill a need, you’re looking for a project which might be a game breaker

kind of how Ned reeves was picked up mid term, although I don’t think he was on another clubs radar

After watching the game vs Gold Coast all I think we need is:
  • Big bodied midfielder with good skills
  • Explosive contested midfielder with good skills
  • A midfielder with a defensive side (preferably with good skills)
  • Outside player with speed and good skills x 2
  • A tall forward who can take marks in contested situations
  • Small forwards with pressure and speed
  • Ruck depth so we aren’t up sh*t creek when McEvoy, Ceglar & Brooksby retire in the next 2 years
  • A defender that doesn’t turn the ball over at every opportunity

‘a Shiels, a Puopolo, a smith and a hill would do wonders. Oh and the next Cyril and hodge.

In the past, I would have thought this LTI
Sic had a couple of hiccups in his recovery so was decided by medical/fitness to get him ready for pre season next year.
If that doesn't happen then they have been overuled.

They would also have to overrule Sicily himself:

‘a second pick is probably at the expense of a late pick in the national draft. In the hawks stage you aren’t looking for the right role player to fill a need, you’re looking for a project
But with the amount of deadwood on our list it won’t cost us a pick. We will be delisting plenty of blokes to make room for enough picks. We could take 5 MSD picks and still make room in off-season for draft picks!

I wonder what the reason would be for not taking 2 picks

maybe we just don't rate anybody other than Newcombe, but then what's the point of all the contract sh*t if we're taking him at 2?

This surprises me,
I was thinking Callow with the first pick to prop up our stocks. To try and get Newcombe with our 2nd pick that's why he has nominated for the draft with the conditions. North wouldn't be taking him with pick one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's see what happens.

If another club takes him on for 4 years then it was never gonna happen. If we take Newcombe with our first, then that would be odd, but there would have to be some personal circumstances justifying it. The club could be waiting for the AFL to sign off on the terms and the Swans' complaint before opening the list spot. Clubs also like to fox with the media about these things as a rule (Clarko getting his back for the Newcombe question in the pre-game presser).

Nothing to worry about yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mid-season Draft discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back