Morabito to undergo knee surgery

Remove this Banner Ad

Bugger. I love this guy, and it is not for his looks! We all know Hill will be a star, but I always keep thinking Mora could be the best for this club yet with a bit more maturity - think Kouta circa 1995 (?). At least the club is thinking long term in regards to his future.

Hate to see any player go down with an ACL or any other major injury.

He is a future star and I believe will still have a brilliant career with Freo. Best of luck to the lad.

I don't believe it. **** **** **** **** **** . Its incredible .

He and Fyfe were the players I was most looking forward to seeing play next year . Seriously I can't ****ing believe it . Palmer then Barlow now this :mad:

I think you can see from the posters from other clubs that he has been noticed this year as somebody potentially real special .

Bad news - really enjoyed Morabito's play last year and thought his overall season as a rookie was much under-rated across the league - should have featured more heavily in RS talk. Does a lot more with a given # of possies than most players (true "80m" player).

Hope he'll be back in 2012 and not lose much from the injury.

Again, lots of respect for all the Adelaide posters for their sentiments...and unusually WCE fans too.

I really doubt it will have a huge impact on his career.

The real promising thing is he won't miss any of the 2011-2012 pre-season, so he will come back fully recovered, and recovered enough to get fit and going for the 2012 season. Not a lot of players that do their knee's get that chance as most are done during the season, and players are either finding their way back into full training late in the pre-season or during the season itself.

He'll get 9-12 months of steady recovery, get plenty of time to work on his body and endurance during the 2011 season and then hit the track really hard come next November/December ready to go round 1 with a bigger body and better running capacity. He'll even probably play the pre-season comp.

I don't think the year off will really hurt his development at all. If anything it will make him appreciate footy more and add to his committment. It's just a shame we won't get to see him on the field for a year.

agree with the sentiments regarding opposition supporters and their well wishes. nice to be reminded that footy is about community rather than the factionalism of blood thirsty weekend warriors.

we seem to get a lot of knee and foot injuries, and i was wondering if it's due to our conditioning staff, putting aside the freak accidents (barlow and tarrant's last injury).
collingwood seem to never have these types of injury problems, is it because they have the staff to monitor these things or is it sheer bad luck on our part?
for example, ballyntine's foot injury was apparently caused by his kicking style taking a divot out of the ground in its motion. i assume our staff would be looking at correcting this, but does anyone know for sure?

this whole situation eats wang :(

Yes, yes it does.
I was so looking forward to next year now I'm already thinking, great, another year where we can't get our best team on the park.
Mora was one of the big things I was excited about for the year. I believe he can be another Koutafides in his impact on games.
I'm sure it will still be a good development year and we'll play finals but it's not the magic year when everything goes your way. YET.
Realistically I suppose Fyfe, Hill etc will all be better in 2012 and Sandi, Pav, McPharlin will still be in their prime. Perhaps that's the year.

Strange how expectations have gone up so quickly since 2009! I believe we have a top 4 squad now if we can get them all on the park.

This sucks so hard, he was one of the most exciting young prospects in the AFL and has been dealt a huge blow. Hopefully hos recovery doesn't span nearly two seasons as it seems to have with Palmer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the news nearly made me cry. He was my fav on field last year, was so excited to see him this year.

Someone wrap hilly in cotton wool ffs...

but, being off his feet for a while, Mora is gonna come back built like a tank... bring on some gym sessions...

Horrible news. He is really an exciting player!

Poor Guy, best of luck with his rehab. Trying to think of a silver lining here, maybe because it was done so early in the preseason he will get to have a full preseason next year and not have to endure that slow year building up confidence in his knee.

Thanks for the good wishes from other fans and I am hopeful that he will come back well in 2012 (that sounds a long way away!!!!).
The problem is that this year I feel confident we can really push for a top 4 and prelim win while Pav is still near to his peak. I feel our overall chances this year have taken a real blow with this injury!!!

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/8490513/morabito-out-for-the-2011-season/

The teenager changed direction in a regulation drill and his knee buckled. ...

The 19-year-old had set himself for a huge 2011 season after playing 23 games, including two finals, in 2010. His manager, Colin Young, said the news was a shocking blow.

“He said that he’d done that same drill and same movement in every training session and every game,” Young said.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/8490513/morabito-out-for-the-2011-season/

Anyone know of this happening to others?

Firstly, hope Mora's recovery goes well. Bad luck for the young man.

With his injury and how easily it happened doing such a simple drill / movement you would think the joint must have been already weak from either playing so many games in his first season or he got a knock and a partial tear or something earlier.

Palmer is another who did a knee after blitzing in his first season.

The question may well be is Freo (as well as others) playing first year players too early or too much too early. I know the Crows had pretty stringent guidelines about not playing first year draftees much at all if at all in their first year.

Sure kids these days seem to be bigger and better prepared physically for AFL when drafted but playing over 20 games in your first season is asking a lot for a 18yr old.

I think an 18 year old is ready to play straight off. Obviously depends on size and devlopment alot bu someone like mora you would of though is good. Wouldn't have to do with recovery, or not long enough recovery from the year before?

Firstly, hope Mora's recovery goes well. Bad luck for the young man.

With his injury and how easily it happened doing such a simple drill / movement you would think the joint must have been already weak from either playing so many games in his first season or he got a knock and a partial tear or something earlier.

Palmer is another who did a knee after blitzing in his first season.

The question may well be is Freo (as well as others) playing first year players too early or too much too early. I know the Crows had pretty stringent guidelines about not playing first year draftees much at all if at all in their first year.

Sure kids these days seem to be bigger and better prepared physically for AFL when drafted but playing over 20 games in your first season is asking a lot for a 18yr old.

A person i know, who is not unfit by any means and at the time was 20, did a hamstring while in bed..... sometimes you are just unlucky. i dont think this has one iota to do with playing the kids too early.... but it doesnt suprise me eagles fans are looking for ways to blame our coaching staff, given that we have gotten 99% of everything right in the last couple of years while your team of "coaches" has gotten mostly everything wrong :eek:

Oh look, it's Obeanie1, the Eagles troll.

Why would you think that?

I know the Crows had pretty stringent guidelines about not playing first year draftees much at all if at all in their first year.

Didn't help Andy Otten.

Thanks for coming.

A person i know, who is not unfit by any means and at the time was 20, did a hamstring while in bed..... sometimes you are just unlucky. i dont think this has one iota to do with playing the kids too early.... but it doesnt suprise me eagles fans are looking for ways to blame our coaching staff, given that we have gotten 99% of everything right in the last couple of years while your team of "coaches" has gotten mostly everything wrong :eek:

So I take it he was pretty keen to throw his leg over whoever he was in bed with?:D

Sex injuries can be the worst, just ask Demitt Breaton.:p

According to Google Images, this guy :thumbsu:

E012798_1_28.jpg

really sorry to hear this news.

love the look of the kid and was genuinely looking forward to watching him develop this year. hope he can overcome the injury and reach his full potential. if he even comes close he should be something special.

Remove this Banner Ad

Morabito to undergo knee surgery

Remove this Banner Ad

Back