Unofficial Preview Monday's Fan Forum: The 'Questions?' thread

Are you going to Ed's fan forum?

• Not a member :(

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • Am a member, but I won't be going

Votes: 27 44.3%
  • Am a member, and I've got my best suit pressed / prettiest frock picked out and I'll be there!

Votes: 22 36.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

To Eddie:

1. Under Nathan's leadership, this team has slid down the ladder for 3 consecutive seasons and we have just missed the finals for the first time in 8 years.
Can you admit that the club bungled the whole succession plan, especially the choice of successor.

2. Other than Nathan, who else was considered to succeeded Mick Malthouse. Did you interview and consider candidates outside the club because I find it hard to fathom it is the best interest of the club to replace a hugely successful premiership coach for someone with no previous head coaching experience despite his exploits as a player.

3. Is the club ruthless enough to move on a great of the club like Nathan Buckley while contracted, for a better candidate that is available such as Essendon's Mark Thompson, a proven premiership coach.

I don’t agree with Question 1 but Question 2 would be Interesting to hear if they had a Back-Up Plan IF Bucks did go to North

1. Why is Kennedy always the sub? is it because he is the littlest
2. Why is Blair always first picked? is it because he used to be the littlest?

Why did we believe Lynch and White would be anything other than the inconsistent, frustrating players they had always been for so many years at their former clubs?

To Eddie:

1. Under Nathan's leadership, this team has slid down the ladder for 3 consecutive seasons and we have just missed the finals for the first time in 8 years.
Can you admit that the club bungled the whole succession plan, especially the choice of successor.

I wouldn't mind getting the answer to a similar question: "Given the benefit of reflection and hindsight, could you have handled the succession plan better, and if so how?"

What is it you hope to achieve out of this forum? Is this solely a means to quiet an angry mob or will action be taken to rectify not just the onfield but off field issues we as members and financial contributors to this club are experiencing?

Ed, why do you even bother to acknowledge the "internet carpers" they are so few in number that in the scheme of things they are an irrelevancy.

To give you an idea how few they are:
On BigFooty there are about 1200 members
Of those there are about 200 Collingwood Supporters
Of those about 15 are internet carpers

Ed, can I suggest you ignore them, they are nothing and if you saw one in the street, you would cross to the other side of the road.

Some of the posts in this thread already indicate what sort of night it is going to be. Congratulations to Eddie and Bucks for having the guts to face the music, but I think they are going to be in for a long night.

I am on board totally with the direction of the club and am willing to be patient. Whether this direction works or not, I think we did the right thing to rebuild.

However, what disappoints me is the manner we moved on some players.

Why when I watch the Block do I cringe when Darren Jolly wins??

Why do I hate Leon Davis?

Why do I hate Mick Malthouse.

Why have I thrown out every Daisy Thomas memorabilia I have, and why do I cheer when Chris Dawes drops a mark?

I re-watched the 2010 GF and these guys were just amazing. Even though Leon missed the replay, the goal he kicked in the last quarter of the drawn GF was a key moment in our history.

I think we need to celebrate this victory more, but it seems 2010 is a taboo topic. I fear the 10 year reunion is going to really awkward.

I want to see Alan Didak back at the club getting involved. Same with Chris Tarrant. Even Leigh Brown.

I think we need to come to grips with the past before we can move forward.

The players and coaches listed above all did the wrong thing by the club in my opinion. However, I also think Buckley and McGuire could have handled their departures better.

Yes they are moving on, but they are still vital to the clubs history.

I want to get over my anger at MM and Darren Jolly and Dale Thomas. I feel that them moving on was the best thing for our club anyway.

I think the club needs to get on the front foot here.

Collingwood premierships don't come a long often, so I think we need to let bygons be bygons and move forward, whilst still acknowledging the significant contributions of those departed from the team.

I could ask a million questions but haveing been there and done that at the AGM and having listened to others at AGMs over the year it is a complete waste of time unless you want cheerleader questions and cheerleader responses. 4 unrelated Q's I'd like to ask if I thought there was any point:
1. How much of each membership $ will go to other clubs under the new AFL equalisation mandate?
2. What if any demonstrated positives have come form the culture change and how has the impact of leading teams been monitiored and assessed?
3. What say does the coach have in recriuting decions via the draft and via trades/free agency?
4. Having won the flag in 2010 and having a fantastic start to 2011 was any thougt given to extending MM and playing out the potential of the list in an attempt to maximise the chances of premierships over the short term and if not, as has been the public position, why not?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I could ask a million questions but haveing been there and done that at the AGM and having listened to others at AGMs over the year it is a complete waste of time unless you want cheerleader questions and cheerleader responses. 4 unrelated Q's I'd like to ask if I thought there was any point:
1. How much of each membership $ will go to other clubs under the new AFL equalisation mandate?
2. What if any demonstrated positives have come form the culture change and how has the impact of leading teams been monitiored and assessed?
3. What say does the coach have in recriuting decions via the draft and via trades/free agency?
4. Having won the flag in 2010 and having a fantastic start to 2011 was any thougt given to extending MM and playing out the potential of the list in an attempt to maximise the chances of premierships over the short term and if not, as has been the public position, why not?

First three are all good questions but I am really over the MM situation - what does it matter, done, dusted, gone. Lets look at the now and the future and work towards that.

First three are all good questions but I am really over the MM situation - what does it matter, done, dusted, gone. Lets look at the now and the future and work towards that.
I'm over MM and was a long time ago. The issue isn't MM it is the decision making process and the egos that have brought a club at the height of it's powers undone.

I'm over MM and was a long time ago. The issue isn't MM it is the decision making process and the egos that have brought a club at the height of it's powers undone.

I understand all that but I seriously think that there was not much wrong with the process. After all what can you do when someone, agrees then reneges on that agreement? The only question regarding the process worth asking is, "was anyone besides Buckley considered for the position"? (To appease many here, although, I agreed with it at the time).

In my mind, MM's time at the club had expired.

I understand all that but I seriously think that there was not much wrong with the process. After all what can you do when someone, agrees then reneges on that agreement? The only question regarding the process worth asking is, "was anyone besides Buckley considered for the position"? (To appease many here, although, I agreed with it at the time).

In my mind, MM's time at the club had expired.
We are on different wavelenghts here. I agree with all you wrote there. My point though was about the early 2011 position. I am all for the initial plan adn I thunk it helped us win the flag. Having achieved that and performing as well as we were during 2011 we should have looked at changing the course and potentially extending MM for a year or two. We could always sack him if it went south. My concern is that the ego's of Eddie, Mick and Bucks at the time couldn't work something out for the benefit of the club and then the egos of some players added to the mix later. It's the classic Collingwood story. You could write (another) book about it if it.

* Match Day Experience. "A number of the recent additions to the match day experience have been quite intrusive/irritating in terms of volume (The Holden get loud thing) or contrived and silly (dance troupe, kiss cam). Given the extra costs associated with getting decent seats as a member, what are you doing to improve match day for members, rather than using them as a product to sell to advertisers? "

This saves me from typing it myself.

I think pre-match stuff is overrated in terms of Match Day experience.

What the fans want is a curtain raiser. Get the Collingwood VFL team playing before our game. Fans will come.

The rest is up to the AFL. They need to work on ticket pricing, scheduling and food costs.

The one aspect you are forgetting is atmosphere. That's a key consideration when going to the footy. A good experience feeds off an electric atmosphere. The dead cheer squad which the club was culpable in dumbing down and the empty seats in the Ponsford are things that are within the clubs power to look at and help in part address.

I'm not going to ask why but can we draft more indigenous kid's on our list for future krakouer magic cos thats what we need and every supporter wants to see :), lets be honest as we miss it.

Last edited:
Why don't my rice bubbles go 'snap, crackle, pop' anymore?
Oh & when will the club provide a proper social club for members (at the MCG & at the Westpac centre)?
Plus, what will the club do with the millions of $$$ that it will continue to accumulate? If we have 30 million sitting in the bank, how do we spend it (with basic caps on Football department spending, resulting from the equalization tax)?

As a Collingwood member there is one thing that's irked me over the years - why is it that GF tickets are allocated by random selection to members who are in a membership bracket that doesn't qualify for a guaranteed GF ticket? Surely members who actively support the team by attending every game should be given priority over those who rarely attend? Is the club able to ascertain how many games any particular member attends throughout the year? Why is it that a club with a history of being a club for the people doesn't give its grass roots members as much opportunity to get a GF ticket as it possibly can but instead allocates tickets for corporate sponsors or anyone with money to burn who wants to attend purely to impress his or her colleagues or clients?

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview Monday's Fan Forum: The 'Questions?' thread

Back