Movie Must watch movies (classic or recent)

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
I made a thread similar to this on the GD board about books and it's going well so I thought I'd start one here about movies. I didn't see anything like this (except the classic thread). What movies that you've watched recently/in the past/favourites would you recommend to watch? I've got a bit of time coming up with school holidays so I thought it would be a good time to start watching some. I tend to watch the big name movies but I don't watch many these days and I want to get back into watching movies regularly.

I'll kick off the recommendations with a few of my own. Some of them will be obvious.
All Quiet on the Western Front (1979): I've seen people recommend the 30s version but I've only watched this one. A real great insight into the horrors of war.
Gran Torino (2008): Fantastic performance from Eastwood.
He Got Game: Only watch it if you're a fan of sport particularly basketball. Great acting from Denzel Washington and a surprisingly good performance from NBA player Ray Allen.
Saving Private Ryan (1998): An outstanding movie with a great story line, cast and effects.
Toy Story 3 (2010): Took me back to my early days of childhood. Fantastic movie and a great conclusion to a great series loved by many around the world. Made me wish I was a kid again.
J.Edgar (2011): A great insight into the FBI's early days and it's ascension to the top of US law enforcement. Great performance from DiCaprio as well.

I'll leave it to you guys to suggest some films now.

There are arguably 5000-10000 must-watch films out there. But good luck.

Here is my Top 50 all-time favourite films, posted from another board.

1. Alien (Scott, 1979)
2. Brief Encounter (Lean, 1945)
3. The Godfather Part II (Coppola, 1974)
4. Once Upon a Time in the West (Leone, 1968)
5. Apocalypse Now (Coppola, 1979)
6. Barry Lyndon (Kubrick, 1975)
7. The Mirror (Tarkovsky, 1975)
8. Chinatown (Polanski, 1974)
9. Runaway Train (Konchalovsky, 1985)
10. Bladerunner (Scott, 1982)
----------------------------------
11. The Deer Hunter (Cimino, 1978)
12. Salvador (Stone, 1985)
13. The Terminator (Cameron, 1984)
14. Andrei Rublev (Tarkovsky, 1966)
15. The Godfather (Coppola, 1972)
16. The Thing (Carpenter, 1982)
17. Duck, You Sucker/A Fistful of Dynamite (Leone, 1971)
18. Brazil (Gilliam, 1985)
19. Once Upon a Time in America (Leone, 1984)
20. Amadeus (Forman, 1984)
21. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Kubrick, 1968)
22. Midnight Express (Parker, 1978)
23. The Conversation (Coppola, 1974)
24. The Shining (Kubrick, 1980)
25. Akira (Otomo, 1988)
26. Children of Men (Cauron, 2006)
27. Vertigo (Hitchcock, 1958)
28. Taxi Driver (Scorsese, 1976)
29. Videodrome (Cronenberg, 1983)
30. Planet of the Apes (Schaffner, 1968)
31. The Tree of Life (Malick, 2011)
32. Alien3 (Fincher, 1992)
33. Carlito's Way (De Palma, 1993)
34. There Will Be Blood (PTA, 2007)
35. Raging Bull (Scorsese, 1980)
36. Happy-Go-Lucky (Leigh, 2008)
37. Bright Star (Campion, 2009)
38. The Aviator (Scorsese, 2004)
39. Zodiac (Fincher, 2007)
40. Aliens (Cameron, 1986)
-----------------------------------
41. The Godfather Part III (Coppola, 1990)
42. Glengarry Glen Ross (Foley, 1992)
43. Close-Up (Kiarostami, 1990)
44. The Abyss (Cameron, 1989)
45. Se7en (Fincher, 1995)
46. Citizen Kane (Welles, 1941)
47. Three Colours Blue (Kieslowski, 1993)
48. Milk (Van Sant, 2008)
49. Thief (Mann, 1981)
50. A Single Man (Ford, 2009)

After this point, it's harder to rank the films I love, so many classics in that 9-9.5/10 range. If I had to pick the several closest HM's, I would go;

Terms of Endearment
Five Easy Pieces
Rosemary's Baby
Eyes Wide Shut
On the Waterfront
Mulan
Stalker
Rumble Fish
Jackie Brown
Days of Heaven

Some will hate the inclusions of Alien 3 & Godfather Part III, meh, come at me.

Also, no Australian films in there, but my Top 5;

1. Mad Max (just missed out)
2. Gallipoli
3. Candy
4. The Year My Voice Broke
5. The Home Song Stories

There are arguably 5000-10000 must-watch films out there. But good luck.

This was my thought, also.

That list is good too, watch those.

Personally, I haven't really thought about what my absolute favourites are in ages, but off the top of my head I'd say There Will Be Blood, Uncle Buck, Die Hard, The Shining, Annie Hall, Fargo, The Graduate, Vegas Vacation, Taxi Driver, Beauty And The Beast, Anchorman, The Neverending Story, My Neighbour Totoro, Chinatown, The Good The Bad And The Ugly, Drive, The Godfather, Duck Soup and the remaining works of PTA, Coens, Scorcese, at least.

i watched Collateral last night, solid flick that i always forget about, same with Falling down, The Intouchables, The Usual suspects,

great movies selection ITT already :thumbsu:

will try and list a few more not so obvious ones

I made a thread similar to this on the GD board about books and it's going well so I thought I'd start one here about movies. I didn't see anything like this (except the classic thread). What movies that you've watched recently/in the past/favourites would you recommend to watch? I've got a bit of time coming up with school holidays so I thought it would be a good time to start watching some. I tend to watch the big name movies but I don't watch many these days and I want to get back into watching movies regularly.

I'll kick off the recommendations with a few of my own. Some of them will be obvious.

J.Edgar (2011): A great insight into the FBI's early days and it's ascension to the top of US law enforcement. Great performance from DiCaprio as well.

I'll leave it to you guys to suggest some films now.

Quality troll is quality.

All Quiet on the Western Front (1979): I've seen people recommend the 30s version but I've only watched this one. A real great insight into the horrors of war.

I find it hard to imagine how that abomination of a waste of film stock could make it onto anyone "must watch" list.

Each their own I guess.

If I were to make a list here I wouldn't bother with any post 1970 movie, as many here could list those movies without any assistance from me.

I find it hard to imagine how that abomination of a waste of film stock could make it onto anyone "must watch" list.

Each their own I guess.

If I were to make a list here I wouldn't bother with any post 1970 movie, as many here could list those movies without any assistance from me.
Perhaps All Quiet on the Western Front isn't a much watch. I went a bit blank when creating the thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Pianist
Basketball diaries
Fight club
Shutter island
Muriels wedding

Not necessarily my favourite movies ever but brilliant flicks that personally left an effect on me in one way or another

Tough as all hell. I'd have to think of desert island, 5 I'd take with me:

1. Rififi. Never tire of this King of the heist movies. The actual heist scene in total silence is an amazing piece of cinematography
2. Dazed and Confused. Not in my top 20 flicks, but the movie that I've probably seen more than any other. Matthew McConaghy will NEVER land a better role than Wooderson.
3. Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia. Peckinpah's "**** you all" movie, starring the incomparable Warren Oates carrying the flyblown decapitated head through a whirlwind of demented, vengeful violence (co-starring the smokin' hot, Isela Vega)
4. The Friends of Eddie Coyle. Best 70's crime flick, starring the greatest actor of all time Bob Mitchum as the small time hood down on his luck.
5. Freaks. Tod Browning's classic has stuck with me since first viewing as a young teen

****ing excellent list Roobs. Don't necessarily agree with the order, but some incredible films in there.

I'll add a list when I can be bothered.

Anyone else got some good recommendations for me and perhaps others?
Ok.

Some stuff from outside the usual Hollywood guff.

Accident
Okuribito
Old Boy
The Man from Nowhere
The Raid: Redemption
Infernal Affairs Trilogy

The Pusher Trilogy
The Sunset Limited
Night of the Stalker
The Third Man
To Kill A Mockingbird

Check imbd for synopsis and ratings

In no order
LOTR trilogy
Any Tarantino
Wilder's "some like it hot"
Roeg -my fav."bad timing" , but hard not to recommend "don't look now"
And I love old ealing comedies any of them

Taxi Driver, Lost in Translation, Donnie Darko, and Pulp Fiction are my favourite films. Probably extremely bland choices.

Tough as all hell. I'd have to think of desert island, 5 I'd
2. Dazed and Confused. Not in my top 20 flicks, but the movie that I've probably seen more than any other. Matthew McConaghy will NEVER land a better role than Wooderson.

"That's what I love about these teenage girls.... I get older and they stay the same age!"

LOL... Best line in the film, love it :thumbsu:

******* excellent list Roobs. Don't necessarily agree with the order, but some incredible films in there.

Don't think any sane person would have Alien3 above Aliens on any list to be honest.

Agree with American History X. Great film.

Alien - downloaded recently just to relive, still incredible even with the technology of the day

Gattaca - Loved the theme, had me involved. People that like this are supposed to like Pi, Fountain and Primer, bah those movies are arty farty slop for film buffs to toss over.

Brazil - Legendary, has stood the test of time.

The Fifth Element - The only epic sci-fi that really brings the comedy at a high level, for this reason it's in a class of it's own.

Bicentennial Man - Can drag on a little at times but the acting is really top notch all around. Really bought Asimov's vision of a robot to life for me.

Total Recall - Haven't seen the remake but I know it can't possibly live up to the original. Awesome storyline and non-stop action.

Starship Troopers - The original flick is incredible in my mind. It's got Denise Richards and Neil Patrick Harris. Who knows what happened to Rico. It was all about an epic bug war but they did a great job with the character development which made this movie. School and training leading up to the war was just brilliant, one of my all times faves.

Back to the Future - First one is the best, 2nd one is awesome, 3rd one is still good. If you haven't seen these movies make sure you do soon.

Jurassic Park - Fond memories of this from when I was a kid. Simply a great watch from what I can remember. Can remember some of the camera work just being absolutely epic, they really wanted to make things feel like they were on a prehistoric scale.

The Truman Show - The only Jim Carey movie I really love. A good thriller that gets you thinking.

Sunshine - A mission to restart the dying sun, great movie but not much to it.

The movie that I would most like people to watch if they haven't though is this.

MUST WATCH.

l_101452_f4b06385.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie Must watch movies (classic or recent)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back