Mitch Brown (WCE) asks for trade to St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was trying to remember, what this outraged chest thumping, with a twist of arrogance reminded me of, when it came to me. North Melbourne supporters telling us recently, that Caddy was definitely going there, we could bookmark it, bet our house on it and yet we now see him in a Geelong jumper.

West Coast will talk with Brown when he returns, find out his true intentions and if they can persuade him, he will remain, if not, they will move him on, for the best deal they can get. West Coast appreciate, Brown is of no value to them for 2013, if he wants to leave, let alone as a possible trade next year.

It will get down to what Brown really wants. If he feels, that after so long at West Coast, he still cant get a regular game and desperately wants to try elsewhere, he will be gone. As clinical as that.

This has potential:
Farren Ray and pick 34 to Melbourne for their pick 20.
Pick 20 and Jamie Cripps to West Coast for Mitch Brown.

Can you see the West Coast supporters twitching over their keyboards? You are getting close, so, so, close to what they want.

Farren Ray and pick 34 to Melbourne for their pick 20
Pick 20, Jamie Cripps & Pick 13 (Goddard compo pick) to West Coast for Mitch Brown

Yes TWO first round draft picks and a first round draft pick player. All this for a player, who they won't play. What a bargain.

Can you see the West Coast supporters twitching over their keyboards? You are getting close, so, so, close to what they want.

Pick 20, Jamie Cripps & Pick 13 (Goddard compo pick) to West Coast for Mitch Brown

Yes TWO first round draft picks and a first round draft pick player. All this for a player, who they won't play. What a bargain.

Where did you get pick 13 from? That was not in my post.
As for Cripps, yes he was a first draft pick but he wants to go anyway so might as well use him to get Brown before we lose him for nothing.

Where did you get pick 13 from? That was not in my post.
As for Cripps, yes he was a first draft pick but he wants to go anyway so might as well use him to get Brown before we lose him for nothing.

Added what the West Coast supporters on here are clamouring for. Not a criticism of you, just a comment on how unrealistic Weagles are with the values they place on Brown. Will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Why would Brown be of 'no value' to us next year?

He will be uncontracted and if he wants to leave it is still in the best interests of he and the club to arrange a trade - despite the fact we will have a lesser bargaining position compared to this year.

By the end of 2013 Brown will have played 7 seasons at West Coast, so he won't be a free agent able to walk to his club of choice without going into the ND/PSD.

FWIW, it looks like Melbourne are going to use pick 20 in a trade to get Dawes from Collingwood (LOL). We have Brown wanting to go to St K, Stevens wanting to go to Victoria, pick 40ish and whatever pick we'll get for Lynch as compo (end of 2nd round I'd imagine). Surely some drawn out, convoluted, multi-club, multi-pick, multi-player trade can be arranged.

I get the feeling the longer this drags out, the less likely a deal involving Brown occurs. Part of me hopes a deal to suit all parties does occur, even though I dont want to lose Brown. However given his contract I just cant see us happy with any deal that would be tabled.

Also it is quite clear that the Brown dealing is holding up the Stevens and Cripps deals, and it would be shame if they cannot go through until the last minute just because of this Brown one.

West Coast appreciate, Brown is of no value to them for 2013, if he wants to leave, let alone as a possible trade next year.

That is patently untrue...the Eagles need someone capable of stepping up should Brown or McKenzie get injured next year. If anything, his value is greater to us than his true value otherwise. Brown is a professional and he is not going to put in a half a$$ed effort if a suitable trade can't be arranged. That would only hurt his own value next year.

So far we are..

OUT: Lynch, Swift, Neates
IN: Wellingham

...with Stevens and Brown wanting out and Weedon, Stevenson, Strijk and Wilson not guaranteed of making the cut. Brad Dick may be upgraded, but I think we can keep him on the rookie list if we want to.

If Brown and Stevens both go we have 4 list spots available without any delistings. IMO at least Weedon should be axed, so that's 6 spots.

OUT: Lynch, Swift, Neates, Brown, Stevens, Weedon
IN: Wellingham, Cripps, Dick, the minimum 3 draftees.

If we axe Wilson or Stevenson etc. we might go after someone like Bower as insurance but since the draft is allegedly weak we should be doing what we can to get the minimum 3 picks as early as we can in the draft by packaging picks and players.

its pretty clear saints are not in a position to trade. They do not know what they are getting for goddard and are yet to own that poick what ever it is.

When they own something that can look at a trade. what they own at the moment isnt tradable for brown. their excitement to ofload cripps is unfortunate. he has asked to go to WC but AFL clubs are not charities, WC need to have a need for him before they can offer for cripps. no need = no offer

what is most unsavoury is the manner in which an offer has been made to a contracted player. saints and lyon seem to share a moral code.

this compares starkly with the early agreement reached between WC and the Pies, and the behaviour that led to that agreement.

Oh god, who will think of the children....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's about right. ;)

That would nearly get it done I would be thinking.

So St Kilda give up Ray, Cripps and pick 34 for Brown? No way in hell. This is a depth player with injury problems, remember that.

With WC getting Wellingham I can't imagine they'd have any desperate urge to go after Cripps as well; this deal is looking more and more shaky. If both players were uncontracted then Cripps and a third round pick or second round upgrade for Brown would get it done...but it looks like WC would rather keep their depth key defender even if only for a year rather than pick up another outside runner.

I hope that the deal gets through, but if they're prepared to be ruthless, it is West Coast who hold all the power in negotiations and I could see this one falling through.

Is the desperate need to try and get pick 13 off Saints, because West Coast were dudded by Collingwood, in giving them pick 17 for Wellingham?

Is the desperate need to try and get pick 13 off Saints, because West Coast were dudded by Collingwood, in giving them pick 17 for Wellingham?
Low picks are just icing mate, we have nearly the best 22 now with Wellingham for probably 4-5 years at West Coast and if you notice how many fringe players are wanting out - its because the first 22 spots are more or less taken barring injuries so the long term build ( low picks ) is no longer the priority. Its all about 2013.

All the deals I'm seeing would be rubbish for St Kilda, and borderline acceptable for WC.

There's a huge difference in worth here, can't see a deal being done without one team screwing themselves.
Exactly. That is why a deal will almost certainly not be done.

Pity, considering Brown wants to come home and it looks like Hooker (from WA) is possibly on the market, while his club are supposedly interested in Stevens (from WC). Don't think it would be all that hard to come up with a 3 way deal that sent Brown, Cripps, Stevens and Hooker all back to their home states, along with a bit of shuffling of draft picks, leaving those 4 and the clubs all happy.

Exactly. That is why a deal will almost certainly not be done.

Pity, considering Brown wants to come home and it looks like Hooker (from WA) is possibly on the market, while his club are supposedly interested in Stevens (from WC). Don't think it would be all that hard to come up with a 3 way deal that sent Brown, Cripps, Stevens and Hooker all back to their home states, along with a bit of shuffling of draft picks, leaving those 4 and the clubs all happy.

You get an official statement that Hooker is on the market then I'd hope something could be worked out.
Well, one hopes that Mitch Brown will get where he wants to go anyway.
That is not going to happen with West Coast playing no ball at the moment.
Perhaps when West Coast come to the table a deal can be made.
It is likely though that St Kilda are going to be required to pay more than they would wish.

St Kilda overrating Cripps is the major problem in this deal. I know Saints fans rate Cripps and there is talent there but there are also a lot of real question marks around Cripps enough to push his value down to a mid 40's pick.

As a state junior there were questions about his attitude and arrogance, there is the diabetes of course and the major issue is that he is walking out of a club who needs him and where he would get regular football to go back home to play with a club where he is not in the best 22. I don't think anyone at West Coast will lose sleep if Cripps doesn't come back home.

So taking Cripps out of the deal it really comes down to Brown for pick 24 which is fair. Brown is under contract, helps St Kilda out immediately in an area of weakness for them and should go on to play 100 plus games for them. Pick 13 is too high and a mid 30's pick is too low.

This has potential:
Farren Ray and pick 34 to Melbourne for their pick 20.
Pick 20 and Jamie Cripps to West Coast for Mitch Brown.
I'm sure Eagles would accept that if they could get an adequate replacement for Brown (Pears or Hooker). Otherwise if Glass or Mackenzie get injured who will play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back