Autopsy NAB 1 vs Bulldogs @ Whitten Oval - Saturday 4:30pm, February 28

MVP: Select up to 5 players

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Completely forgot about Dea, I'd assume he would've been in the team yesterday if he was fit.
Dea and Batch are playing the same role. Batch had his chance to prove himself yesterday so you'd assume Dea will get something similar next game

What role is that? Batch usually plays on talls. Can't say I've seen Dea play on many KPFs or resting ruckman.

Did Batch play a different role yesterday?
Batch was forced to play tall at times but he's playing a rebounding defender role

Wow Tigga in the 2nd multiple efforts against Wallis & ends up with the Free for going in lower & harder....GOLD !!!

Last year he wasn't playing this role. Has he been doing this so far during pre-season? I've seen Dea used as more of a lockdown defender than a rebounding defender.
Yeah, Batch has spent a heap of time this pre-season training for this role
Put a heap of effort in during player downtime with a private trainer to up his strength and running capacity as well

Dea shouldn't be a pure lockdown defender, he's better on the rebound but obviously he needs to keep his man accountable

• Batchelor, Miles and Vlastuin were in a class of their own.
  • Great to see Knights up and about
  • I was surprised by the amount of bad kicks Lennon produced, although happy to see him win a fair bit of the ball (conditions were tricky)
  • Elton showed a bit, hopefully we can hold onto him for a while yet.
  • Our attack on the footy, namely Morris and Vlastuin >>>>> theirs
  • Vickery winds me up for some reason. Was a hard day for forwards and delivery wasn't exceptional but he still annoys me.
  • Most of the kids showed something.
  • McBean didn't do much annoyingly but again was tricky for forwards.
  • I don't see a future for Gordon. The guy can run but he doesn't read the drop of the ball anywhere near AFL standard IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was surprised by Lennon's stats when I saw them at the end of the game. Didn't see him get much of it.

Think Vlas may be lining up for our lock down defender. Not sure lennon has the speed or at least kamikaze attitude of Morris, where Vlas seems to
I was taking the piss really sorry . I think Hardwick has got rocks in his head to take the best lock down small backman the club has had in decades and try and turn him into a forward meanwhile playing one of the most gifted , all Australian , AIS forwards in the backline or most likely the VFL. It's too early for April fools day.

Over 250 replies to an Autopsy thread for our first NAB game. Can't half tell how desperate some were for footy to return.

I was taking the piss really sorry . I think Hardwick has got rocks in his head to take the best lock down small backman the club has had in decades and try and turn him into a forward meanwhile playing one of the most gifted , all Australian , AIS forwards in the backline or most likely the VFL. It's too early for April fools day.

The reason I believe to get Morris out of the back line is to stop his poor disposals costing us goals.
I'm not sure if i'm just remembering the Port game we won, where each time he got rid of the ball it went straight to one of them for goal. I agree he is the best lockdown defender we have at the moment but Vlas uses it so much better coming out of the backline. You need your best kicks coming out of the backline to set up goals. Morris is too much of a liability.

The reason I believe to get Morris out of the back line is to stop his poor disposals costing us goals.
I'm not sure if i'm just remembering the Port game we won, where each time he got rid of the ball it went straight to one of them for goal. I agree he is the best lockdown defender we have at the moment but Vlas uses it so much better coming out of the backline. You need your best kicks coming out of the backline to set up goals. Morris is too much of a liability.
Vlaus will do a great job but he was down there already with Morris last year . I do agree with your concerns but the poor bugger had a should injury last year. Anyway he'll be back down there soon enough we just have to sit and wait this experiment out. Should take roughly 6 weeks until he is either sent down back or to the VFL. Hardwick tried this with Newman last year and it failed terribly.

I get what you saying, but it sounds funny to move someone from back to forward cos they're a bad kick. If you get my drift. But then again it went ok doing it with Jakie....

Vlaus needs to be developed in the midfield this year at every opportunity as well imo

I'm undecided because I haven't seen him for any real time in the midfield but gee he's good coming out of the backline...

I was surprised by Lennon's stats when I saw them at the end of the game. Didn't see him get much of it.

Think Vlas may be lining up for our lock down defender. Not sure lennon has the speed or at least kamikaze attitude of Morris, where Vlas seems to
Lennon took a lot of the kick ins. He kicked to himself and played on many times. Stats inflated as a result. I expected to see more from him yesterday.

Lennon took a lot of the kick ins. He kicked to himself and played on many times. Stats inflated as a result. I expected to see more from him yesterday.

I believe when we recruited Lennon he was supposed to be the high half forward Stevie J type. The problem I see is we have a heap of those players at the moment and none do it much better than Lids and Martin. Throw in Knights, Lloyd, Gordon, Edwards well and truly stocked up there but no real small crumbing quick forward.

I think Lennon would be great on the wing delivering the ball to our forwards, I do remember some beautiful kicks going in the F50 last year.
I think it was the 1st GWS game in which yes we destroyed them but his first 2 kicks into the F50 were perfect.

Loved the raw exposure we got in this game. Not just for the young/new but also some of our more experienced on the day.

Given the younger/newer weren't supported by more of our experienced/better players I thought the glimpses of potential we saw whilst still holding the Dogs to account was exciting. I can only imagine what we would have done to the Doggies if these guys were 1 or 2 more years in even without our best in the side.

Of Gordon and Lloyd I preferred Lloyd but neither stood out in this particular side which is not to say among our best 22 they wouldn't provide something.

McDonough likewise - though for me I sort of lost him in the game which surprised me because I would have thought he'd stand out more.

In the stepping up stakes I was rapped with Vlastuin, Grimes, Batchelor, Elton.

Miles just kept on keeping on - which in the stepping up stakes was hard to place because he's just so much of a machine ever since he put on the jumper.

Finally in standouts I have to say Knights, after being out of the game for the best part of 1 and a 1/2 years or so, was very composed and silky, especially given he'd have to get up to speed and touch at AFL level, he has a big upside.

Petterd and Grigg I guess you have to accept they play a role that may not be flash but has a certain substance and provides for structure.

Morris up forward may surprise me during the year but I have to say I like him down back where he appears to give more. Not sure why I don't see the intensity up forward the same. Having said that not a bad game by Morris.

Hampson just isn't Maric and that's not a bad thing, in that players can be different, but Hampson is just too much basketball and not enough footy. He still doesn't provide enough domination IMO. Maybe the new rules will favour him.

That leads me to Vickery who was our most experienced forward who should have inspired and led but just didn't show up among our youngsters as dominating or leading as far as I could see.

Elevating rookies is going to be interesting. I liked Lambert, Arnot and Castagna. More so Lambert and Arnot (who seems to have matured). Would like to think early elevation for one and later in the season the other of these two.

For all that I think I do have to consider that our focus for this year should be more goals and in this match they came from: Knights 2, Arnot 2, Short, Vickery, Morris, Grigg and Gordon.

Make of that what you will I suppose.

Edit:Lloyd a super goal. :)

Last edited:
I will say one thing about TV.... I saw on a few occasions him leading into space as opposed to his patented try and get ball out the back routine. He just did not get the delivery. So hopefully that is a sign of things to come.

If he can do that, and get his hands on the pill he can kick two a game easy as he is such a nice kick.

I am optimistic for him, and I hope it is his year for him and for us.

I will say one thing about TV.... I saw on a few occasions him leading into space as opposed to his patented try and get ball out the back routine. He just did not get the delivery. So hopefully that is a sign of things to come.

If he can do that, and get his hands on the pill he can kick two a game easy as he is such a nice kick.

I am optimistic for him, and I hope it is his year for him and for us.
I'm in the same boat as you and probably many others that hopefully how he can play is a sign to come.

Not anti TV - in fact hoping he gets it all together this year and I'm heartened by your observations but I guess I was just a little underwhelmed overall which is the frustrating thing about TV's progress for me I guess. A few games last year I was screaming YES HE'S GOT IT! ... and then the week later - nothing.

Oh well...

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy NAB 1 vs Bulldogs @ Whitten Oval - Saturday 4:30pm, February 28

Back