Most overrated team of the modern era.

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond win this thread easily. Year after year after year, same old crap different season.

Outside of Richmond supporters, who actually rates Richmond? Even this week we have people writing Richmond off and saying they can't make the finals.

Richmond in recent years springs to mind.

We play them next week and I'm seriously backing us in, albeit in a close one. They just don't recruit well enough to improve. They don't chase big names in the off-season nor make the strides necessary to push for a flag.

No we recruit value for money players like Taylor Hunt and Anthony Miles. Both are playing for rookie wages while the Dogs throw $1,000,000 a year at Tom Boyd.

Richmond in recent years springs to mind.

We play them next week and I'm seriously backing us in, albeit in a close one. They just don't recruit well enough to improve. They don't chase big names in the off-season nor make the strides necessary to push for a flag.

Recruiting? Bad?... Unless you go back 6 or so years to Fiora, Tambling, JON then it has been very good of late. We've got talls in the VFL that would be a walk up start at your mob.

Chase big names?... No we don't pay a million dollars a year for an overrated unproven forward that isn't presently worth a third of that.

Put your house on the dogs next week, then you can buy a kennel and move in.

So do I just list any team that got knocked out in the 2nd week of finals or prelim for 2 or 3 years in a row?

I've thought North to be overrated all off season. The Prelim was an overachievement and the public get ahead of themselves.
Round 1 is a bit early to claim I'm right but they remind me of Richmond after the 2001 season.
The Tigers made a prelim even though they weren't that good and Danny Frawley thought a few top ups would make a difference.
Eerily similar.

This. There is not a snowflake's chance in hell this side becomes a premiership side. Nowhere bloody near it.

Sure - they finished top four after finals last year, but only after two other teams fell all over themselves to lose to them in finals and gift them a prelim.

They are a 6-8 team at best and this will become more and more apparent in the coming weeks. Adelaide kicked off the rot yesterday.

When a club salutes on Grand Final day they are usually expected to be a legitimate Premiership contender for years after. People take a look at a clubs list, see several Premiership heroes still there, and assume that there is no reason they can't do it again. Retirements of lower profile ( but still vital ) plyers, ageing lists, injuries, unproven and underdeveloped younger players, changing game styles, improvement from opposition teams etc.. are often overlooked. For example, Hawthorn in 2009/10 finished a disappointing 9th and 7th and were considered to have grossly under performed. Franklin,Roughhead,Lewis,Hodge,Mitchell,Rioli and Sewell were still there, why were they so far of it? Well after 2008 Crawford,Dew,Croad,Young,Gilham, Campbell,Osborne and Guerra either didn't play again or were constantly injured. The younger players that replaced them were incapable of stepping up to the mark and the likes of Geelong and STKilda had steamed past. Under these circumstances the Hawks were being grossly overrated. Collingwood after 2011 is another example. Pendles,Swan,Beams,Cloke, Reid,Sidebottom, all there but important role players Brown,Jolly,Davis,Didak,Dawes,Thomas,nBrown and Wellingham either gone or struck down with injury. Add to this the reduced output of Aging warriors Ball and Maxwell and it is clear that the heat that Buckley has copped over the failure of the Pies to be a contender since taking over is completely misplaced. It has been unfair to expect them to reach 2010/11 heights but because so many people have, they have been overrated. Happens in all sports.

Hawthorn between 2009-2012.

Oh, the irony.:rolleyes:

Have a look in your own backyard there champ. Under the leadership of Ross the Fraud every halfwit commentator and footy fan has been bigging you guys up. The fact is that despite the hype, you have won nothing and will continue to win nothing.

Oh, the irony.:rolleyes:

Have a look in your own backyard there champ. Under the leadership of Ross the Fraud every halfwit commentator and footy fan has been bigging you guys up. The fact is that despite the hype, you have won nothing and will continue to win nothing.
I don't think you know irony.

You were talked up as a premiership threat from outside the top four in 2010, and lost your first final easily. Every year you were spoken of as some juggernaut, and continued to be nowhere near it

I don't think you know irony.

You were talked up as a premiership threat from outside the top four in 2010, and lost your first final easily. Every year you were spoken of as some juggernaut, and continued to be nowhere near it
Rubbish. Were second fave in 2009 and further down in 2010 and 2011. Faves in 2013 and 2014 only and duly saluted. You need to let 2013 go mate.

Rubbish. Were second fave in 2009 and further down in 2010 and 2011. Faves in 2013 and 2014 only and duly saluted. You need to let 2013 go mate.
Nothing to do with 2013. Hawthorn were spoken of as equals to Geelong during their era despite never competing on their level consistently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong won the 09 and 011 flags and beat Hawthorn 10 consecutive times during the period you speak of. At that stage only the most one eyed Hawk fans considered their team to be on Geelongs level.

This. There is not a snowflake's chance in hell this side becomes a premiership side. Nowhere bloody near it.

Sure - they finished top four after finals last year, but only after two other teams fell all over themselves to lose to them in finals and gift them a prelim.

They are a 6-8 team at best and this will become more and more apparent in the coming weeks. Adelaide kicked off the rot yesterday.

I agree.
I was having this conversation yesterday with dad before the Crows/North game. He basically had them earmarked as certainties to beat Adelaide and make the top 4. I said that I think that North are being overrated, they will finish in the lower half of the 8 and that Adelaide would make easy work of them. They are a workhorse side but they don't have the talent (imo) to be able to win a flag.

Geelong 2012 - 2015 onwards

How so? People have been saying we'll drop down the ladder for years, yet we still find ourselves in the top 8 despite losing the likes of Ottens, Scarlett, Ling, Chapman and Corey during that time.

How so? People have been saying we'll drop down the ladder for years, yet we still find ourselves in the top 8 despite losing the likes of Ottens, Scarlett, Ling, Chapman and Corey during that time.
Exactly, I'm not sure that some people know what overrated actually means.
You could say Geelong have been underrated in recent years.

Richmond have always been a hunted team.No matter how bad teams travel,when Richmond comes up on the fixture,they prepare like a grand fjnal.Its up to our club to hunt back.

Care to elaborate on why you believe sides prepare more strongly for Richmond?

Remove this Banner Ad

Most overrated team of the modern era.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back