Mike Sheahan's Top 50

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Generalissimo
How on earth was Ramanauskas picked, and Scarlett overlooked? Sheehan is an idiot.

Scarlett should definitely be in there, but if you think Rama shouldn't, your'e on the same drugs as sheahan.

Chris Johnson at 30? Ridiculous!
Yze at 41 is unbelievable. What an idiot.
And how has Joel Smith gone from 43 on his 2002 list to 34 after a year full of injuries? It makes no sense at all.

Glen Archer

It is an absolute disgrace that Archer is not on that list. What criteria does that clown use to select his top 50. Archer might not get the most stats, but l bet he would be one of the most respected player by opponents and opposition supporters. He typifies what every coach looks for in his players.

Iron Mike has Archer, Carey, Kouta, R.Harvey and Ottens on his stars under an injury cloud list (fitness will detemine impact).

There are some serious flaws in this list. The following anomolies stand out like dog's balls:

1. Buckley at no. 9 is too low
2. Leppitsch at no.8 is too high
3. Rocca at no.16 is way too high
4. Whitnall at no.16 is way too high
5. Everitt at no.28 is way too high (not a top 50 player)
6. Hayes at no.32 is way too high (not a top 50 player, what was he thinking?)
7. J.Smith at no.34 is too high
8. C.Bruce at no.39 is way too high (not a top 50 player, what was he thinking?)
9. A.Yze at no.41 isway too high
9. Clement at no.47 is too high (not a top 50 player, what was he thinking?)
10. A.Simpson at no.43 is too low

My understanding of this list is that it is a prediction for the 2003;which explains the inconsistentcies of his selections ie:
Hird and Everitt picked on their reputations whilst Hayes and Bruce picked on potential. However by the same token, the logic of some the selections just do not stack up.

Where is C.McKernan, D.King, A.Stevens, C.Grant, A.Lynch, J.Hay, S.Camporarle and M.Ricciuto? All these players, with the exception of Stevens, are gamebreakers. All are currently fully fit. Their best is better than half the clowns on this list.

Personally I don't think Iron Mike has a good enough understanding of the game and the roles of each player (even though he did play for Werribee), to be judging the best in the competition. But by the same token, the real idea is to sell newpapers and create discussion.

Even though I do not like Walls, I respect his opinion and his list much more than Sheahan's. I would love to see Brereton's top 50, because it would give an insight into the role the player performs and their relative importance to the team. I guarantee it would be a vastly different list.

Joel Smith, not a bad player when he plays. Injuries last year should have left him being selected on 2001 form, I thought you required some form in 2002?.

Ramanauskus better than Hasleby, interesting but I suppose it helps if he sees one team play more than the other.

Jonathan Brown, like his style but obviously picked on potential as last year he was not at his best.

No Headland?, oh well I think he'll take that on the chin and just go out and prove he is worthy of a top 50 position by years end.

Originally posted by masai
Joel Smith, not a bad player when he plays. Injuries last year should have left him being selected on 2001 form, I thought you required some form in 2002?.

Ramanauskus better than Hasleby, interesting but I suppose it helps if he sees one team play more than the other.

Jonathan Brown, like his style but obviously picked on potential as last year he was not at his best.

No Headland?, oh well I think he'll take that on the chin and just go out and prove he is worthy of a top 50 position by years end.

After tonights performance he will be lucky to make the top 100 next year.

Tarrant

Tarrant in the top 50 players in the league !!!!! roflmao

Is this guy on drugs or what......

Tarrant is probably the most overrated, scrub that, definately the most overrated player in the league by a country mile. The guy takes one mark in his career and everyone thinks he is a superstar.....

Don't think I've ever seen him play a good game.

And before you all shoot me down Collingwood supporters, its OK, we love the fact the you all think he is so great..... so dillusional...lol

TW

Originally posted by Kane McGoodwin
Centre Half Forwards
With Tredrea being the All-Australian CHF (again), how did he drop to being rated the 3rd best in the competition. Whitnall has had good years, but 2002 wasn't that good to put him in 2nd. Based on last year, I would rate them in the following order: Tredrea, Rocca, Riewoldt, Whitnall, Brown.

Lance's 2002 was excellent for the absolutely terrible midfield he had serving him up. The problem was his injury, but up til then he was probably 2nd best (but behind Tredrea, NOT Rocca).
I agree that Tredrea should've been above Whitnall, but I don't believe Rocca has ever been better than Whitnall, not last year, not never. I would've had Tredrea about 15th, Lance 25th, Rocca about 30th.

I think it's obvious that Mike doesn't rate KP defenders that aren't dynamic at rebounding.
Ok now for the usual rant about Collingwood players missing out.
I think perhaps Burns could of squeezed in to the Top 50. Tarrant is a tad overated, he should just miss out of the Top 50.

Joel Smith is a joke, he has a great season, and then has a crap one but gets a higher position than his great season. Either Mike is on the wacky tobacky or 90% of AFL players just got crapper.

Re: Glen Archer

Originally posted by Squizy Taylor

1. Buckley at no. 9 is too low
2. Leppitsch at no.8 is too high
3. Rocca at no.16 is way too high
4. Whitnall at no.16 is way too high
5. Everitt at no.28 is way too high (not a top 50 player)
6. Hayes at no.32 is way too high (not a top 50 player, what was he thinking?)
7. J.Smith at no.34 is too high
8. C.Bruce at no.39 is way too high (not a top 50 player, what was he thinking?)
9. A.Yze at no.41 isway too high
9. Clement at no.47 is too high (not a top 50 player, what was he thinking?)
10. A.Simpson at no.43 is too low

You idiot. Yze at 41 way too high? Can I have some of the drugs you are on, please?
:rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by sabre_ac
No Peter Bell?
No Headland?
Hrm...
Peter Bell is now one of the most underated players in the comp.

Definately don't agree with Peter Bell being left out. Deserved to be in that Top 50 more than the likes of Smith, Everitt, Rocca etc.

Brad J

Brad Johnson deserves to be higher. For his size is the best mark in the comp and while Brown and Darcy are imortant he is the bulldogs best player - and he won our b & f last year. Kicks plenty of goals and is very damaging when playing as a midfielder

Week in week out he is nearly impossible to match up - should be top 10 imo.

Re: Brad J

Originally posted by Big Fella
Brad Johnson deserves to be higher. For his size is the best mark in the comp and while Brown and Darcy are imortant he is the bulldogs best player - and he won our b & f last year. Kicks plenty of goals and is very damaging when playing as a midfielder

Week in week out he is nearly impossible to match up - should be top 10 imo.

then where would you rate Cam bruce who carved Brad Johnson up twice last season

dont worry presti only had 20 goals against him all of last year, but because he dont attack and kick goals doesnt get ****.... everyone has there own opinion, mine is McCloud should be no.1. and voss 2nd, buckley round 5, he isnt the best player on our list, try watching games, id say clement and rocca are, followed by burns and licca then bucks. ppl only go by wat they read tho;) ;) just like after reading this ppl will think leppa is the best backman around.:eek: :eek:

Re: Re: Brad J

Originally posted by Yze_Magic
then where would you rate Cam bruce who carved Brad Johnson up twice last season

Good Golly, 2 games don't make a season. Bruce is a good player, but if u are trying to say he's better than Johnson u are in a fairy land

And in future u might wanna consider not making stuff up. These are the head to heads for last season:

Round 5 Melbourne v Dogs
Johnson 12 kicks, 9 handballs, 2 goals 3
Bruce 9 kicks, 1 handball, 1 goal 1

Round 20 Melbourne v Dogs
Johnson 8 kicks, 1 handball, 2 goals
Bruce 9 kicks, 0 handballs, 0 goals

Yep, Bruce killed him :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Mike Sheahan's Top 50

Remove this Banner Ad

Back