Most overrated team of the modern era.

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond have always been a hunted team.No matter how bad teams travel,when Richmond comes up on the fixture,they prepare like a grand fjnal.Its up to our club to hunt back.

So you're telling me that in recent years, teams make a special effort when playing RICHMOND that isn't present when they've played Hawthorn, or Sydney, or Fremantle, or Collingwood, or Geelong?

Riiiiiiiight....

And the GF itself was a cracker, one of my favourites as a neutral.

I reckon Collingwood were a shade off the other 3 that year and their record in the QF/PF supports this, but it was a strong season.
We went Into the final round above the Dogs on the ladder and we were only ten points down at half time in the prelim and were playing competitive football right up to that point. The gap between the top three and us tendd to have been exaggerated by some poorly timed injuries that meant we went into the finals with a team of kids.

That said, no denyong the finishing order is probably reflective of the teams. Just don't think the gap was as big as everyone makes out.

I don't think you know irony.

You were talked up as a premiership threat from outside the top four in 2010, and lost your first final easily. Every year you were spoken of as some juggernaut, and continued to be nowhere near it

Sounds a lot like the Purple Pretenders.:rolleyes:

Sounds a lot like the Purple Pretenders.:rolleyes:
Your own coach, after finishing seventh in 2010 and losing in the first round of finals, said that the rest of the finalists would be happy Hawthorn were out of it. That's right, after finishing seventh and not beating a team in the top four all year, all of the top four were glad not to have Hawthorn around.

Laughable.

Your own coach, after finishing seventh in 2010 and losing in the first round of finals, said that the rest of the finalists would be happy Hawthorn were out of it. That's right, after finishing seventh and not beating a team in the top four all year, all of the top four were glad not to have Hawthorn around.

Laughable.

Pffft.

Fremantle still has zero premierships despite being talked up as some sort of world-beating defensive monster for the past 4-5 years.

Keep deflecting though mate, your club are the biggest frauds in the business.

Pffft.

Fremantle still has zero premierships despite being talked up as some sort of world-beating defensive monster for the past 4-5 years.

Keep deflecting though mate, your club are the biggest frauds in the business.
What am I deflecting? The question was 'most overrated team of the modern era' and my answer is Hawthorn after 2008. They were overrated by their own coach.

What am I deflecting? The question was 'most overrated team of the modern era' and my answer is Hawthorn after 2008. They were overrated by their own coach.

Since 2008, this "most overrated team of the modern era" has won 3 out of the 7 premierships on offer.

In contrast, your side has won precisely nothing, despite being talked up (ergo rated) for the past 4-5 seasons.

Do you actually understand the meaning of "overrated?"

Since 2008, this "most overrated team of the modern era" has won 3 out of the 7 premierships on offer.

In contrast, your side has won precisely nothing, despite being talked up (ergo rated) for the past 4-5 seasons.

Do you actually understand the meaning of "overrated?"
I bracketed that year range in my original post. Obviously you weren't overrated post 2011. Read my post again.

Hawthorn between 2009-2012.

I bracketed that year range in my original post. Obviously you weren't overrated post 2011. Read my post again.

And Fremantle have been bigged up by all and sundry on the back of pretend coaching superman Ross The Fraud for the past 3 years and then under the previous regime for at least couple of seasons before that. So if you want to discuss the most overrated team of the modern era you simply need to do some basic arithmetic. Fremantle have been expected to win a flag for the past 5 years. It is patently obvious to even the most simple amongst us that they have been grossly overrated for a very long time.

And Fremantle have been bigged up by all and sundry on the back of pretend coaching superman Ross The Fraud for the past 3 years and then under the previous regime for at least couple of seasons before that. So if you want to discuss the most overrated team of the modern era you simply need to do some basic arithmetic. Fremantle have been expected to win a flag for the past 5 years. It is patently obvious to even the most simple amongst us that they have been grossly overrated for a very long time.
In bold is hyperbole. All and sundry? Your own coach rated you as a premiership threat in 2010 when you finished seventh. If that's not overrating a side, tell me what is.

Port Adelaide of the 2002 - 2005 would be most under rated, if it wasnt for coming up against the mighty Brisbane team tgey would have won 3 flags.

The Essendon 2000 team was rubbish, Midfield of Jason Johnson, Mark Johnson, Peverill,, Misiti and Mercuri somehow won a flag.

Don't know how Richmond could be overrated… When we were ever rated? I think there was 'expectation' for us to perform since we were such a big club but I'm pretty sure we were never rated.. just shit..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port Adelaide of the 2002 - 2005 would be most under rated, if it wasnt for coming up against the mighty Brisbane team tgey would have won 3 flags.

The Essendon 2000 team was rubbish, Midfield of Jason Johnson, Mark Johnson, Peverill,, Misiti and Mercuri somehow won a flag.

Or coming up against the not so mighty Collingwood team of 2002/03. It wasn't just Brisbane that beat up on Port in the finals. Collingwood, Sydney, Hawthorn and even Adelaide all made a mess of them.

Or coming up against the not so mighty Collingwood team of 2002/03. It wasn't just Brisbane that beat up on Port in the finals. Collingwood, Sydney, Hawthorn and even Adelaide all made a mess of them.

Hawthorn beat us by 3 points in 01.

What was King saying?

He got the margin spot on just the wrong team :p

Given how devastated he look in the Fox post game poor bastard must of put shitload on us :$

We can't control it but i would have to nominate my club in 2014 talks of being unbeatable and "super" team by the media after the Geelong win was the most cringeworthy stuff i have ever heard.

During that period Sydney couldn't beat Adelaide.
There's a difference between couldn't and didn't. We also struggled against the saints in that era before beating them away as underdogs in the prelim. Adelaide would have been no certainties against us in a final.

Don't know how Richmond could be overrated… When we were ever rated? I think there was 'expectation' for us to perform since we were such a big club but I'm pretty sure we were never rated.. just shit..

This seems to be a universally misunderstood concept on Bigfooty where people conflate coverage and discussion with who/what is actually rated. Ie. people constantly crying that Enright or Nathan Jones are under rated. Ask anyone who follows football and you'll find they're rated.

If there's a large consensus on someone/thing being over/underrated then they're not, because there's a consensus, so by definition most people rate them accordingly.

A team ahead of their time. Featuring players that could play multiple positions across the ground, were super fast by foot and were very dynamic, much like Geelong of the modern era.

Misiti and Jason Johnson were great midfielders in 2000. The entire team were so hard at the ball. Incredible looking back at the footage.

If by rubbish you mean one of the all time great teams. The midfield of that team was extended by the defensive unit of Hardwick, Wellman, Barnard, Rama and Solomon, even the forwards of that team played good midfield roles, Lloyd, Lucas, Caracella, Moorcroft, Long.

The team only lasted 3 great seasons though. 99, 00 and 01. Needed to win 2001 to stamp their mark. They failed to win on their home ground against a decent Brisbane side. After three years of great football, should have won it, no excuses.

They still hold the scoring record for highest score in any finals game, against North in 2000.

No we recruit value for money players like Taylor Hunt and Anthony Miles. Both are playing for rookie wages while the Dogs throw $1,000,000 a year at Tom Boyd.

That isn't going to help you push for a flag. You needed to chase a Frawley or Clarke, and this year a Dangerfield. Buying reject players won't work for anybody. Just ask Carlton who bought 2 of our reserve players.

So did you over rate us and change your mind I still fail to see where or when we have been over rated, werent we the worse team since Fitzroy?
So tell me if we beat you next week will that make the doggies the most overrated, after all 3 prelims in a row with more praise than premierships then last year when you were given huge raps pre season only to fail dismally?

You're an overrated mob who will most likely finish 6-7 but will never beat a top 4 team. The Dogs aren't overrated because nobody rates them. Almost everybody who follows AFL says we have a bright future with our young list, more that can be said about the Tiggies who will miss their chance to push for a flag because they don't have the balls to chase big name players.

Chase big names?... No we don't pay a million dollars a year for an overrated unproven forward that isn't presently worth a third of that.

Maybe you should. It would actually show the rest of the AFL that your club has a bit of ticker.

That isn't going to help you push for a flag. You needed to chase a Frawley or Clarke, and this year a Dangerfield. Buying reject players won't work for anybody. Just ask Carlton who bought 2 of our reserve players.

You're an overrated mob who will most likely finish 6-7 but will never beat a top 4 team. The Dogs aren't overrated because nobody rates them. Almost everybody who follows AFL says we have a bright future with our young list, more that can be said about the Tiggies who will miss their chance to push for a flag because they don't have the balls to chase big name players.

Maybe you should. It would actually show the rest of the AFL that your club has a bit of ticker.
Are you on the sauce, you've just said we never beat any top 4 side but somehow we are over rated, then you follow up by saying nobody over rates the Dogs and straght away say that everyone thinks you have a bright future, if last year is anything to go by they are over rating you:rolleyes:
Tell me what big name player did you get, you lost a Brownlow medalist and picked up a kid that has done nothing yet and may or may not turn out to be a big name player, but is definately not as yet and you are paying him a cool million a year.

Last edited:
Are you a little simple youve just said we never beat any top 4 side but somehow we are over rated then you follow up by saying nobody over rates the Dogs and straght awayyou say that everyone says you have a bright future if last year is anything to go by they are over rating you:rolleyes:

How does people saying we have a bright future mean we are overrated?

Are you a little simple? That clearly means in kinder terms, Bulldogs are shit right now but will be something in years to come. That is not being overrated.

Are you a little simple youve just said we never beat any top 4 side but somehow we are over rated then you follow up by saying nobody over rates the Dogs and straght awayyou say that everyone says you have a bright future if last year is anything to go by they are over rating you:rolleyes:
The Tigers will never win a flag with blokes like Deledio on their list

Remove this Banner Ad

Most overrated team of the modern era.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back