Morabito to undergo knee surgery

Remove this Banner Ad

The world ending wouldn't coincide with us winning a flag would it?

when pigs fly and all that...

Damn those Mayans

I'm cool with it - can die a happy man. And on the bright side, if any Eagles supporters make it to the pearly gates, we can remind them that we are the reigning premiers - indefinitely.

Pretty clever those Mayans. I think they foresaw a possible run of Collingwood premierships and undertook to put us all out of our misery. If we can get up in 2012, thereby demonstrating the world has redeemed itself, all will be :cool:

Just interesting to compare with Timmy Ruffles' ACL in terms of the time frame. Tim did his ACL on 19/08, and according to this training report was back running on the 26/11, 99 days later. Mora did his on 10/12... 99 days after this is 19/03. Our season starts on the 26th.

I'm not for any moment suggesting he'll play any part for us next season
, obviously being able to complete a slow jog is way away from playing AFL. No, the point I'm making is that assuming Mora's surgery + recovery goes reasonably similar to how Tim's went, he'll be back doing light training 12 months before Round 1 2012. That's 12 months to build up his endurance, 12 months to polish off his skills, with the target being the 2012 NAB cup in 14 months time. Compare this to Palmer's injury, where he spent the 2009 AFL season recovering, and then started his light running when others were starting their regular pre-season.

Interestingly, Ruffles played WAFL reserves football (albeit half the match) 8 months after his first knee reconstruction. 8 months from Mora's injury is mid to early august. I highly doubt that we'll risk playing him the WAFL so late in the season, but it just shows that it is possible he could be training quite heavily a month before finals, and could resume full training with the rest of the list on the first day of the 2012 pre season.

I am aware there's complications etc. that can occur, and that most players have different recovery timeframes so the Ruffles comparison is probably redunant and someone with more medical knowledge than me could probably explain the recovery timeline a lot more accurately. But still, it feels a little bit better to know that Mora could be running around at training Round 1 2011, improving his endurance and skill level, ready to burst into the 2012 season. :D

Ruffles recovered a lot quicker than Palmer aswell but unforunately it doesn't mean the same for Morabito. It is a very serious injury but if all goes well he should be training before seasons end and can hopefully regain a lot of his fitness base before 2012 Pre-Season. They had this show last night on normal TV called damage control or something and it was narrated by Russel Crowe regarding Australian sporting injuries. They had Leroy Jetta from Essendon injuring his thumb and being knocked out and Matt Rogers from Rugby tearing his medial ligament and some soccer player doing the full ACL. Interesting show

Just interesting to compare with Timmy Ruffles' ACL in terms of the time frame. Tim did his ACL on 19/08, and according to this training report was back running on the 26/11, 99 days later. Mora did his on 10/12... 99 days after this is 19/03. Our season starts on the 26th.

Given that Mora did his knee over two weeks ago, he'd already be walking around without crutches. Wouldn't be surprised to see him doing some light swimming/cycling within the next week either. Actually, I'd be very surprised to see him doing that because that would mean I'm at a pre-season training session...If the rehab goes correctly there is no reason he wouldn't be back to light training within 3 months (approx. 90 days).

6 months - he'll be able to do all the training work excluding the contact stuff.

9 months - back into everything at training.

Very different times but Libba got back within like 3-4 weeks or something when he did his knee. Supposedly he was back on a stationary bike the day after surgery. Crazy stuff.

I'm not for any moment suggesting he'll play any part for us next season, obviously being able to complete a slow jog is way away from playing AFL. No, the point I'm making is that assuming Mora's surgery + recovery goes reasonably similar to how Tim's went, he'll be back doing light training 12 months before Round 1 2012. That's 12 months to build up his endurance, 12 months to polish off his skills, with the target being the 2012 NAB cup in 14 months time. Compare this to Palmer's injury, where he spent the 2009 AFL season recovering, and then started his light running when others were starting their regular pre-season.

LOL. More like 12 months to add some stamps to his passport ;).

Interestingly, Ruffles played WAFL reserves football (albeit half the match) 8 months after his first knee reconstruction. 8 months from Mora's injury is mid to early august. I highly doubt that we'll risk playing him the WAFL so late in the season, but it just shows that it is possible he could be training quite heavily a month before finals, and could resume full training with the rest of the list on the first day of the 2012 pre season.

Yeah it's pretty promising, I'd be shocked if he wasn't involved in a full pre-season training program ahead of the 2012 season.

I am aware there's complications etc. that can occur, and that most players have different recovery timeframes so the Ruffles comparison is probably redunant and someone with more medical knowledge than me could probably explain the recovery timeline a lot more accurately. But still, it feels a little bit better to know that Mora could be running around at training Round 1 2011, improving his endurance and skill level, ready to burst into the 2012 season. :D

The mental side of his recovery is the most important part. Until he actually plays a game of footy it's impossible to know how that's going. There will be plenty of 'Do I go? Can I go? Should I go? Okay, go...still going...phew' moments when he first comes back. Once he stops thinking about his knee is when he'll be back to 100%.

Given that Mora did his knee over two weeks ago, he'd already be walking around without crutches. Wouldn't be surprised to see him doing some light swimming/cycling within the next week either. Actually, I'd be very surprised to see him doing that because that would mean I'm at a pre-season training session...If the rehab goes correctly there is no reason he wouldn't be back to light training within 3 months (approx. 90 days).

100 days is about right for starting to learn to run again. The rehab protocols seem to say between 3 and 4 months for running.

Palmer's was different because he had an infection/ complication which pushes everything back and those protocols go out the window.

Morabito had his op last week? He'd still be on crutches, just weening himself off after a week and walking without crutches at all after 2 weeks. Learning to walk in the pool and stuff.

They say a month into rehab before cycling, but it's more the ROM you have. After 2 weeks I have about 80% comfortable ROM, so I'm allowed to start some gentle stuff on a bike.

A guy I cycle with was back on an excercise bike 10 days after his. Not sure the day after would be much help.

But in the US, they get people back onto the playing field much faster. I'm not exactly sure how. But they get people doing balancing and stuff very quickly and the surgeons here generally leave that.

The muscle strength takes about 12 months to be able to be balanced back up. The ligament graft isn't at full strength for 18 months. If you've had significant wastage all that can be pushed out another 12 months. It's why Joe Bloggs off the street will say it takes 2-3 years to feel right again whereas an elite athlete will say 1-2.

But there are a lot of variables: the way people treat the rehab, the way they are going into the surgery, complicating factors in surgery, and the natural recovery rate of the person.

100 days is about right for starting to learn to run again. The rehab protocols seem to say between 3 and 4 months for running.

Palmer's was different because he had an infection/ complication which pushes everything back and those protocols go out the window.

Morabito had his op last week? He'd still be on crutches, just weening himself off after a week and walking without crutches at all after 2 weeks. Learning to walk in the pool and stuff.

They say a month into rehab before cycling, but it's more the ROM you have. After 2 weeks I have about 80% comfortable ROM, so I'm allowed to start some gentle stuff on a bike.

I don't know much other than my own experience. I thought Mora had the surgery immediately, wasn't that over two weeks ago? After 2 weeks I'd ditched the crutches and was starting to walk around.

IIRC it was about a month before I had full ROM. Not sure I would've called it comfortable though. Then again, I half assed my rehab/recovery as well as anyone.

A guy I cycle with was back on an excercise bike 10 days after his. Not sure the day after would be much help.

Libba's surgeon saw him on the bike and was pretty much told 'I know my body, **** off' when he suggested it wasn't the best idea. Very different times back then though.

But in the US, they get people back onto the playing field much faster. I'm not exactly sure how. But they get people doing balancing and stuff very quickly and the surgeons here generally leave that.

They have some different times for all sorts of injuries over there. I saw an article recently about an NBA player who had done his hammy, they had it as 6-8 weeks on the sidelines. No idea what the severity was but aren't they normally like 3-4 weeks here?

The NBA is weird though. They need a medical clearance, but it seems to be more the players choice than the medical guys decision.

"Look Doc, he's costing me $20 million this season, if he wants to play you will sign his clearance. Right. Eff'n. Now!"

A guy like Allen Iverson would play through all sorts of serious injuries, whereas someone like Vince Carter would be happy with any old excuse not to play.

Pretty sure the NFL has more of a 'unless the limb we need to inject is actually missing, we will inject it, and you will play' approach to their injuries.

The muscle strength takes about 12 months to be able to be balanced back up. The ligament graft isn't at full strength for 18 months. If you've had significant wastage all that can be pushed out another 12 months. It's why Joe Bloggs off the street will say it takes 2-3 years to feel right again whereas an elite athlete will say 1-2.

Isn't the ligament graft at it's weakest after 6 weeks or something like that? It's a few years ago now but I recall something like that. It's grafted in, it 'dies' off, then it kinda grows back or something?...

But there are a lot of variables: the way people treat the rehab, the way they are going into the surgery, complicating factors in surgery, and the natural recovery rate of the person.

If I was a professional athlete I'd be treating the rehab as a 12 month vacation and a good excuse to get out of a pre-season. Though, that's probably why I'm not a professional athlete.

Had my knee done 3 years ago and the surgeon told me the Graft is strongest from the first day it is inserted and then weakest from 1 month to 4 months as the body attacks it and kills it..
THe knee is never the same but hopefuly Mora being in an elite athlete and in an AFL system the medicos can strengthen it and make him feel comfortable in turning stopping quickly..

Isn't the ligament graft at it's weakest after 6 weeks or something like that? It's a few years ago now but I recall something like that. It's grafted in, it 'dies' off, then it kinda grows back or something?...

6-8 weeks for various reasons apparently. The ligament begins to stretch as you get more movement, and the muscles around it are still weak. But after that, it's ok. Which is why I'd assume they give the go ahead for more resumptions after that.

Pretty sure that Mora had surgery on Mon 13 Dec. Which means 4 weeks will be Mon 10 Jan a time all players will be back from break and training. Mon 4 Feb will be 8 weeks and according to descriptions above a time that he will see pretty good ROM. All in all if you could choose a time to ACL it would be the time that Mora did it. Just over a week before club breaks for 2010 and 6 weeks into the preseason so he has got some good training under his belt. I would certainly expect all going well that Mora would be training with the team come August as Fremantle hits the later part of the season and this would give him a good head start to the next pre-season. As far as the ligament damage it appears from description of the incident that it was a lot more like Ruffles 2009 injury so without infection should see pretty good recovery.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Morabito to undergo knee surgery

Remove this Banner Ad

Back