Remove this Banner Ad

sbagman

Club Legend
Nov 17, 2000
Scumshine
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Places you never want to visit again

Yep I have a fascination with holes. You know... places you would never want to visit ever again.

So far, no city or town in Australia or overseas has defeated my reigning champion since 1995, Coober Pedy (spelling?). However, I am now taking it as a challenge to find a new champion. In the next month or two I plan on visiting Livorno (an ugly port town which got hammered in WWII) and Terni (ditto, except replace port town with industrial town).

Where are other "holes" you guys have visited?

Sbagman.

my girlfriend will kill me if she finds out ive been saying which holes ive visited to complete strangers on the internet.

adelaide.

Truro. It was the point at which analog mobile phone ceased to work for such a long time, like a forboding warning: Abandon civilization ye who enter here.

Like John Safran says- never live in Adelaide, its a hole
Never forget waiting for a connecting flight in Adelaide, and being told the airport shut at 10, so I'd have to find a hotel. :eek:

Originally posted by i_luv_westcoast
Rockingham is a hole.
Rockingham is OK. Midland's a deadset hole - but it's still an address of class and distinction when compared with Northam, which is a Hole with a capital H.

Other holes I have known (not in the biblical sense):

Alice Springs
Denizli
Gloucester (city, not -shire)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Frankston and Dandenong in Victoria are twin cities, I think they should be renamed into one city called ****eville, or better yet burn them and start over.

Having said that Salisbury in SA would have to take the cake, row after row of commission houses (boxes) with broken down rusting cars in the driveways, an area where if you are 25yo and not a grandmother people are asking questions. Where the shops only open on pension day and contraception should be made mandatory through state legaslation.:p

In Australia
Fitzroy Crossing (once drove thru listening to the Warumpi bands " I left my heart in Fitzroy Crossing" but it could not disguise the feeling of helplessness and shame).
In PNG
Port Moresby (a walk across the tarmac from the plane past thousands of poor, desperate young men staring thru the barbed wire).
In Indonesia
Jakarta (the set for the movie "Blade Runner").
In Singapore
the new sanitised Bugis street (its so clean it shouldn't be possible???).
In New Zealand
Christchurch (it's Sunday everyday).
In China
Hong Kong (the open sewers bubble and froth with gas on warm days).
In Saudi Arabia
Riyadh (oil is god, oil is good, oil is all).
In New Caledonia
Noumea (the ugly face of french colonialism).

how about we do another thread.....beautiful places, and why?

Originally posted by Methuselah
In Singapore
the new sanitised Bugis street (its so clean it shouldn't be possible???).

how can a clean, sanitised street be a hole?

s'pore is so sanitised that it has no holes. even the redlight district is safe and clean :D

Driving across Oz I made a bee line for Melbourne from Port Augusta. I remember the names of Morgan and Peterborough but it was the little ghost towns inbetween that blew me away.
Deserted Holes....

Driving into Halls Creek the night of Pension Day was the most amazing / surreal thing of the whole trip around.

Rockingham? Fantastically undervalued real estate at present. Just bought a block of land less than 60m from Singleton Beach (ie: the foreshore not the waterline) for a bargain...One of the prettiest beaches around Perth which has some of the best beaches of any city I have seen. Great money to be made around Rockingham in the next few years.

Methuselah,

Had the same impression of Christchurch actually.

On South Australia, my friend from Tumby Bay reckons Port Augusta, Port Pirie and Whyalla form the "s*** triangle"...

Arden Street
Whitten Oval
Victoria Park

These top the list for me. Arden Street is the biggest dump I've EVER come across. Whitten Oval should be classified as a National Park, as it is the largest breeding ground for maggots in the Southern Hemisphere, and therefore of ecological significance. Victoria Park could be fixed with a decent working bee. Just throw out anything Collingwood related and it'll all come up good as new.

Remove this Banner Ad

My fascination with holes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back