Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure why it’s hard to grasp that having fun isn’t the issue here. Dressing like idiots and sinking copious amounts of beer isn’t a problem.

Dressing up like alleged rapists and child abusers isn’t only disgusting it’s frankly pretty ****ing weird.

And no, a private function isn’t the same as doing something in the privacy of your own home.

Serious question...

Since when, ever in history, has there been no consequence for saying something that pisses someone off?

I got punched in the face for the first time when I was 13 because I said something that offended someone.

Why do people make out like this is a new concept?

There’s a difference between a 13 year old getting punched in the face for mouthing off and an organisation like the AFL imposing financial and work-ban-like penalties on people.

I think the AFL need to be very careful on this one.

Regards

S. Pete

Not sure why it’s hard to grasp that having fun isn’t the issue here. Dressing like idiots and sinking copious amounts of beer isn’t a problem.

Dressing up like alleged rapists and child abusers isn’t only disgusting it’s frankly pretty ****ing weird.

And no, a private function isn’t the same as doing something in the privacy of your own home.

..and who cares what they do unless you are a special snowflake

Ah I got it - so you are the violent left wing type. Makes sense.

No more replies from me - enjoy your militant life.
Huh??

I repeat - when has anyone ever been able to go around saying stuff that pisses people off without there being any consequence?

Ever tried telling your boss what you really think if them? You know, fre speech and all. How do you think that would work out?

These old farts lining the glory of yesteryear are just delusional.

And Diddy broke the law, do you understand the difference here? Do I need to make it simpler?

An individual complaining about a private event shouldn't go to their employer. If they broke the venue's policies then the venue should have kicked them out, if they broke the law the venue should have reported them to police.
Exactly. It's the whole mentality of this generation to get on the latest social media echo chamber and be offended.

Enough of the common sense mate

The point is, that just because it's 'private', doesn't give you a green light to do whatever you want. Especially when there are people working there.

Whether it's 'private' or in the middle of Bourke St doesn't matter - if you piss someone off then there will be consequences.

Simple.

You have such a silly and basic opinion on this matter.

Companies sanctioning their employees for comments they make in their private life is a terrible thing, I don't know why you're arguing that. Imagine if u made a dumb joke with ur friends at home, would u want ur employer to get involved?

I already explained what the consequences should be in my previous post dumpty, if they broke the law then they should face the legal consequences, if they didn't and only broke the venues policies then they venue should have removed them. That's it, full stop.

People absolutely should have a green light to have free speech and say whatever they want at private events, providing they don't broke the law, get it yet?

There’s a difference between a 13 year old getting punched in the face for mouthing off and an organisation like the AFL imposing financial and work-ban-like penalties on people.

I think the AFL need to be very careful on this one.

Regards

S. Pete
Of course there's a difference.

The example is in relation to the mythical notion that consequence for your words and actions is a new thing.

It's not. There has always been consequences for actions.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's so strange to me that people are so prepared to defend this on a purely ideological basis without any of us really knowing what happened.

GWS had no issue with it. The AFL apparently want to give 6 week suspensions.

What do you think a player needs to do to warrant a 6 week suspension when the club has no issue with it?

At a public event I would expect them to represent their clubs, at a private event they can be themselves.

Ya know, if being themselves is making jokes about rape and child abuse… I think that might be a big part of the problem.

In any case, the public face of any organisation is always representing that organisation. 24/7. It’s part of the deal. When you’re a public face it’s part of your identity. In many lower profile businesses that’s often just the CEO or senior management. In high-profile professional sport it includes the players. It’s just part of their job.

Don’t like it, go dig ditches for a living. Can’t have your cake and eat it too.

So you think we should ban people making jokes about offensive topics?

People have the right to be offensive and make dark humored jokes.

"Troubled couples" theme. That was never going to end well.

The twin towers one was the worst. Extremely disrespectful.

Still, they are just young immature young blokes. Fine them and move on.

I'm not against the joke. As they say, tragedy + time = comedy.

It has to be funny and not offensive though. And I think anyone claiming to know which of those it was (or whether it was something else) are full of shit.

GWS had no issue with it. The AFL apparently want to give 6 week suspensions.

What do you think a player needs to do to warrant a 6 week suspension when the club has no issue with it?

Have you seen GWS' statement today? You're patently incorrect in what you're saying.

I don't think the twin towers could ever be portrayed in any comedic way.

I don't think anyone has the right to say that anything is not allowed to be funny in perpetuity.

Ya know, if being themselves is making jokes about rape and child abuse… I think that might be a big part of the problem.

In any case, the public face of any organisation is always representing that organisation. 24/7. It’s part of the deal. When you’re a public face it’s part of your identity. In many lower profile businesses that’s often just the CEO or senior management. In high-profile professional sport it includes the players. It’s just part of their job.

Don’t like it, go dig ditches for a living. Can’t have your cake and eat it too.

Oh please, what a load of utter high horse dribble.

Virtually all of the biggest comedians of our time have made jokes about things like rapists, child abuse, racism, the holocaust ect ect. A HUGE part of comedy is making light about dark topics, how do you not understand this???

How is hiring a private room not a private party. The afl could have ignored this.. but ohhh no
If it was a club function, then thier code of conduct would apply.

I've worked at companies where people were let go for behaviour at Christmas parties. Twice.

Plus, the bar staff isn't invited to the private function as a guest, they are working. We all might think them being offended at the players antics is weak or stupid, but they have the right to a safe and comfortable workplace, whatever that means to them. Fair Work laws are no joke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

Back