Player Watch Mid-Season Pick #13 (2021) - Jed McEntee

Remove this Banner Ad

Give Jed his due - he’s putting a career together that makes Jake Neade look like Eddie Betts

After tall Jed himself Billy Frampton won a flag, I'm comfortable that Jed could play in a premiership. I just don't think you can play 4 plodders in one forward line.

Jed vs Evans vs Narkle for one spot. Anyone know our W/L record when each of these guys start?
Dunno about the others but we're 9-1 with a percentage of 140% without Jed and 7-7 with a percentage of about 90% with him.

Two of Jed's last three games were the 79 point Brisbane loss and the 84 point Geelong loss.

it baffles me he has played so many games.

season 1 GIF

After tall Jed himself Billy Frampton won a flag, I'm comfortable that Jed could play in a premiership. I just don't think you can play 4 plodders in one forward line.

Jed vs Evans vs Narkle for one spot. Anyone know our W/L record when each of these guys start?

Lol I like how clever kerny removed dbj from that equation in week 1 of the finals, where he'd been decent all year, to put him back in the backline where he'd been stopped and removed from over a year ago, simultaneously making both ends of the ground worse. A real masterstroke

Lol nice manipulation of stats. For a start, it's 46. The average is 3.8. But that includes 2 games where he literally never even set foot on the park and 4 games where he was subbed on or off. So it's really only 40 games and he really averages over 4. For comparison, Willie Rioli averages 7 kicks a game, it's hardly a position where even the best players are going to accumulate stats.

M8 renowned shit truck Lachie Murphy, who every crows fan wants delisted, averages almost twice as many kicks as Mac and cheese.

July 2023 in this thread I wrote;

Not skilful enough to play in the heat of September. Did a great job on Tom Stewart, but I don't trust his skills and when we go forward and kick it to him if its a 50/50 contest or even 60/40 he rarely wins it. Yes brings good pressure and tries hard, but we can't play all 3 of Jed, DBJ and SPP as mainly defensive forwards, the first two make too many fumbles.

September 17th 2023 I wrote

Wrote that in July, Monday I said get rid of him, at the end of the game I came to the conclusion he is the Eric Moussambani of the AFL.

If Port play Jed McEntee in September you know we are in trouble. He didn't cost us the game on Thursday night, but the Hinkley mindset, gameplan, whatever its called, means he picks him for the wrong reasons.

As soon as I saw he was named as an emergency against Freo, I knew Ken would pick him in the 22 and not be named as sub because he was thinking ahead and thinking of Tom Stewart.

As soon as we knew Stewart was out, he should have been omitted from the side for Sinn and rotate players thru that HFF that Jed occupied.

It was disappointing seeing feelings small forwards absolutely tear us a new arseh*le Thursday.

It’s going to happen again this Friday.

I think Rioli is the only one on our list capable of that.

Our other small forwards just don’t have what it takes unfortunately, including Jed.

What a waste it was to have him occupy and waste games for us through the season.

Rushed him back into the finals and ****ed up our forward line structure as a result.

Couldn't properly experiment with DBJ and Sinn at half back.

Couldn't experiment a 4 talls forward line of MG, Marshall, Dixon, Esava

Took games away from Lorenz.

An actual ****ing disaster one fringe player had on our finals campaign.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a waste it was to have him occupy and waste games for us through the season.

Rushed him back into the finals and ****ed up our forward line structure as a result.

Couldn't properly experiment with DBJ and Sinn at half back.

Couldn't experiment a 4 talls forward line of MG, Marshall, Dixon, Esava

Took games away from Lorenz.

An actual ****ing disaster one fringe player had on our finals campaign.

Jed McEntee actually kicked a goal in his most recent game (a good one as well).

Which is more than can be said for Charlie Dixon, Esava Ratugolea, Todd Marshall, Francis Evans or Quinton Narkle.

The rush to pile on one guy when literally all of them bar Georgiades can't get near it is pretty humorous.

Jed McEntee actually kicked a goal in his most recent game (a good one as well).

Which is more than can be said for Charlie Dixon, Esava Ratugolea, Todd Marshall, Francis Evans or Quinton Narkle.

The rush to pile on one guy when literally all of them bar Georgiades can't get near it is pretty humorous.
Evans kicked two goals in the showdown

Narkle won us the game with his winning goal vs demons- we lose that we finish outside top 2

Marshall,dixon and Sav are as useless as Mac n cheese

The difference between him and the other blokes you mentioned (bar Esava who also shouldn't be getting games) is that the other ones actually have a ceiling. Evans isn't much good either but he can kick 3-4 goals on his day. Marshall has kicked 4-5 on multiple occasions. Ollie Lord kicked 4 in a final. Even Charlie Dixon's corpse kicked 4 only a few weeks ago. In nearly 50 games playing exclusively as a forward, McEntee has literally never kicked 3 goals in a game. That is utterly absurd. If you can find me a single other player in the history of the league with that record I'd be amazed.

Jed McEntee has two types of game:

5-10 disposals and 1 goal per game
5-10 disposals and 0 goals per game

Neither of these games are good enough. His worst games are terrible, but even his 'good' games are still pretty bad.

In nearly 50 games playing exclusively as a forward, McEntee has literally never kicked 3 goals in a game. That is utterly absurd. If you can find me a single other player in the history of the league with that record I'd be amazed.

Literally the first player I thought of was Laitham Vandermeer so I looked at his stats - 68 games, never kicked more than 2 goals (I know he's played up the field sometimes but he's also played 22 more games than Jed so it balances out).

Literally the first player I thought of was Laitham Vandermeer so I looked at his stats - 68 games, never kicked more than 2 goals (I know he's played up the field sometimes but he's also played 22 more games than Jed so it balances out).
Haha, ****in hell, I'll give you that one. Although to be fair 99% of Dogs supporters want Vandermeer banished to the shadow realm too.

I have written we can't win in September if we have McEntee in the side.

If we beat the Hawks, then theory is confirmed. Unlike Scott Morrison I don't believe in miracles.

Career?

Jed McEntee 27-19, appr 105%
Francis Evans 17-8, appr 120%
Quinton Narkle, 10-4, appr 115%

I'm shocking even myself by saying this, but he was better than Evans last week. And yet we dropped him and kept Evans. Whereas last year, when Evans was outplaying Jed every time we gave Evans a chance, we still dropped Evans several times but kept Jed.

It would be nice if we ever picked a team based on actual form and not just who the coaches have decided based on vibes to put higher on the depth chart that they seem to update about once every three months.

I'm shocking even myself by saying this, but he was better than Evans last week. And yet we dropped him and kept Evans. Whereas last year, when Evans was outplaying Jed every time we gave Evans a chance, we still dropped Evans several times but kept Jed.

It would be nice if we ever picked a team based on actual form and not just who the coaches have decided based on vibes to put higher on the depth chart that they seem to update about once every three months.
Francis Evans & Jed McEntee would be instant delistings for a new coach walking in.. if we ever get one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Mid-Season Pick #13 (2021) - Jed McEntee

Remove this Banner Ad

Back