Moloney Trade

Remove this Banner Ad

PAOKTSIS said:
I just think you guys were better off keeping Moloney and drafting Willits with your first round pick. You would've kept a quality player and you would have also obtained a big bodied ruck/ff (exacttly what you were after) who is ready to step into the AFL and play for 10+ years.

That would have been one way to go. I liked Willets and yet again PA manage to get quality late in the draft. The problem for Geelong is that we dont have a Tredrea that he can learn off or to take the heat while he finds his feet. At Geelong he would join a bunch of "Potential" talls off which we hope to turn a key position player out.This may or may not happen. We have side capable of holding its own in most other areas for the next 5 years so we really need a key forward/ alt ruckman NOW.
What we are talking about is potential risk.The risk is if Ottens doesnt work its cost us two players in the top20 in a year with tall talent.These guys might or might not be top players and who can say who Geelong would have picked with those picks anyway, as I said Geelong has quite a few promising talls but taking more on would require rebalance.The advantage we have is our quality players are still quite young and we have couple F/S in the pipeline so we could afford to gamble on a draft. It was time to go for a NOW.

rota69 said:
im sorry to tell u guys but ottens isnt worth losing moloney meyer and pattison i mean thats 1 good player and 2 potential superstars

Thanks for the heartfelt "sorry".

Maybe, if we're lucky, we can trade Ottens next year for a fourth round pick.

And clearly we'll have to give up a top 5 pick to get Moloney back.

Moloney = good small not best small at geelong

Ottens = Good tall best forward option at Geelong

You cant win games with a small key forward

And I f Moloney is 181cms I will bear my arse in Bourke st. Talked to him in the Bool at christmas and I was taller and im 177

rota69 said:
no 3 things u gave away
moloney 1,
you gave us pick 16 2,
u gave us pick 12 3

where do you think P-12 came from. definitely not from the "priority pool" that you dipped in.

i'm surprised at the amount of debate this trade still creates. all last yr we kept pointing out how we needed
a) key fwd
b) decent backup ruckman

and also had
a) midfield depth & tough competition for places

we got both requirements for a midfielder....and arguably not one of our top-tier midfielders too. works well for me

worthogs said:
Moloney = good small not best small at geelong

Ottens = Good tall best forward option at Geelong

You cant win games with a small key forward

And I f Moloney is 181cms I will bear my arse in Bourke st. Talked to him in the Bool at christmas and I was taller and im 177

Yeah, I'm having trouble believing footballer's listed heights as well. I was at the VFL practive game for Geelong vs Port Melbourne a couple of weeks back and a number of the senior team were standing around with the rest of us. Paul CHapman is listed as 175cm and I'm 170cm, but I swear I felt as if we were the same height. Granted, I was in my runners, but so was he, so he still should have been taller than me.

It was the same thing with Phil Egan, who played for Richmond in the 80's. He was supposed to be 180cm, and yet the last time I spoke with him (over 10 years ago!) we were almost talking eye-toeye. There's no way he was 10cm taller than me.

I really do wonder about players listed heights. :confused:

answerman said:
Yeah, I'm having trouble believing footballer's listed heights as well. I was at the VFL practive game for Geelong vs Port Melbourne a couple of weeks back and a number of the senior team were standing around with the rest of us. Paul CHapman is listed as 175cm and I'm 170cm, but I swear I felt as if we were the same height. Granted, I was in my runners, but so was he, so he still should have been taller than me.

It was the same thing with Phil Egan, who played for Richmond in the 80's. He was supposed to be 180cm, and yet the last time I spoke with him (over 10 years ago!) we were almost talking eye-toeye. There's no way he was 10cm taller than me.

I really do wonder about players listed heights. :confused:

They possible measured Moloney from the peak of his hair cut

rota69 said:
no 3 things u gave away
moloney 1,
you gave us pick 16 2,
u gave us pick 12 3

What the...

Moloney = Pick 12. We wouldnt have got Pick 12 without giving away Bemmer. Basically its either Moloney and Pick16 (which was ours) or Pick 16 and pick12 which was ours after trade.

Therfore we miss out on Meyer and Patterson or Patterson and Moloney. It was impossible to have Meyer and Moloney on our list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Moloney Trade

Remove this Banner Ad

Back