Traded Mitch McGovern [traded to Carlton in a three-way trade involving Sydney and McAdam]

Remove this Banner Ad

The "little reasons" began during last year's finals series.

Yes, and the among thosd ‘reasons’ is the pre season camp.
Whether it affected him more than it affected the other players, it’s certainly helped him to lose trust and faith in the club along with the mismanagement of his injuries etc.

Yes, and the among thosd ‘reasons’ is the pre season camp.
Whether it affected him more than it affected the other players, it’s certainly helped him to lose trust and faith in the club along with the mismanagement of his injuries etc.
The pre-season camp is only a minor factor in Gov's decision.

More money & the chance to be the #1 forward under Teague are the key factors.

Gov is more professional than you think. He's not going to spit the dummy.

If he was unprofessional as you suggest, why would your club be chasing him so hard?

Think about it...

Its not a matter about whether he is professional or not, it’s a matter about how he has lost trust and faith in the club.

You may think players are capable of putting their emotions aside and playing to the best of their abilities, but the truth there is a reason clubs want players enthusiastic to be there instead of those who are there begrudgingly

Its not a matter about whether he is professional or not, it’s a matter about how he has lost trust and faith in the club.

You may think players are capable of putting their emotions aside and playing to the best of their abilities, but the truth there is a reason clubs want players enthusiastic to be there instead of those who are there begrudgingly
It's really not the major issue you are making it out to be. You are blowing it way out of proportion. Are you Sam McClure? ;)

I doubt we’d be paying him more than you guys, seeing as how he was happy with the amount he signed on for with you guys less a year ago, and he hasn’t had a season that makes him think he’s worth more.

As for the number one forward under Teague, he knows, we know and everyone knows that Curnow takes that spot followed closely by Harry.

It's really not the major issue you are making it out to be. You are blowing it way out of proportion. Are you Sam McClure? ;)

I’m not blowing anything out of proportion.
I’d be hard pressed to find any player that just agreed to sign a 3 year deal with their club, start thinking about leaving not even months after the ink on that deal had dried.

If that’s not proof enough that he has serious issues with staying at the club, then I don’t know what is

I doubt we’d be paying him more than you guys, seeing as how he was happy with the amount he signed on for with you guys less a year ago, and he hasn’t had a season that makes him think he’s worth more.

As for the number one forward under Teague, he knows, we know and everyone knows that Curnow takes that spot followed closely by Harry.
Nearly everything in your post is wrong.

I’d be hard pressed to find any player that just agreed to sign a 3 year deal with their club, start thinking about leaving not even months after the ink on that deal had dried.

If that’s not proof enough that he has serious issues with staying at the club, then I don’t know what is
If Gov stays you will be proven very wrong.

Gov was hitting good form this year prior to his collision with Douglas... for a supposed unhappy player

No reason why he wouldn't again next year.

I prefer to stick to facts rather than made up bluster.

Well actually mcgovern is as good a chance as any to take the mantle of your best goal kicker from matthew wright who has been clearly carltons most productive forward over recent seasons..it will be a lottery

If Gov stays you will be proven very wrong.

Gov was hitting good form this year prior to his collision with Douglas... for a supposed unhappy player

No reason why he wouldn't again next year.

Facts...

1) he wants to leave Adelaide, he has said as much and even nominated Carlton.

2) for a player to want to start thinking about leaving a club not even months after he resigned with them, there has to be serious issues in his mind with him staying at the club.
Players don’t go through the whole negotiating process and put ink to paper and expect that they can ask to leave over things they consider trivial.

Will he hold it against Adelaide if a deal isn’t reached and he can’t leave, well that’s up for debate as the answer won’t be know until next year.

But a club would be foolish to retain someone on there list that comes with that risk.

Last edited:
Well actually mcgovern is as good a chance as any to take the mantle of your best goal kicker from matthew wright who has been clearly carltons most productive forward over recent seasons..it will be a lottery

Yeah nah, Wright was a placeholder until curnow and Harry have developed enough to start ripping games apart, and we at Carlton are very confident that curnow and Harry will get there soon :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Facts...

1) he wants to leave Adelaide, he has said as much and even nominated Carlton.

2) for a player to want to start thinking about leaving a club not even months after he resigned with them, there has to be serious issues in his mind with him staying at the club.
Players don’t go through the whole negotiating process and put ink to paper and expect that they can ask to leave over things they consider trivial.

Will he hold it against Adelaide if a salad isn’t reached and he can’t leave, well that’s up for debate as the answer won’t be know until next year.

But a club would be foolish to retain someone on there list that comes with that risk.
So you have conveniently ignored the key fact that debunked your bluster... that Gov played some good football for us this season... despite being unhappy as you suggest.

Why? Because he is a professional earning $550K pa.

These are his main reasons.

Are they?

His manager came out and rubbished the notion he's moving for money.

No doubt you'll respond that he is not to be trusted, but I'd say he knows a fair bit more about what is going on than you do.

Would love to hear what you think since you believe you have closer contacts...

I have no contacts and I have never pretended otherwise. Not sure what you're on about.

Are they?

His manager came out and rubbished the notion he's moving for money.

No doubt you'll respond that he is not to be trusted, but I'd say he knows a fair bit more about what is going on than you do.

I have no contacts and I have never pretended otherwise. Not sure what you're on about.
His manager has come out with 3 conflicting statements, changing his ressoning in his dealings with Gov... & isn't known for being truthful...such that his fellow managers have been critical of his dealings.

Have you ever seen a manager come out & say my contracted client is leaving for more money?

So you have conveniently ignored the key fact that debunked your bluster... that Gov played some good football for us this season... despite being unhappy as you suggest.

Why? Because he is a professional earning $550K pa.

Why would he start to want to leave months after agreeing to a new contract if he didn’t feel being at Adelaide would affect him in someway?

The question now becomes, will the way he is affected being at Adelaide start to impact on his performance or not, that’s something we’ll find out next year.

But like I said, it would be foolish of any club to keep a player on their list that carries the risk that his dis-satisfaction with the club could seep into his onfield performance

For instance, if he feels that he can’t trust the medical department anymore, will that affect how hard he goes at the ball in case he gets injured again, it’s wuestions like these that the club will be risking if they retain him.

Last edited:
Why would he start to want to leave months after agreeing to a new contract if he didn’t feel being at Adelaide would affect him in someway?

The question now becomes, will the way he is affected being at Adelaide start to impact on his performance or not, that’s something we’ll find out next year.

But like I said, it would be foolish of any club to keep a player on their list that carries the risk that his did-satisfaction with the club could seep into his onfield performance
It didn't impact on his performances this year, so why would next season be any different?

He showed this season he acts as a professional on the field, even if not entirely happy off the field.

As I said previously, the facts speak for themselves.

First pick next season for Sheil would be the plan. I’m confident it wouldn’t be pick 1 overall.

Fasolo - free agent

McGovern - 2nd and a state league player should do it.

Setterfield - been injured a lot, could probably do it with a 3rd rounder
Lol terry Wallace mentioned this once and you guys have taken it and run.

His manager has come out with 3 conflicting statements, changing his ressoning in his dealings with Gov... & isn't known for being truthful...such that his fellow managers have been critical of his dealings

And yet he's still very clearly a more credible source than Adelaide supporters in this thread.

I don't know how you could seriously argue to the contrary.

Have you ever seen a manager come out & say my contracted client is leaving for more money?

I don't believe money is a huge motivating factor here for Mitch but I'm not silly enough to suggest I know for certain.

Sounds like he's going to be on a very similar contract to that which he is on at Adelaide.

It didn't impact on his performances this year, so why would next season be any different?

He showed this season he acts as a professional on the field, even if not entirely happy off the field.

As I said previously, the facts speak for themselves.

You say he’s not entirely happy off the field, as though he has issues outside of the club and needs to address those.

Mate, his issue is the club.
It’s the club he has an issue with and wants to get away from, so retaining someone on your list who has issues with the club itself is a foolish risk to take

Lol terry Wallace mentioned this once and you guys have taken it and run.
The same clown thinks that now Carlton are speaking with contracted Setterfield that he is worth at best a late 1st and carlton will offer a 2nd. Gotta love these Vic commentators cheerleading for their clubs when it comes to undervaluing interstate based players

I have absolutely no doubt McGovern has "serious issues"......but very little of that is the Crows doing.

You say that you like to stick to facts but then go on to say that money is a major factor when his manager has stated he will be on similar money to what he was on at Adelaide.

Where have you heard he left to be #1 key forward?

I have absolutely no doubt McGovern has "serious issues"......but very little of that is the Crows doing.

Take it from someone who supports a club that had one of its own players in the past having an issue with the club itself.

We had Henderson who had issues with our club, trust me when I say as Carlton supporters the most infuriating thing in the world was watching him on the field stinking it up because he wanted out. In the end we had to suffer through watching him because the club kept playing him hoping he’d have a few good games to increase his trade value.

So trust me that when I tell you it’s too big a risk to keep a player when he has an issue with the club itself and wants out, professionalism doesn’t always come to the fore

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Mitch McGovern [traded to Carlton in a three-way trade involving Sydney and McAdam]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back