Roast Move on Geelong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah, fish's just voicing his opinion, which is fair enough.

Just looks as though most of us disagree.

Based on the article in the age. Especially the comment by Costa that he probably wouldn't be welcome back to the club for at least 6 years!! WTF?

Some may say THEY'VE moved on but actions speak louder than words.

Also if Thompson really was sure about going he wouldn't have ummed and ahhed like he did once the position became available. I'd bet my house that Tim Watson just told him about the frustrations that Jobe had under Knights and also some of the white anting being done by the Diamond Dons. Would have told him to consider it.

Thompson was burnt out and an opportunity came up to earn similar money for less hours closer to home. It also coincided at a time where Geelong needed a change in direction. Geelong people should have congratulated him at the time for making the tough decision which was a win for all people. Rather then the carry on and demanding a meeting with Evans and all that.

Costa, Cook and Balme could have had a positive influence on public opinion. Fact is they were probably expecting the Ablett and Thompson departure to combine with the aging of the list and Collingwood surpasing them and bring about a disastrously quick decline. They let their fears get in the way of clear thinking and Thompson is paying the price for that.

Nah, fish's just voicing his opinion, which is fair enough.

Just looks as though most of us disagree.
and its the essendon board that started this thread???
seriouslly if any club lost thompson the way geelong did there would be bitter supporters out there, its life and everyone has differnt opinion.

and its the essendon board that started this thread???
seriouslly if any club lost thompson the way geelong did there would be bitter supporters out there, its life and everyone has differnt opinion.

See I understand that. However, if Costa, Cook and Balme were publically more understanding and supportive of his decision then it would be a little different. In this day and age people forget that leaders can set agendas.

Surely most Essendon supporters can understand why us Geelong supporters were so aggreived when it all happened last year? The whole saga started when Caroline Wilson wrote a story suggesting Thompson would be at the Bombers this season. It was the first Costa, Cook and Balme had heard of it, so they approached Bomber who told them he was burnt out. That was the beginning of the end - within a month he had left Geelong and joined Essendon. It was a pretty dishonest act, especially if he had been talking to/negotiating with Essendon since mid-season as has since been claimed. Bomber has since publicly said that he all knew all last year it would be his final year coaching Geelong (despite being contracted for 2011). From a Geelong perspective, he could have privately informed the club much earlier in the season - and allowed them to sort out the processes involved in replacing him - instead of leaving us in the lurch in October, desperate to appoint a new coach by November in time for the draft and pre-season.

Regardless, I don't begrudge him for going. There's no way we would be 13-0 if he was still coaching Geelong. Chris Scott is already incredibly popular with our players and supporters and you guys are clearly happy with Hird and Thompson - so it's a non issue as far as I am concerned.

FWIW - it was pretty apparent towards the end of last season that something was up with Bomber. Leading into the 2010 finals - with Collingwood as clear premiership favourites, having defeated us late in the season - Bomber said that Collingwood were 'jealous' of our success and that deep down Geelong knew it was still the 'best.' It generated plenty of headlines and disappointed Geelong supporters because it was so out of character for him. You may recall the previous year, Malthouse tried to put us off our game by writing an article saying that we would be underachievers if we didn't win the 2009 flag. Bomber kept a dignified silence and we ultimately let our football do the talking. Last year, unfortunately it was Malthouse with the dignified silence and Collingwood's football did the talking.

Who gives a rats tossbag? Either way, I can't see us winning, if Geelong really cares about losing Thompson to us we'll just lose by more.

You could say I've become accustomed to losing rather quickly.

Who gives a rats tossbag? Either way, I can't see us winning, if Geelong really cares about losing Thompson to us we'll just lose by more.

You could say I've become accustomed to losing rather quickly.

You could say you have a repugnant defeatist atitude while you're at it. Reminds me a bit of fish oil.

Just a short note about the way in which Bomber departed Geelong.

Football is a business these days, for better or worse. Of course he conducted discussions with Essendon in secret, he would have been a fool not to. Loyalty and respect are of course paramount in these coach/club relationships but Bomber had to protect his own interests at the same time, you can't do that by being completely up-front and honest with both the club and the media. As with GaryJr, there is no evidence (despite everyone having their own opinions on the matter) to suggest that Bomber made a decision to go to EFC before Geelong's season had come to an end.

I agree that all parties should move on but after posting in this thread last night and then picking up the broadsheet this morning only to find another interview with one F. Costa, I seriously doubt this will ever happen.

Geelong borrowed Bomba for 11 years, it was always a contingent risk he would return to Napier St. which many Cats do not have the depth of thinking to comprehend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong borrowed Bomba for 11 years, it was always a contingent risk he would return to Napier St. which many Cats do not have the depth of thinking to comprehend.

It takes some energy to respond to this, given how little I - or 99% of GFC supporters - care about this. Over it. But ...

1. The bitterness does indeed come from one F. Costa who, along with Cook, probably have some justification for feeling like they stood by Bomber in 2006 when a sacking was being howled for. And I don't think you can get more understanding than the press conference in late 2010 when it seemed like Bomber had depression and the club was willing for him to have a holiday.

2. I think we all understand footy is a business, but Costa and Cook were always very public about Bomber's tenure being pretty much a handshake agreement - all he had to say was he wanted to go and a graceful exit would be arranged. After ten years, Bomber handled himself less than perfectly making a messy and sad exit possible.

That doesn't mean GFC fans care about the issue beyond wanting to point out that there is little, if any, anger now about it from the fans towards Bomber. I think we feel that Essendon handled themselves in a manner which discredits the club - but that doesn't reflect on Essendon fans either.

Good luck for the game.

2. I think we all understand footy is a business, but Costa and Cook were always very public about Bomber's tenure being pretty much a handshake agreement - all he had to say was he wanted to go and a graceful exit would be arranged. After ten years, Bomber handled himself less than perfectly making a messy and sad exit possible.

Good luck for the game.

Good points- let me add though, Costa poring over phone records and publicly declaring alleged coaching dialogue between Thompson and EFC is poor form, and unsavoury. All he had to say was we consider that Bomber made up his mind a lot earlier and it could have been discussed in-house.

As for the game- need all the luck we can get, and some consistent men in white.

Without delving very far into recent posts, I can say that Thompson's departure doesn't bother me in the slightest from a fan point of view.

From a business point of view, I'd be very nervous dealing with him though. None of us know what was discussed at board level or even socially between Thompson, Cook and Costa with regards to his contract. Logic would suggest that Thompson not only broke his contract but his word too. This really highlights the sought of person Thompson is morally more than anything. Some people value this higher than others... Costa's background is hardly that of a clean skin either though, no one can dispute that. You can't blame for Costa having a poke at the guy though.

I'd imagine after this weeks game, all this BS will be forgotten about anyway. Lets hope for a good clean contest on Saturday w/no injuries. :thumbsu:

Without delving very far into recent posts, I can say that Thompson's departure doesn't bother me in the slightest from a fan point of view.

From a business point of view, I'd be very nervous dealing with him though. None of us know what was discussed at board level or even socially between Thompson, Cook and Costa with regards to his contract. Logic would suggest that Thompson not only broke his contract but his word too. This really highlights the sought of person Thompson is morally more than anything. Some people value this higher than others... Costa's background is hardly that of a clean skin either though, no one can dispute that. You can't blame for Costa having a poke at the guy though.

I'd imagine after this weeks game, all this BS will be forgotten about anyway. Lets hope for a good clean contest on Saturday w/no injuries. :thumbsu:

You are misguided about the morality of the saga- unless you know who made the initial approach about Bomber joining EFC I suggest you steer clear.

You are misguided about the morality of the saga- unless you know who made the initial approach about Bomber joining EFC I suggest you steer clear.

Thompson was contracted to coach Geelong until the end of 2011, the media were biting at his heels for the last 3rd of the 2010 season about a move to the Bombers, which he continually denied interest. He then waited until the end of season and walked out. This is morally acceptable how??

Are you saying Thompson approached the Bombers first? :D I think it's been confirmed by many that Essendon went on a head hunting expedition in the latter part of 2010 when they identified Kinghts as a problem, not to mention the playing group.

If you start with the assumption that your guy is right, the logic would suggest the other guy did a bad thing, issue is none of us really know so we're all just relying on assumption.

One would suggest Costa's grandstanding about our supposed 'poaching' of McCartney, 5 minutes before the Cats had tried to poach a Collingwood contracted assistant, then complete retraction of any suggestion of wrong doing, would suggest he's just as prone to what is now termed "hypocrisy" (and would previously have been known as "changing your mind") as anyone else.

Thompson was contracted to coach Geelong until the end of 2011, the media were biting at his heels for the last 3rd of the 2010 season about a move to the Bombers, which he continually denied interest. He then waited until the end of season and walked out. This is morally acceptable how??

Are you saying Thompson approached the Bombers first? :D I think it's been confirmed by many that Essendon went on a head hunting expedition in the latter part of 2010 when they identified Kinghts as a problem, not to mention the playing group.

You hit the nail on the head Patrick but you still disappoint- The Dons went head hunting when Knights unravelled, and Bomba responded to the phone calls but gave no committment, and the press were restless. Nothing morally bankrupt about that. He had a contract with the Cats no doubt, but when young Gary wouldn't commit and the old cats ignored his changes to the game plan, the old number 28 from the best and most feared side of the modern era said 11 years might just be enough at sleepy hollow. Bomba has a break, stitches up his land deal, and the allure of Windy Hill with Hird in charge, and a lesser, but important sidekick role on offer becomes irresistible.

Probable, possible, plausibe; the fact remains Thompsons' morality and ethics reamin intact.

It's no secret that Bomber loves the cash and tried to orchestrate a payout of his contract with the Cats even though he knew he was off to Essendon. This abject greed and lack of moral fibre is what still rankles with the football club's administration... and rightly so.

The Cats supporters are very happy with Chris Scott and all that he has brought to the club. His fresh ideas and enthusiasm has revitalised the older bodies and tweaked a stale game plan that had run its course.

Bomber in time, will be remembered as one of the great Geelong coaches. The irony is that it seems Bomber was telling the truth to some degree and does show signs of burn out.

It's no secret that Bomber loves the cash and tried to orchestrate a payout of his contract with the Cats even though he knew he was off to Essendon. This abject greed and lack of moral fibre is what still rankles with the football club's administration... and rightly so.

The Cats supporters are very happy with Chris Scott and all that he has brought to the club. His fresh ideas and enthusiasm has revitalised the older bodies and tweaked a stale game plan that had run its course.

Bomber in time, will be remembered as one of the great Geelong coaches. The irony is that it seems Bomber was telling the truth to some degree and does show signs of burn out.

You would go well at poker.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Move on Geelong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back