Most Hated Team!

• Thread starter Eagle_Fan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Postman,

You, my friend are the idiot. I'm sorry.

I've never really cared much for the Blues, going back well beyond last year. I am fully accepting of the Bombers loss last year, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

If you don't have any passion in football, yourself, then I feel sorry for you. If you can't love your team, and despise the opposition, you are missing one of the great things about footy. Unfortunately, unknowledgeable supporters like you, spoil it for the rest of us. You obviously know nothing, as proven by your insipid, irrelevant comment.

But I don't want to waste my time slagging off on you any more. You don't deserve the attention...........sad case *shakes head*

The worst team in the AFL?
EASY!

The team that stops your team from winning last weeks game.
Whether it is Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon etc. There is nothing more annoying than smug jerks who love to get in your face when their team beats yours.
Apart from that the trip out to Windy Hill was always the worst because of the few yobbos from Moonee Ponds who would regularly threaten you with violence. So it has always been Essendon for me.

I wish you guys hated Hawthorn more. perhaps if we became successful again. I think the merger debacle made us more passionate than x flags in y years. Perhaps we were composed mainly of the 'back a winner' types. I have seen some hawks supporters get ugly at waverley - not a good look.

A recent poll had us the least hated. Is it because we achieved the greatest victory ever and 'stuck it up' the AFL ?

My pet hates

Crows are passionate but the closest to english soccer yobbos I've seen here

Smart mouthed nerdy types who keep up a constant barrage of inane reasons why their team is so good even though they had the choke of the century in recent years. They also only chant for their team when several goas in front (you know who you are)

Power fans are LOUD. Reserve judgement until they start being successful

I quite like collingwood, But Eddie McChins is too much. Let him realise the so-called potential of the collingwood army to the same extent as Hawthorn or Bulldogs have before he starts the sniping

I don't hate teams as much, it's more the supporters.
I know football is a religion to a lot of people (myself included), but too many people take it too personal.
Where were all the "ex" Lions supporters in 1997, they only started coming out of the woodwork last year when Brisbane made the finals.
Having said that, Brisbane is a farce, they get a couple (?) of million for taking (not merging) with Fitzroy and they are "still" getting $200k salary cap concessions. They are definately in bed with Wayne Jackson.

A note to the person who mentioned about Football park, yep, I'll never go there again, we were hissed at even though the Crows won. Just a note. a message in the ladies toilet read "parts of football park are made from Asbestos"! FIGURES!!!!

Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon were always traditionally working class clubs but now have many wealthy, educated and influential types. These clubs will always thrive. The poorest clubs, especially Richmond and St.kilda will continue to fall because of a lack of influential and wealthy types in the club. Most of there supporters seem to be 99% working class. You need a strong combination of both 'types' to be successful. On the other hand, Melbourne has too many rich types and not enough working class. They will also find it hard to keep up with the other big clubs.

what everyone has been talking about here is the tall poppy syndrome - wse only really hate those who are successful. However, i'm not suggesting that this is wrong...for as i've already stated...the club i hate the most (by far...) is Carlton.

one of the reasons for this (as has already been stated by a few)is the arrogance of the club and some of the supporters (yet matt....i'm generalising again....)

for instance, take jack elliott. His disgraceful effort after the semi final last year (rememeber that one!) where he stated that "essendon cheated back in 1993...they cheated, they stole our flag" was just pure arrogance - especially when you keep in mind that 12 clubs dobbed themselves in for cheating that year under the meretorium...and i'd bet anything that the blues were one of those clubs.

it's arrogance like this that makes me hate the blues....and that's what made the prelim last year so hard to take (if you're an essendon supporter...you'll know what i mean)

ah, well, i'm just looking forward to playing them in a few weeks......

------------------
2000: year of the bomber

I have a problem with the Bulldogs.
I am a teenage kid, and used to be a bulldog supporter when we lived in Melbourne. Now I follow rugby. We went to the Doggies vs Lions semi last year at the Gabba. Sat on the wing.
What I saw in front of me and what was reported at the tribunal was totally different.
I loved the doggies. Couldnt work out why Libba would gouge someones eye ( saw that to on the wing again ), but said oh well.
But stitching up someone, when what I saw was so unlike what was said. eg Mc rae never touched Romero.Left a real bad taste in the mouth. I felt cheated,my doggies were bad sports. I will never go back.
On the night we were beaten by a better side. Which was horrible, but what made it worse was our behaviour.
I play footy. I would never lie about something that happened on the field,, eg make stuff up.
I think the dggies need to get some integrety, and learn to play skillfully, not be a bunch of bullies who spit the dummy when they lose.My mates gave me heaps, it was so bad.

Too right there.

There are things you don't do on a field.

Gouging, groping, scratching.

And Libba does them all.

Staggy - yep, John Elliott is one of the worst men alive... I wish he was sent to jail like Bond was (except not released early on a technicality either).

We all know Elliott is a crook.

Matt

There is no doubt we all hate the supporters more than the clubs themselves ...... generally speaking. I'm not too fond of the Kangaroos at the moment, and it isn't becasue of their supporter base. They don't have one !

As for the guy above that said Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon are working class clubs, and Richmond will never be successful. I don't really know what you mean.

Essendon is a relatively rich suburb in North-West Melbourne, famous for Essendon grammar, and the private school culture. Combined with flair, and some toughness, these attributs have symbolized Essendon. Essendon have also ben a quiet club, always getting results without the arogance, and brashness of a Carlton and Collingwood. (Not the arrogance and Brashness are necessarily bad things). Essendon, for example are not known for buying premierships, or for loud out-spoken supporters (John Elliot, Eddie McGuire)

Richmond, have played in 22 Grand Finals, winning 10, and have generally been a successful club. There is no reason, why one day, with their massive following, they can't acheive the same lofty heights. With the exception of the last 16 or so years, Richmond has been a powerful, influential Victorian club.

Pesimistic, I can tell yu, I HATED Hawthorn in the late 80's, early 90's. I still despise them a bit, as I have a long memory. This was a team who would win, and win....... then win some more. Then, just whn you thought they wouldn't win any more........ they won again.

While a survey might have put the Hawks in the least hared category, in my book, as an Essendon supporter, the Hawks are near the top of the most hated list.

I think the Adelaide Crows are the most hated team in the AFL - the behaviour of their supporters is a total joke ! They abuse, assault, or otherwise intimidate opposition supporters, they will not applaud a good mark, a freakish goal or anything like that if the opposition team is doing it and after all that sort of crap they walk out on their own team if they are losing !
Other hates ?

Carltons arrogance and 'born to rule' mentality grates on lots of people, myself included
West Coast have the worst jumpers by miles
Saint Kilda has the worst club-ethos of any sporting group in Australia
And being a Swans supporter I really really hate the Kangaroos !!!!

The most successful clubs are the least popular and vice versa?

Well come on everyone, get down to Linton St Moorabbin and buy your membership. Better get in quick because we are almost sold out.

Seriously, where do you pull some of that crap from Bloodstained Angel?
We have the worst-club ethos of any sporting club in Australia? Would you mind elaborating on that a little.

For a team to be one of the foundation clubs of the VFL and have as little sucess as we have had and still to be functioning better financially than other Vic clubs is a testament to the loyalty of the supporters. Stupidity maybe, but we will always be out there, without Jacksons help unlike yourself.

Fortius Quo Fidelius

To follow on from what Dan and mk said before, you are right that we don't have many academic, business type high-profile supporters. Like Rohan Connolly wrote a few weeks ago, our supporters are usually the flamboyant types like Molly Meldrum, Michael Gudinski, Warney, etc. Is there a problem with that mk?

Most hated team --- How could I possible go past Adelaide? Time to reflect on 97 again

And yes, I know I am always blowing our trumpet but no one else here will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely Essendon for me for the following reasons:

1. They go to the football in herds (they
have so many supporters).

2. I live in the area, and everyone in my
street just about barracks for them.

3. They are sore losers, and find it very
hard to admit that the opposition was
the better team on the day.

That's correct.

There is no doubt, that Essendon have wide support in other areas. Most of their support comes from the North and western Suburbs. But being a successful club, the Bombers have heaps of supporters all over Melbourne and all over Australia.

I wouldn't say Essendon are sore losers.

Perhaps you are just thinking of the Preliminary final, and you are trying to define Essendon supporters after "THAT" game.

I will always tell you if we have been outplayed. As for that particualy game, though, I can honestly tell you, without being a sore loser, that, having had 9 more scoring shots and more of the play, I thought we were the better team. Which, I'll admit, makes the loss hard to bear. I mean, how would you feel ?

As for our other 4 losses in 1999, West Coast, Melbourne, St.Kilda, and Port Adelaide all played better than us and deserved ther victories.

Not that Carlton didn't play well. Well done to the Blues for putting up a courageous perfromance. But if you have 9 more scoring shots and lose, I think I am justified in saying that Essendon were the better team.

There have been times against the Blues when we were outplayed yet won the match. In 1998, only a Silvagni stuff up let in Essendon for a flukey win. And there was the Grand Final replay at Waverley in 1994, when we won 9.9.63 to Carlton 7.20.62. They should have murdered us, but we beat 'em by a point.

But it can work both ways. There are times in football, where the better team on the day can lose. Its unfortuante, but it happens.

It happened to Collingowwod in a few of their close losses in 1999. They were clearly better than the opposition on the day. For example, what about Collingwoods match at Football Park agaisnt Adelaide last year. Only a Jarman goal gave the Crows the win late in the game after the Pies had clearly been the better and more deserved team.

But SH1T happens

Dan24 do you even read your own posts???!!?!

In the post where you are going on about how much you hate Hawthorn you state: "Essendon have also ben a quiet club, always getting results without the arogance, and brashness of a Carlton and Collingwood." and "Essendon, for example are not known for buying premierships, or for loud out-spoken supporters" !!!!

Then in your post dated 21 March you state: "But if you have 9 more scoring shots and lose, I think I am justified in saying that Essendon were the better team." - sounds pretty arrogant to me.

At least I admit what I am is arrogant - and I'm proud of it too. I think it's about time you took off that eye-patch and had a good hard look at yourself to recognise what you really are. If you hate a team because of its success and arrogance - why would you support Essendon.

Personally I enjoy the successful teams, feel for the battlers, and don't really think too much of the mediocrity.

Ah Bluegirl,

You are obviously a passionate Carlton fan. One of a handful.

I stated that Essendon were the better team as nine more scoring shots indicated.

This has nothing to do with arrogance, I'm just calling it as I see it.

Let's suppose for a minute that Collingwood finished on top of the ladder in 1999 and lost the preliminary final to the Blues after having 9 more scoring shots. I'd be saying exactly the same thing. Most Carlton supporters would admit it.

I'm not necessarily making that comment in my capacity as an Essendon supporter, but as an observation as a football supporter. I honestly believe Essendon, despite NOT being at their best that day, were the better team. It doesn't mean much I know, becasue they lost.

This is not arrogance. Arrogance is to be over-bearing, presumptuous, and to claim unduly things. I don't think it is unduly to say that a team that scored 9 more times than their opponent (it could be any team, but it just happend to be Essendon) is a better team. I think that is quite reasonable.

Essendon isn't an arrogant club, generally. Any outlandish predictions usually come from the media. WE have a passionate and enthusiastic supporter base, and a top list breeds supporter confidence. Obviously if you're a top team, a little arrogance may show. Any top team has it. But it doesn't necessarily define a clubs culture like it does with Carlton.

There is more to define a club culture than just one season, or one group of players. Essendon generally get the job done with little fanfare or controversy (salary cap aside). Not many coaching changes in our history, and not being a vocal club in politics had led Essendon to be the quiet acheivers. A club like Carlton however is a different story. Always a loud, brash, pompous club, their involvement in politics (remember 1980), and money has created a successful culture.

But it comes at a price. People dislike Carlton immensely. While people dislike Essendon, it is different. People hate the Bombers becasue of their huge support, and success. Essendon is a popular club to barrack for.

But Carlton is not a popular club to barrack for. They have large support yes, but they should have more. Did you know Carlton rank only 3rd in support in Victoria ? Possibly 4th behind Richmond.

They should be number 1 or 2. But they're not

Why ?

Tey've won 16 flags, and won over 60% of their games, but they can only rank 3rd (possibly 4th) in Victoria. Carlton have an arrogance, and a culture which many people choose not to associate with. They have a corporate image, and are seen as bully's.

The fact that they don't have support that is relative to their success must be frustrating for Carlton people. Especialy when a popular club like Richmond who has won 10 flags outdraws them in support. Carlton should have either the most or second most amounts of supporters.

Essendon also are not known for pinching players from other clubs to get success. Carlton are, and that is nothing to be proud of. This latest TV rights writ is just more typical Carlton at their best. Rather than just getting the job done, they've got be in the news.

And I can't waut to play them in Round 5. I can't wait.

Dan,

Jealousy is a curse, isn't it?

In fact North currently have a membership of 21,000 (official figures as at 21/3), we're striving for 25,000, but we'll never beat Essendon who are currently at 31,000.

And I will not be held responsible for my fellow members not turning up to matches, I turn up every week, to all the reserves matches as well. I'm curious as to how many others attend all AFL/VFL matches?

For the record, I used to have a soft spot for Essendon, their supporters made me change my mind.

Dan24

The '99 Preliminary Final. Okay, while Essendon had 9 more scoring shots than Carlton, it can be argued that Carlton won 3 out of the 4 quarters and so, therefore won the game on MERIT rather than LUCK. Apart from a 15 minute patch in the third quarter, the Blues either broke even or outplayed Essendon.

Geeze....if other Essendon fans can accept that Carlton were a better team than Essendon on the day, why can't you?

Cheers

Dan24

Essendon supporters are a gross annoyance for most of us.

At games against essendon I move several times because the inane nerdy comments which stream endlessly from your mouths (a bit like your comments here - do you provide a commentary to those around you at the football ?)
Most other fans only comment when passion gets the better of them.

Thanks Gonzo!
Just trying to fly the sainters flag a little

When we have a few wins (and thats a big "IF" on current form), I'm sure you will all have to stop me from going overboard.

But at the moment, I'm as cynical as ever.

And Dan24, I have always been under the impression that bad kicking is bad football. Merely getting more possessions and having more shots does not neccessarily mean you have played better. In my book all it means is that you have had more of the ball and been far more wasteful.

God help me, I think I am defending Carlton!

Look, Carlton won fair and square, end of story.

It wasn't as if there was an umpiring decision or anything which helped them over the line.

However, despite this, there is obviously a lot of luck if you have 9 less shots than your opponrent and sneak over the line.

Essendon kicked 14.23 in the 1984 Grand Final, and won by 4 goals. That was MORE innacurate than the 1999 preliminary final.

Forget the fact that Carlton won 3 of the 4 quarters. The only score that counts is the last score. After 100 minutes of football, Essendon had 33 shots to Carltons 24.

I mean, if you wanted to, you could break down the game into 10 minut spurts and I could claim that Essendon won the majority of those. Essendon at the ned of the match had many, many more opportunities than the Blues, and we only have oursleves to blame. I admit that.

Yet, despite all the bad kicking, and poor play, Essendon shold still have won the match even taking into account all those factors. I thought the Bombers were very unlucky. And I am saying that as a football supporter TRYING to take an unbiased look at this.

But it's history. I think Blues fans need to get over it. If it wasn't for people who force me to correct them, I'd have stopped talking about it.

It was still a hard loss, and no one said I have to like it.

I thought Melbourne deserved to win the 1987 preliminary final agaisnt Hawthorn, and I don't barrack for either team. Does this mean I am biased towrads Melbourne ? No, of course not.

I am just calling it how I see it, and a 1 point win, when you have 9 more scoring shots is a lucky win. I don't care who the teams are.

Just correcting that last line I wrote. It should read :

A 1 poit win when you have 9 LESS scoring shots is a lucky win. I don't care who the teams are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back