Myths that annoy you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Think the thing with Thomas is that he started with a blaze of glory. Taking marks of the year contenders and kicking goal of the year contenders as well. He was the pick of the bunch of his draft in the first season and was going to be a star.

Too often in games which Collingwood are being dominated or the games their for the taking, he's been missing.

The game a fortnight ago and the two times we played you last year, he was barely seen.

I think he's a victim of his own brilliant start to his career and raised peoples expectations.

To an extent, I agree with that.

A lot of 18-year-olds struggle to get a game in their first season, yet he was a regular in our side from day 1. And even though he still is pretty young, there's a number of guys the same age as Thomas is now that still can't get a regular game for their clubs. Thomas has never been dropped for bad form AFAIR (he was rested for a couple of weeks mid-way through his first season), and is working with Mick Malthouse (who is playing him in a variety of roles) to distance himself from the percieved 'flashy' image and become a well-rounded player. He's a hard worker and a team player, which goes a long way when combined with footy smarts and athlecism like he has. He's not Chris Judd right now, and may never be, but you can say that for the majority of other players in the league right now as well.

'Gut Running' - no such thing. Somes players are either fitter than others or else some don't try as hard. May be a bastardisation of 'busted a gut' etc
Some media pratt coined it and the monkeys repeat it almost every call.

'Loads up' - Bruce McAvaney got tongue tied on a call a few years back and blurted out 'xxx loads up' as he sprinted to goal and had a shot. He meant 'unloads' and now again all the media monkeys used it as though it means something! Means nothing.

The length of a break beyond 5 days (as in crying because we had a 6 day break when the opposition had a 7 day break).

Certain players cannot play at Subiaco and MCG because the grounds are so much bigger.

Andrew Demetriou is an estute businessman. It is not hard to run a monopoly.

Adrian Anderson was appointed to his position for reasons other than to make Demetriou look good.

"We have the youngest list in the league". For two reasons, (1) everyone says it, and (2) show the median age or don't bother. Averages are shit because they are skewed by senior players.

That playing "kids" because they are kids will automatically improve the football club.

That tanking does not exist. At somepoint the use of the word was massively confused. Noone suggests that the players don't go out and try. Teams taking are going to finish at the bottom of the ladder and are in a rebuilding phase so of course 80% of the list needs to prove itself in order to get a game the next year.

That any of the rule changes made were necessary and have improved the game.

The 2 that I totally agree with are...(1)the swans are a great wet weather football team. During 2003- 2008, when we were up and about and they were previewing a game on whatever channel and it was raining, overcast, wet, whatever, Walls or any other commentator would come out and say that these conditions would suit the swans game style....utter rubbish. We were crap in those type of conditions, those conditions never suited the swans ever.

(2). The big 3 myth...Buckley, Hird and Voss. I swear you'd think there was no one else playing the game sometimes. Yes they were good players, but Wayne Carey played at the same time as these 3 and he had more talent and ability in his little finger than those 3 put together, easily the best player I have seen playing in the last 30 years. What used to annoy me the most about the commentators talking up these 3 was whenever Hird, Buckley or Voss would get the ball out in the open and short pass to a team mate 25 metres away and hit them on the chest, the commentators would say something like..."look at that pinpoint pass by Hird, it's an absolute delight to watch, there are few that could do that in the league"...for christ sake, a 25 metre pass to a team mate would happen at least 75 times a game, by anyone of many players and yes they too would hit a team mate on the chest, but do the commentators talk that up like it was the best kick in the history of the AFL... Noooooooo. and nor should they, used to give the you know whats.

Buddy Franklin and Luke Hodge are fat.

Yes, Stuey Dew is fat and yes it's embarassing for the Cats fans that an overweight footballer could make their All-Australian defence look so terrible... But the other two, would have to be the biggest cases of envy you'll ever see.

Franklin is probably the fittest/quickest tall forward in the league (Riewoldt might have more endurance but can't do it at the same pace or agility). He's added muscle and apparently that makes you fat so we can go ahead and say that Fevola, Brown, Ablett, Selwood, Pavlich and Cox are all fat...

Hodge is a solidly built bloke and they don't make them soft from Colac, but if he can get 30+ possessions and kick 3 goals 2 weeks ago he'd have to have SOME aerobic capacity. Was Voss or Ricciuto fat?

Greetings Viewers

One for old(er) timers .......

Back to 1970s when North won the flag, it has been suggested that the Kangaroos gained unfair advantage because of the so-called 10 year rule and that somehow cheapens their premiership.

The rule change was open to every club. Here's the biggy......
The NMFC voted against its very introduction.

Dicko

I'm not sure of the numbers for other clubs, but Collingwood have had a total of one priority pick since the concept was introduced - Dale Thomas in 2005. The Pies wouldn't have even qualified for that pick under the current priority pick system either, as they won a total of 13 games in 2004/2005.

Ahhh Collingwood history revisionists, god bless 'em.... and their recruiting staff.

Just because you waste them does not mean they don't count. Just to refresh

1999 - Priority Pick 1 Josh Fraser, Pick 3 (essentially the true priority pick) traded to Richmond with Clinton King for Steven McKee. Yes the pick before Matthew Pavlich was selected.

Buddy Franklin and Luke Hodge are fat.

Yes, Stuey Dew is fat and yes it's embarassing for the Cats fans that an overweight footballer could make their All-Australian defence look so terrible... But the other two, would have to be the biggest cases of envy you'll ever see.

Franklin is probably the fittest/quickest tall forward in the league (Riewoldt might have more endurance but can't do it at the same pace or agility). He's added muscle and apparently that makes you fat so we can go ahead and say that Fevola, Brown, Ablett, Selwood, Pavlich and Cox are all fat...

Hodge is a solidly built bloke and they don't make them soft from Colac, but if he can get 30+ possessions and kick 3 goals 2 weeks ago he'd have to have SOME aerobic capacity. Was Voss or Ricciuto fat?

Their was a photo earlier in the year that showed Hodge carrying more fat than 99% of AFL footballers, anyone got it. (approx rd.5, lying on the ground on his back)

The big 3 myth...Buckley, Hird and Voss. I swear you'd think there was no one else playing the game sometimes.
Yep, Ricciuto's career spanned the same time period, he would have been part of two premierships if it were not for injury or suspension (I may have made this up) he won a brownlow, played 300 and was a ******* gun.

He is easily on par with the above mentioned three.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's the grand-daddy of them all as far as I'm concerned:

The more games you win in a row, the closer you are to your next loss

Has there ever been a more illogical, stupid and more inane saying than that one?

You may as well say that every consecutive loss you have brings you closer to your next win.

Utter crap.:thumbsdown:

Here's the grand-daddy of them all as far as I'm concerned:

The more games you win in a row, the closer you are to your next loss

Has there ever been a more illogical, stupid and more inane saying than that one?

You may as well say that every consecutive loss you have brings you closer to your next win.

Utter crap.:thumbsdown:
Well logically they are both true. No football team is undefeated or defeated forever. St Kilda might go undefeated until R7 next season but if they win next week they will be a round closer to their next loss.

That <insert favourite team> are screwed by the umpires every week.

That <insert favourite team> is not given enough credit.

That <insert favourite player(s)> is/are underrated.

That people want to hear footy players talk.

North Melbourne will eventually die or relocate.

A load of rubbish it is.

That North's (and others) CBF millions are not in fact welfare.

That Melbourne deserves to be a perpetual welfare recipient because of their name.

That Melbourne supporters did not really vote in favour of a merger.

That North's CBF millions are not in fact welfare.

That North gets 'millions' from the AFL.

That North takes the most off the AFL.

That the GC deal was worth '$100m' to North.

That allowing the AFL to become 100 per cent owners of the club and install Gold Coast people would have 'guaranteed our survival'.

Ahhh Collingwood history revisionists, god bless 'em.... and their recruiting staff.

Just because you waste them does not mean they don't count. Just to refresh

1999 - Priority Pick 1 Josh Fraser, Pick 3 (essentially the true priority pick) traded to Richmond with Clinton King for Steven McKee. Yes the pick before Matthew Pavlich was selected.

No revisionist history attempt on my part - I was genuinely unaware that Josh Fraser was a priority pick. I thought he was just a regular #1 pick. I stand corrected :eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Myths that annoy you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back