Roast Move on Geelong.

Remove this Banner Ad

You hit the nail on the head Patrick but you still disappoint- The Dons went head hunting when Knights unravelled, and Bomba responded to the phone calls but gave no committment, and the press were restless. Nothing morally bankrupt about that. He had a contract with the Cats no doubt, but when young Gary wouldn't commit and the old cats ignored his changes to the game plan, the old number 28 from the best and most feared side of the modern era said 11 years might just be enough at sleepy hollow. Bomba has a break, stitches up his land deal, and the allure of Windy Hill with Hird in charge, and a lesser, but important sidekick role on offer becomes irresistible.

Probable, possible, plausibe; the fact remains Thompsons' morality and ethics reamin intact.

Stander, I hope that is a typo. When did Bomber wear number 28?

You hit the nail on the head Patrick but you still disappoint- The Dons went head hunting when Knights unravelled, and Bomba responded to the phone calls but gave no committment, and the press were restless. Nothing morally bankrupt about that. He had a contract with the Cats no doubt, but when young Gary wouldn't commit and the old cats ignored his changes to the game plan, the old number 28 from the best and most feared side of the modern era said 11 years might just be enough at sleepy hollow. Bomba has a break, stitches up his land deal, and the allure of Windy Hill with Hird in charge, and a lesser, but important sidekick role on offer becomes irresistible.

Probable, possible, plausibe; the fact remains Thompsons' morality and ethics reamin intact.

Nice try stander but you have this completely wrong. Thompson indicated to Essendon in July that his time at the Cats was up, why?, because with Costa retiring he couldn't see a future there - as he and Cook don't get along. All the other events you mention happened after he had reached the decision to leave , they weren't the catalyst for him to leave as you describe.
I'm grateful for what Bomber did when he was at the Cats but facts are facts and the manner of his departure was ordinary at best.

I look forward to Geelong toying with us on the weekend

Maybe it will make some of our players realise how hard you have to ******* Work to be the best.

Well clearly we have the dumbest footballers in the land if they haven't worked out how to play team footy by now.

All this chest beating about "oh well, we're glad his gone" is hindsight bullshit and bravado at its best.

If Chris Scott was a flop and had you guys 6-7 now or something, what would your thoughts on the lack of Bomber coaching be?

[/b]

Nice try stander but you have this completely wrong. Thompson indicated to Essendon in July that his time at the Cats was up, why?, because with Costa retiring he couldn't see a future there - as he and Cook don't get along. All the other events you mention happened after he had reached the decision to leave , they weren't the catalyst for him to leave as you describe.
I'm grateful for what Bomber did when he was at the Cats but facts are facts and the manner of his departure was ordinary at best.

Well Polly, you're at odds with your mate Patrick who reckons it was common knowledge the Dons went headhunting, you Cats should get together some time and compare notes. What exactly do you mean by "indicated to Eessendon". Unless you have some sort of authority under the Telecommunciations Act 1997 to listen in on phone calls, I would suggest you are simply formulating supposition. To label bomber as ethically/morally bankrupt on the back of supposition is nothing more than spite.

Well Polly, you're at odds with your mate Patrick who reckons it was common knowledge the Dons went headhunting, you Cats should get together some time and compare notes. What exactly do you mean by "indicated to Eessendon". Unless you have some sort of authority under the Telecommunciations Act 1997 to listen in on phone calls, I would suggest you are simply formulating supposition. To label bomber as ethically/morally bankrupt on the back of supposition is nothing more than spite.
No supposition involved at all- hypothetically speaking if an old school mate of mine was involved in the process and chose to share some things then it wouldn't be supposition would it? Essendon may well have made the approach but Bombers reasons and motivation and the timing are not in dispute.

It's no secret that Bomber loves the cash and tried to orchestrate a payout of his contract with the Cats even though he knew he was off to Essendon. This abject greed and lack of moral fibre is what still rankles with the football club's administration... and rightly so.
He's on less money at Essendon. Despite Hutchy or Barrett saying $1M (funny how it's a nice round number?), it's wrong.
There's some people who have fair criticisms then there's those who fit facts to the theories. You're in the latter category IMHO.
There's no "evidence" of anything bar old mates speaking to each other in July etc; and Cats players treating him poorly (Ablett keeping him in the dark & Bartel et al ignoring his proposed changes).

I still think he was undecided up until later in the year, but I don't know.
Based on rumours I heard, which is patchy at best but seems to be as good as gold around here, there was 3 or 4 big names mentioned as either senior or senior assistant: he wasn't one until very late in the piece.

The irony is that it seems Bomber was telling the truth to some degree and does show signs of burn out.

How have you come to this conclusion? As an Essendon supporter, with a keen eye upon the club in general, to me it seems that coming to Essendon has had a similar effect on Bomber as to what Scott has had on the Cats. He's been revitalised to a degree.

The Cats supporters are very happy with Chris Scott and all that he has brought to the club. His fresh ideas and enthusiasm has revitalised the older bodies and tweaked a stale game plan that had run its course.
Why didn't bomber think of that?
Oh yeah, that's right, he did...

@ Geelong. Players wouldn't follow coach. Coach left.
New young, co-operative coach installed.
1st year, played all the same blokes, same spots, will probably make the grand final but I think you'll lose it.
Feel free to revisit in 2-3 years, but that's exactly the same story of Ayres' first year.

Yet you came on our board to discuss it.:confused:

Yeah, fair point. Kindofa 'damned if you do' thing. Saw the thread title on the main page and thought, "Seriously? Do they really think we care about this?"

The contradiction in taking the time to say GFC fans don't really have the time to think about this is not lost on me. ;)

For the fans, our continued success has probably made it easier to move on. Got no problem admitting that.

There'll be booing at some point on Saturday but I suspect it will be half-hearted, lacking any vitriol and almost playful. No doubt that will cause some to fire up about how disgraceful all Geelong supporters are.

The beat goes on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

[/B]

And you don't have any in your post. Thompson indicated to Essendon that he would come over in July? Where the **** do you get that from? Phone records? All you really have to go on is Thompson's behaviour. He was clearly erratic in his behaviour which is the first sign that he was highly stressed. To me that was a sign that he was completely burnt out.

Essendon knew this, obviously through his close friendship with the father of the club captain, and took advantage of it. They offered a great way out for a favourite son of the club.

Also Thompson did not break a contract. Everyone knows that he had an out clause and he took it. That is not breaking the contract.

If he was absolutely definite that he was coming to Essendon he would have come over earlier to be part of the trade, draft and list management meetings.

Yeah, fair point. Kindofa 'damned if you do' thing. Saw the thread title on the main page and thought, "Seriously? Do they really think we care about this?"

The contradiction in taking the time to say GFC fans don't really have the time to think about this is not lost on me. ;)

For the fans, our continued success has probably made it easier to move on. Got no problem admitting that.

There'll be booing at some point on Saturday but I suspect it will be half-hearted, lacking any vitriol and almost playful. No doubt that will cause some to fire up about how disgraceful all Geelong supporters are.

The beat goes on.

Personally I have no problem booing from fans. In fact that probably is a duel sign of your love for you club and your respect of his contribution.

The reason I started this thread is based upon that article and Costa's comments in it. It is more directed at the club.

Many of us carry on like pork chops about McPhee but I'd expect that those at the club would respect him professionally and most likely personally so not say anything publically about him. If they have a problem they should get on the phone and talk to him. Not play it out in the press .... which they haven't.

1st year, played all the same blokes, same spots, will probably make the grand final but I think you'll lose it.

Scott is on record as saying that he hasn't really changed anything (other than a few minor tweaks) because they are a fantastic team that has been drilled/coached very well.

But according to Geelong supporters Scott has reinvented the wheel.

No supposition involved at all- hypothetically speaking if an old school mate of mine was involved in the process and chose to share some things then it wouldn't be supposition would it? Essendon may well have made the approach but Bombers reasons and motivation and the timing are not in dispute.

Moving into heresay now polly, but marginally better than supposition. At least you have conceded Essendon made the approach to Bomber, and not the other way around. Only a Bomber could understand Bombers dilemma at being approached first, by Essendon officials, to help rescue the Dons, whilst still an AFL coach. The events that followed have no bearing on his morality, as evidenced by his eventual casual stroll on to Keilor Parl Oval to informally announce he was in. Case closed.

Why are we even talking about then?

Geelong don't need a reason to smash us.

Nope, just need a time and a place ;)

Seriously though im travelling up for this game. Ill be the one cheering on the inside and keeping quiet to avoid my head being stomped on by angry Don fans.

As for Bomber, hard to argue his departure wasnt a little messy but after this game Im sure the mileage out of this story will be used up and we can all focus on whats important, not allowing Collingwood to go back to back

Scott is on record as saying that he hasn't really changed anything (other than a few minor tweaks) because they are a fantastic team that has been drilled/coached very well.

I gotta admit. I rate his brother a better coach at this stage. He is the one who has the tougher challenge and is making a decent fist of it. Geelong Scott has been handed a near perfect side.

That's natural.
The king is dead, long live the king.
And, again, to be fair, if the players didn't want Thompson anymore, he was right to leave.

But I do LOL whenever I see Cats supporters bag Hird in one hand for his current record, then 5 minutes later try and tell everyone how much better Scott is than Thompson because of X Y or Z.

It's a marathon, not a sprint, and he's kept all of Milburn, Wojo, Hunt Ottens etc in the side - relying on those blokes was apparently a mistake last year and a masterstroke this year.

Scott's just got a little bit to go to chase Bomba down, IMHO.

Why didn't bomber think of that?
Oh yeah, that's right, he did...

@ Geelong. Players wouldn't follow coach. Coach left.
New young, co-operative coach installed.
Feel free to revisit in 2-3 years, but that's exactly the same story of Ayres' first year.

Exactly? You're not prone to exaggeration are you? There are so many differences, I'm not sure where to begin. Firstly, Ayres was assistant coach the year before he became coach. Secondly, the team Ayres inherited was not a duel premiership team. Thirdly, the club was a financial mess. Fourthly, Ayres was a dick head from day 1. Fifthly, Blight left Geelong on good terms; there was no charades. Do I go on?

Moving into heresay now polly, but marginally better than supposition. At least you have conceded Essendon made the approach to Bomber, and not the other way around. Only a Bomber could understand Bombers dilemma at being approached first, by Essendon officials, to help rescue the Dons, whilst still an AFL coach. The events that followed have no bearing on his morality, as evidenced by his eventual casual stroll on to Keilor Parl Oval to informally announce he was in. Case closed.
Objection your honour !! I never said Thompson made the initial approach , merely pointed out that the manner of his departure is what irks most Geelong fans. Fact is there were discussions mid season and like it or not his coaching and public persona seemed to alter from then. I suspect history will record it as a win for both Clubs - I used to live in Essendon and they are my second team so I have a soft spot for them and wish you well.

I have never exaggerated anything* in my life

*Ever.

Reading back, that comes across more aggressive than I meant it to. Change that to 'basically' then.
Point being; judging any coach (Hird struggling or Scott flying) half-way through their first year is short-sighted at best.

Revisit in 2-3 years. I really do mean that. We just can't know.

No doubt CS inherited a well drilled , experienced side. But we were also jaded from the belting the Pies gave us in 2010. The big tick for CS is that he has rejuvenated the experienced guys , shown faith and played a lot of the kids and made us more defensive and direct in our ball movement. We have also been very fortunate with injuries and guys like Ottens and Corey seemed gone but have come back better than ever. We do play different though with our kick to handball ratio increasing this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Move on Geelong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back