Monday Funnies - Yze to still be a leader!

Remove this Banner Ad

morgoth

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2002
Beaumaris
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Given his hard man reputation you have to question why he was sumped from the leadership group.

I'll still be a leader, vows Yze
13 February 2006 Herald Sun
Jon Ralph

FIVE months ago Adem Yze led Melbourne into an elimination final against Geelong as the acting captain, having overcome a groin strain that should have ended his consecutive games record at an even 200.

New focus: Adem Yze tries a different game on the Gold Coast. He is confident of playing more consistently this season.
Picture: Tim Carrafa

Not only had Yze just been dumped entirely from the club's leadership role, but he had to cope with the fallout of a drastic form slump last year that mirrored his side's seven-game losing streak.

While Melbourne finally recovered to grab a finals berth, Yze had no impact in that humbling thrashing at the hands of Geelong, after taking over the helm from an injured David Neitz.

But rather than spend an off-season despairing about his performance or his demotion from the leadership group, Yze has gone about identifying the reasons behind them. He says he is well-placed to eradicate the inconsistency of 2005.

He might still be smarting about losing his vice-captaincy, but says he will carry on as a leader at the club, regardless of title.

"They have gone with more of a youth policy so they have put a couple of younger guys in there, so they have made it a smaller group," he said yesterday after the club's corporate golf day in Robina Woods on the Gold Coast.

"I was a little bit disappointed at the start and would have loved to have still been vice-captain, but that is the decision they have made.

"So I will just have to worry about getting myself up, and maybe it might prolong my career.

"I remember Garry Lyon saying he felt the pressure of being the captain of the club, when he was trying to get back from injury, was too much for him.

"So I am 28 now and still think I have a lot of footy left in me, and I will still be the same bloke around the club."

Yze started the season in a blaze with a pair of four-goal bags from the forward pocket to kick-start the year. But as Melbourne's momentum dried up mid-year, he was pushed to half-back to stem the bleeding.

He found that after loitering in the forward pocket letting his fitness ebb away, he did not have the tank to match it with his fleet-footed opponents.

"I just think I got stale playing forward pocket. I got stuck down there, and if you are playing there for half a year, you do lose a lot of fitness.

"I actually pulled the pin in a couple of games. I went into the midfield and I just couldn't do it. I just felt I didn't have enough to stay with my man, so I had to change and go forward again.

"From chatting to the coach, so far I have been training at half-back and playing half-back, maybe for the first half of the year. I should keep my fitness, and if I do move forward later in the year, I can do that. We just figured that out the hard way."

Yze, with 232 AFL games, including 201 in a row, needs only 41 more to break Robert Flower's club games record and 44 to eclipse Jim Stynes' record of 244 consecutive games.

The 28-year-old says right now he could not care less about setting records for the club. "I will be really proud of how many games I have played, but I won't look at how many games I have played in a row," he said.

morgoth said:
Given his hard man reputation you have to question why he was sumped from the leadership group.

I'll still be a leader, vows Yze
13 February 2006 Herald Sun
Jon Ralph

FIVE months ago Adem Yze led Melbourne into an elimination final against Geelong as the acting captain, having overcome a groin strain that should have ended his consecutive games record at an even 200.

New focus: Adem Yze tries a different game on the Gold Coast. He is confident of playing more consistently this season.
Picture: Tim Carrafa

Not only had Yze just been dumped entirely from the club's leadership role, but he had to cope with the fallout of a drastic form slump last year that mirrored his side's seven-game losing streak.

While Melbourne finally recovered to grab a finals berth, Yze had no impact in that humbling thrashing at the hands of Geelong, after taking over the helm from an injured David Neitz.

But rather than spend an off-season despairing about his performance or his demotion from the leadership group, Yze has gone about identifying the reasons behind them. He says he is well-placed to eradicate the inconsistency of 2005.

He might still be smarting about losing his vice-captaincy, but says he will carry on as a leader at the club, regardless of title.

"They have gone with more of a youth policy so they have put a couple of younger guys in there, so they have made it a smaller group," he said yesterday after the club's corporate golf day in Robina Woods on the Gold Coast.

"I was a little bit disappointed at the start and would have loved to have still been vice-captain, but that is the decision they have made.

"So I will just have to worry about getting myself up, and maybe it might prolong my career.

"I remember Garry Lyon saying he felt the pressure of being the captain of the club, when he was trying to get back from injury, was too much for him.

"So I am 28 now and still think I have a lot of footy left in me, and I will still be the same bloke around the club."

Yze started the season in a blaze with a pair of four-goal bags from the forward pocket to kick-start the year. But as Melbourne's momentum dried up mid-year, he was pushed to half-back to stem the bleeding.

He found that after loitering in the forward pocket letting his fitness ebb away, he did not have the tank to match it with his fleet-footed opponents.

"I just think I got stale playing forward pocket. I got stuck down there, and if you are playing there for half a year, you do lose a lot of fitness.

"I actually pulled the pin in a couple of games. I went into the midfield and I just couldn't do it. I just felt I didn't have enough to stay with my man, so I had to change and go forward again.

"From chatting to the coach, so far I have been training at half-back and playing half-back, maybe for the first half of the year. I should keep my fitness, and if I do move forward later in the year, I can do that. We just figured that out the hard way."

Yze, with 232 AFL games, including 201 in a row, needs only 41 more to break Robert Flower's club games record and 44 to eclipse Jim Stynes' record of 244 consecutive games.

The 28-year-old says right now he could not care less about setting records for the club. "I will be really proud of how many games I have played, but I won't look at how many games I have played in a row," he said.
You want Yze....admit it bottom 4.:cool:

Somebody should tell Adam Yze that "leader" and "frontrunner" do not mean the same thing.

redandblackveins said:
What a joke!
I Bet you wouldn't mind him in your side. He's better than that pedestrian/Hefferhack you just picked up.

We at melbourne can not get over Essendon's stupidy, or naiviety in thinking they can reform a dud!! :eek:

redandblackveins said:
What a joke!
The joke is, he's bette than half the essedon team put together. Bomber losers. 2006, bomber will ******** themselves at the bottom of the ladder and sooky Lloyd will do his usual dives, falls and crying in order to get a free kick. What a loser club Essedon are.

dee_molisher said:
The joke is, he's bette than half the essedon team put together. Bomber losers. 2006, bomber will ******** themselves at the bottom of the ladder and sooky Lloyd will do his usual dives, falls and crying in order to get a free kick. What a loser club Essedon are.

the little demons are still mentally scarred...:D

dee_molisher said:

:D oh dear

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He may be a talented player, but he isn't a leader's a**ehole!

That final against Geelong was a joke, highlighted further by the fact that our Captain tossed the coin and was then tossed to the bench. He says his consecutive games record is not important to him, and I think all Melbourne supporters would like him to prove that. If he's playing like crap, he shouldn't be spared.

HBF would suit him better than playing in the forward pocket. Lets hope he proves all the critics wrong.

He was out of form, injured, or both, by the end of last year.

I remember trying to take one handed marks on the lead during the Sydney game at Telstra Dome.

It just wasn't good enough - and he really has to pull his finger out in 06. Only a good, consistent season of football will be acceptable.

He'd have to be wondering how he could be dumped from the leadership group when a even bigger squib in Green has just been added to the leadership group.

dave_27 said:
He'd have to be wondering how he could be dumped from the leadership group when a even bigger squib in Green has just been added to the leadership group.

Green was added to the leadership group at the end of 2004, along with Bruce.

Although your point is somewhat valid. There are question marks over Green's ability to play consistenly good football, but he deserves more than just the one season to prove that he's a worthy leader. If he fails again, there will be a few youngsters just waiting to replace him, especially McLean.

Remove this Banner Ad

Monday Funnies - Yze to still be a leader!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back