Mitch Brown (WCE) asks for trade to St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brown's value to West Coast is greater than his trade value. Our list has been structured around the assumption that when Glass retires we will have a capable key defender to slot straight in. I can't see how this trade gets done without one club feeling hard done by. Given Brown is contracted, neither team has to trade, and, therefore, presumably won't.

I'm sure Eagles would accept that if they could get an adequate replacement for Brown (Pears or Hooker). Otherwise if Glass or Mackenzie get injured who will play?
The only thing is that we would not offer that in a million years, so you may as well forget about that.

Ray (who Melbourne are apparently willing to give us a pick under 40 for), Cripps (who we clearly rate, used up a mid 20's DP to aquire and don't want to lose, especially now that he ought to be ready to really show something) and pick 34, for someone who has been at a club for 6 years and played just 50 games and had a knee reco and various other injuries, is fairytale-stuff and will not happen.

One thing that doesn't sit right in all of this is that Brown staying at WCE next year means he's passing up a significant wedge of $$. I'm guessing he's probably on $200k at WCE and the Saints are offering over $300k. Doesn't mean that Brown will get to move, but it's more evidence for the AFLPA and player agents to further extend free agency.

One thing that doesn't sit right in all of this is that Brown staying at WCE next year means he's passing up a significant wedge of $$. I'm guessing he's probably on $200k at WCE and the Saints are offering over $300k. Doesn't mean that Brown will get to move, but it's more evidence for the AFLPA and player agents to further extend free agency.

No way will free agency ever get to the point where a player can walk out on a contract. He signed the contract and has to honour it. Someone now offers more? Tough t***ies.

No way will free agency ever get to the point where a player can walk out on a contract. He signed the contract and has to honour it. Someone now offers more? Tough t***ies.
Really? Most people in most jobs can give a notice period in their job and then move elsewhere. Not in the AFL. I'm not an expert in contract law but I'd be pretty doubtful that the way the AFL clubs employ their players would stand up to any court challenge. Bottom line is that it was this threat that led to the AFL bringing in free agency in the first place.

St Kilda overrating Cripps is the major problem in this deal. I know Saints fans rate Cripps and there is talent there but there are also a lot of real question marks around Cripps enough to push his value down to a mid 40's pick.

As a state junior there were questions about his attitude and arrogance, there is the diabetes of course and the major issue is that he is walking out of a club who needs him and where he would get regular football to go back home to play with a club where he is not in the best 22. I don't think anyone at West Coast will lose sleep if Cripps doesn't come back home.

So taking Cripps out of the deal it really comes down to Brown for pick 24 which is fair. Brown is under contract, helps St Kilda out immediately in an area of weakness for them and should go on to play 100 plus games for them. Pick 13 is too high and a mid 30's pick is too low.
If you knew why he wants to go home I don't think you would put it like "he's walking out of a club who needs him" ;) and from what I've heard, his attitude and so on at St Kilda have been terrific, as evidenced by the fact he was able to break into an AFL team (that had 6 months prior drawn a GF), not long after losing a heap of weight and being diagnosed with the diabetes you mentioned.

He then had compartment syndrome mid way through that season, which was expected to put him out for the rest of the year, but he worked his way back from that terrifically well as well, coming back for some games in the VFL before the end of that season, which was another really good effort.

If he had a "bad attitude" he wouldn't have been able to do all that, I don't imagine.

Going through all that sort of stuff also tends to change a man, so while he may have been "arrogant" in the juniors (which I'm not suggesting he was) he may have grown out of that now, so it could be completely irrelevant.

I don't think we are generally "overrating" Cripps any more than those who follow West Coast are overrating Brown.

So St Kilda give up Ray, Cripps and pick 34 for Brown? No way in hell. This is a depth player with injury problems, remember that.
Brown wouldn't be a depth player at St Kilda. That's the whole reason he is keen to go. He'd be St Kilda's first-choice CHB.

With WC getting Wellingham I can't imagine they'd have any desperate urge to go after Cripps as well; this deal is looking more and more shaky.
Certainly no desperate urge, but if packaged with a first-rounder it might be enough to spin our wheels.

If both players were uncontracted then Cripps and a third round pick or second round upgrade for Brown would get it done...but it looks like WC would rather keep their depth key defender even if only for a year rather than pick up another outside runner.
That's right - a straight swap won't do it. Hence the need for a first-rounder on the table.

Cripps for Brown and a downgrade of a second rounder. Take it our leave it WCE, Cripps is a very talented player. Despite the fact that Brown is in contract, he has clearly stated that he does not want to play at WCE next year. Cripps being home-sick is not as big a deal, as there is another WA side in the AFL. Honestly, Cripps is a much better player than Brown IMO, but due to the fact that Brown is contracted, WCE will ask for a higher price. I honestly think West Coats will buckle towards the end of trade week and just take Cripps. Playing hardball does not always work, especially when the player involved is searching for something you cannot or, in this case, will not provide.

Brown wouldn't be a depth player at St Kilda. That's the whole reason he is keen to go. He'd be St Kilda's first-choice CHB.

Certainly no desperate urge, but if packaged with a first-rounder it might be enough to spin our wheels.

That's right - a straight swap won't do it. Hence the need for a first-rounder on the table.

No way. If Saints agree to add first rounder, I want whatever they're smoking, because it would be some good stuff. We could get a quality defender that is not very-injury prone for a first rounder and Cripps. Brown is a solid backman at best, nowhere near the worth of a first rounder and Cripps.

Cripps for Brown and a downgrade of a second rounder. Take it our leave it WCE, Cripps is a very talented player. Despite the fact that Brown is in contract, he has clearly stated that he does not want to play at WCE next year. Cripps being home-sick is not as big a deal, as there is another WA side in the AFL. Honestly, Cripps is a much better player than Brown IMO, but due to the fact that Brown is contracted, WCE will ask for a higher price. I honestly think West Coats will buckle towards the end of trade week and just take Cripps. Playing hardball does not always work, especially when the player involved is searching for something you cannot or, in this case, will not provide.
They will leave it then. Brown will only be traded if WC can get a replacement.

I can't see West Coast doing a straight swap of Brown for Cripps. It's a deal that just won't happen. But St Kilda won't and shouldn't give up the Goddard compo pick either. Cripps and another player? Raph Clarke? He's not as bad as people make out that he is, and he's used to being on the fringe of the top 22 ;)

If Saints trade for Martin who can play back the need for Brown is less.

Browns no star - cant get in the 22 and is injury riddled. Would not pay overs for him.

I hope Cripps stays.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was trying to remember, what this outraged chest thumping, with a twist of arrogance reminded me of, when it came to me. North Melbourne supporters telling us recently, that Caddy was definitely going there, we could bookmark it, bet our house on it and yet we now see him in a Geelong jumper.

West Coast will talk with Brown when he returns, find out his true intentions and if they can persuade him, he will remain, if not, they will move him on, for the best deal they can get. West Coast appreciate, Brown is of no value to them for 2013, if he wants to leave, let alone as a possible trade next year.

It will get down to what Brown really wants. If he feels, that after so long at West Coast, he still cant get a regular game and desperately wants to try elsewhere, he will be gone. As clinical as that.

We kept Seaby as backup for a year because no one gave us what we felt was a good enough deal.

If they dont get a good deal im positive they will keep him, and no its not arrogance, its not trying to screw you to get a better draft pick. Its simply we need someone that can come in and play if one of our blokes gets injured and we wanna try win a premiership this year. Nathan Brown got a premiership medal because Collingwoods first choice backman got an injury...

If Saints trade for Martin who can play back the need for Brown is less.

Browns no star - cant get in the 22 and is injury riddled. Would not pay overs for him.

I hope Cripps stays.

Really annoys me when people say he cannot get a game in our 22. Say he is crap but dont knock him because he is not a better player than Glass and McKenszie. Glass was AA defender and McKenszie one of the best young defenders in the game. Brown not getting a game ahead of them means nothing in terms of his ability. If he was a midfielder or a flanker then yes, you can read something into a player not getting a game but that is not the case here.

Really annoys me when people say he cannot get a game in our 22. Say he is crap but dont knock him because he is not a better player than Glass and McKenszie. Glass was AA defender and McKenszie one of the best young defenders in the game. Brown not getting a game ahead of them means nothing in terms of his ability. If he was a midfielder or a flanker then yes, you can read something into a player not getting a game but that is not the case here.

Don't get carried away, Mckenzie one of the best young defenders in the game, wtf!

Most eagles supporters didn't rate him at all until late this season when he put together some solid games. he was given plenty of opportunities to cement a spot despite playing some pretty poor games. The same opportunity has not been given to brown and he has already been told he won't get a chance next year unless there is an injury.

Understandably he would like to leave for a team that has said they will give him the opportunity to cement a starting spot. I think the eagles will trade in the end but fair enough to push for the best deal they can.

And what, there's now only one side in Victoria for Brown?

How long until West Coast supporters stop saying they deserve a first round pick for Brown?

A Cripps-Brown straight swap is not equitable, and St Kilda would need to add a pick to even it up a bit. But to suggest that Brown is worth pick 13 (or 13 AND Cripps) is absolutely laughable.

It's not in West Coast's best interest to make Cripps a part of a trade for Brown if a trade were to occur. 'The state of play' article on the AFL website says this about Cripps and his possible move to WC: "He (Cripps) still wants to return to Perth to join West Coast, but any such deal would be separate to that for Brown." If this is the case, St Kilda don't have the currency to trade for Brown, with the exception of the expected pick 13 that's likely to come their way shortly. Given that KPP's have more value than mids/flankers in general, and that WC handed over #17 for Wellingham, I doubt WC are going to allow St Kilda to pressure them into handing over Brown for pick 20 or 24 alone, or whatever else has been suggested, especially given that it's senseless for WC to include Cripps as part of a trade for Brown.

WC don't need to include Cripps in a trade for Brown, for Cripps is already on his way out. Brown is able to be forcibly retained to see out his contract. WC can bring in Cripps while retaining Brown. Why would WC dilute expected compensation for Brown by including Cripps in the deal? It doesn't make sense for WC to trade in this way.

Don't get carried away, Mckenzie one of the best young defenders in the game, wtf!

Most eagles supporters didn't rate him at all until late this season when he put together some solid games. he was given plenty of opportunities to cement a spot despite playing some pretty poor games. The same opportunity has not been given to brown and he has already been told he won't get a chance next year unless there is an injury.

Understandably he would like to leave for a team that has said they will give him the opportunity to cement a starting spot. I think the eagles will trade in the end but fair enough to push for the best deal they can.

Football, try watching some.

Mackenzie has been a lock in our defence for a long time and his 2011 season was very good and he was superb this season in defence.

Good point.
Rrationally WC want to keep Brown for 2013 and have contracted him for that time in good faith. WC have no desire of need for Cripps. Leave it is the rational choice.

Yeah Im sure the Cousins and Mainwaring family dont agree.
You wil find they are strlogly supported by the club abd are supprotive of the clubs measures to address mental health issues both families are afflicted.

The annual Mainwaring tribute match is one such example of this support.

More finals since 1990 than any club is anotehr KPI indicating a strong culture.

Now melbournes record????

We kept Seaby as backup for a year because no one gave us what we felt was a good enough deal.

If they dont get a good deal im positive they will keep him, and no its not arrogance, its not trying to screw you to get a better draft pick. Its simply we need someone that can come in and play if one of our blokes gets injured and we wanna try win a premiership this year. Nathan Brown got a premiership medal because Collingwoods first choice backman got an injury...
how can a group of supporters like the saints understand this. it is outside they experience. ball for example, Coach walking at midnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back