Cancelled
10k Posts
Apr 27, 2005
8th place
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Ham, Tony Pulis hat
Lets be honest, we got spanked but in the end we played to get spanked, I will dwell on all the negatives and positives ill start on positives tho

Matt Rosa 23 possessions 9 marks, what did I tell you, for mine he was 2nd best on field behind Cuzz, they were the only two who could feel they gave it there all, most impressive thing for Rosa is he spent more then a qtr on the bench, the next big thing has arrived.

Cuzz shook of the turmoil of the week with a brilliant performance

Hansen lead extremely well and looked very fast but the passin to him was garbage, over the head, too wide or too short was the story of the day for him, shame his day was ended early

RoJo might be a shoe in for forward pocket with 6 marks, he gets my vote

Gaspar looked good at times, not a loose defender at all tho but looked handy in one on one contests.

Priddis played quite well considering the amount of diff positions he played, one stage he was at FB v Mcpharlin, finally a midfielder who is a great tackle

McPharlin took 11 marks and kicked 6 goals but only 3 marks were took when he actually had a contest, rest were crossed into him from the boundary

I found 50 bucks in the mens toilets

Negatives

Hurn looked terrible and played very dumb footy, got taught a bit of a lesson which is good.

Nicoski is too slow to be a defensive pocket

McDougall is the worlds worst player, never gettin a game for West Coast again

LeCras is a year away from regular footy for sure

Forward line looked a bit dysfunctional but it would be when you have so many players moving in and out of it

Fremantle look a very good side, will win the NAB cup in a canter

-------------------------------------------------

Dont be too upset, lob sided results like that happen when one team wants it so much more then the other, it was also quite clear we lack match fitness which we will gain in the next month. If u want a big positive to brag about at work point them to Matt Rosa, the certainty for the rising star award this year, what a gun.

I was most disappointed with the KP players who had a point to prove but did very little - McDougall, Lynch, Gaspar.

Rosa showed some good things, and Cousins was running hard. Staker took a couple of strong grabs - if he beefs up a bit more he'd be a good FF or FB. Hansen presented well early, but had the butterfingers.

have to agree mate..... now that little phil is gone we have NO targets up front.
Heres our options:-
McDougall:- What can i say..... He shouldnt get a game in the under 10's
Big Lynchy:- Cant mark the ball, even if he asses a mark he cant kick anyways
Staker:- never knows where the ball is gonna be and wosha keeps pulling him out of there anyway
R. Jones:- can be a target but i swear Wosha hates him
Hansen:- well ive always liked this kid so i got nothing
lets face it were ****'d if we dont push Embley up forward full-time and stop crying over Gardners antics and get him back into the side

• Banned
Wudnt mind playing a bit more smart footy, ive always been told its better to keep the ball then to give it to the opposition, IMO we shud play more keep me offs and it will in general improve our game, cross the ball more more short passes around the 50 too. Hansen was great, butterfingers give me a break, the delivery he got was pure poo. I wont judge our forward line till Hunter is back personally.

jorel6669 said:
I was most disappointed with the KP players who had a point to prove but did very little - McDougall, Lynch, Gaspar.

McDougall and Lynch should both be sacked i cant belive that there even still in the team. as for gasper he didnt get much of a chance today as our midfield/defence didnt back him up as they should of.
Would of loved to see him get a real run up forward

• Banned
Im really praying one day we unleash Lynch in the ruck, the guy has the biggest leap I have ever seen, ive seen Lynch beat Cox time and time again in training, if we played Lynch in the ruck and showed every1 what he cud do his trade value wud skyrocket.

Hunter is a classic full forward who knows adsactly how to play the position and i think that they will form the forward line around him come round 1

really missed him today

midfield was kicking really badly

should be able to get a good price on them for the flag now i guess

I wouldnt be backing them just yet. for mine it would have been cuzz then rosa today for best on ground for the eagles, that kid looks like he can really play a bit lets hope he gets some early chances once the real stuff starts. Rowan Jones played like an absolute dog today i doubt very much if he will be getting to much game time this year either his best option is to play well at the tigers and put himself up as trade bait he is a crab.

I think the answer to this game was simple. Freo were up for it WCE weren't.

Let's start with the basics. We finished last season a month after Freo. There are five weeks to go before season starts and clearly Freo are a lot fitter than we are, understandably. And wouldn't Woosha be stupid to try and get us up and pumped for a preseason cup inevitably leaving us stuffed come season end.
On the other hand Freo were a disgrace last year and need to boost confidence, they were not only fitter but hungrier for a win.

So what did Woosha do. Well I think he used it as preperation and to see what a few new players could do. last week we had an interclub game and it was clear than many players were not 100% yet he stretched them. In defence we had little cohesion. last year would have seen Wirra, Glass, jones, Nikoski, Hunter and Staker, backed up by Banners and Chick with Fletch and Brauny getting back to help. What did we see today? An open forward line for Freo with the non fit Glass, still slow Lynch and Nocoski (good game) being left to prove their fitness against fitter and faster player in Longy and Mcpharlin. Not a good strategy to win a game but sure worked those guys all afternoon along with Gaspar and Hurn.
In attack MCDud was given a chance again. How many chances will Woosh give him? He's a fairy, no guts. Staker showed he is a good player but no FF. Seaby took the only credible tall forward mark in the fifty. Hansen looked good in limited time. Chick wasn't focused. Not much more to say about the forwards but I guess if Woosh had been serious Stakes would have dropped to defence and Q gone to FF. IMHO it's the only place he can go and also our best option. He may drop marks but he puts his body in and gives a contest.
Midfield was generally good without having the intensity of a team that were seriouse, Cuz excelled and Kerr put in a good effort. Of the rest, well Rosa was the standout whilst Rojo linked well and Embers was fine. Most of the rest were so so , but remember we were putting Priddis and other second line players in the midfield at key stages whilst more senior players rested or didn't play. Those new players will have gotten a lot out of this game.

So,by season start I would expect our team to not only be far fitter but to have several different positions and a different mentality. I think something like :-

Wirra, Glass, Jones
Waters, Hunter, Staker
Braun, Cousins, Embley
Nicoski, Hansen, Chick
Jones, Lynch, Sampi
Cox, Judd, Kerr

Seaby, Banfield, Stenglein, Fletcher

Em Rosa, Selwood, Butler

Now to me that looks more balanced and flexible.

freo looked about as good as Carlton did at this time last year.......but they won the cup!!!

Frodo said:
Jones, Lynch, Sampi

Interesting that you put Lynch at FF. Lynch was nowhere near as bad at FF as some people would have us believe and he really is unfairly rated by some supporters, he has as much scope for improvement as any of the other contenders. Neither McDougall or Staker really looked up to it today, but the delivery wasn't exactly top shelf.

I still hold on to the hope that McDougall will provide something.....but there is only so long we can wait.

Gunnar Longshanks said:
Look at all these shrill, panicked losers.

Yeah, it's rather pathetic if you ask me.

Embers said:
Negatives

Hurn looked terrible and played very dumb footy, got taught a bit of a lesson which is good.

Nicoski is too slow to be a defensive pocket

Honestly Embers, sometimes I wonder about you.

How was Hurn terrible? He had stuff all gametime and played on Freo's best forwards, we didnt try and hide him away on a rookie and he didnt get disgraced at all. Alot of defenders struggle on the last line, let alone a guy who is 18 and is yet to make his AFL debut. I thought he was fine, not outstanding and certainly not terrible. How did he play dumb footy?

If you think Nicoski is slow then you need your head read.

theorangeapple said:
How was Hurn terrible? He had stuff all gametime and played on Freo's best forwards, we didnt try and hide him away on a rookie and he didnt get disgraced at all. Alot of defenders struggle on the last line, let alone a guy who is 18 and is yet to make his AFL debut. I thought he was fine, not outstanding and certainly not terrible. How did he play dumb footy?

People have been pretty harsh on Hurn over the intraclub games and into the NAB cup and he had a lot of high expectations on him. Woosha kept him on Ratboy for the entire second quarter even though he was killing him on the lead and was responsible for quite a few of Freo's goals that quarter. It shows you how seriously the club was taking the game. It would have been a valuable lesson for him and shown him what he's going to have to do to get his game to an acceptable level for AFL. Not everyone is going to be a Judd and burst out of the blocks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Debaser said:
Interesting that you put Lynch at FF. Lynch was nowhere near as bad at FF as some people would have us believe and he really is unfairly rated by some supporters, he has as much scope for improvement as any of the other contenders. Neither McDougall or Staker really looked up to it today, but the delivery wasn't exactly top shelf.

I still hold on to the hope that McDougall will provide something.....but there is only so long we can wait.

The reality is that Q presents a challenge, put's his body on the line and creates scraps for others. He may be crap on the mark but he is still a serious focus. There is nobody else apart maybe from Seaby. Taking Hunter way from the half back line is Crazy, who replaces him? Fair enough if Gaspar gets AFL fit or Graham is a surprise star, but we have to build on what we have, not wreck it. Last year we topped the ladder for most of the season. Who was FF?

I rate McDougall a lot higher than you Frodo, but he and Staker haven't been overly impressive over the preseason. Hunter has looked better, but as you say we lose something vital in defence if they shift him forward permanently.

Lynch could be a decent full forward if they keep him there this year. I'm not entirely sure if that's the way the club is thinking though. Inaccuracy was also a problem with Lynch's game last year, there were games when he got 1 goal, but should have really got 3 or 4. Definately room for improvement.

The club is going to have to make a decision early in the season as to who is going to play at FF. I'm not sure a rotating cast of full forwards is going to solve the problem.

Also, Seaby should definately be spending more time deep in the forward line. If the ball is coming in on top of the goal square I'd back him to take the mark 8 times out of 10.

Frodo said:
The reality is that Q presents a challenge, put's his body on the line and creates scraps for others. He may be crap on the mark but he is still a serious focus. There is nobody else apart maybe from Seaby. Taking Hunter way from the half back line is Crazy, who replaces him? Fair enough if Gaspar gets AFL fit or Graham is a surprise star, but we have to build on what we have, not wreck it. Last year we topped the ladder for most of the season. Who was FF?

you managed 8 goals in the GF. you need goals. Phil your leading goalkicker is gone.

you have nothing.

Its much more dramatic to say managed 8 goals then it is to say lost by 4 points :D

Hurn played dumb cos for some reason even when he was infront he chose to go behind Ratboy, I just thught it was very silly of him and also looked a bit lost on how to use his body, a bit harsh I was on him but he didnt do many intelligent things out there, and at times he was made to look like a bit of a chump

Nicoski is slow in terms of playing in a back pocket I meant, IMO Nico will never be a backpocket and is much more effective playing on the likes of Welsh Kinglsey Headland and co.

Nikoski should be on the wing!

McDougall is a JOKE and should be gone!

Lynch is pathetic down back!

Cousins is a CHAMPION - Give him back the captaincy now!

Hansen is the CHF and is a young gun.

Cox was just doing what he had to to get through the game.

Rosa looks Awesome - doesnt panic.

We will make the top 4 so dont worry bout that.

Freo might scrape into the 8 - but dont count on it.

McDougall is sh*t! - Had enough!

Bring on Round 1 Vs St.Kilda!

"WEST COAST EAGLES PREMIERS 2006!!!"

(A Fremantle supporters perspective coming up)

To be honest i don't think your fitness was there (it will improve immensely before the season proper starts). Worsfold's coaching was questionable. I don't think he was trying to win the game. Gave some tough jobs to very young players and left them there far too long. Seemed like an experimental game for him, lets try player X on player Y. OK that doesn't work, how bout player Z.

I'm not going to start boasting just yet, because of the reasons above. But am quietly confident this will be our best year. Take from that what you will. It doesn't mean we'll beat you, it doesn't mean we won't.

Pretty terrible performance and the bottom line is that we just werent up for it. It's not a huge concern though, still got some players to come back in and the real stuff is still a month away. If we play like that against St Kilda then I will be concerned.

Embers said:
Hurn played dumb cos for some reason even when he was infront he chose to go behind Ratboy, I just thught it was very silly of him and also looked a bit lost on how to use his body, a bit harsh I was on him but he didnt do many intelligent things out there, and at times he was made to look like a bit of a chump

It takes alot of guts to play infront of your man as a defender. People always think you should always play infront and that works at lesser levels but when you have man behind you, you cannot see him and cannot control him as easily. Especially someone like Medhurst who could push you under the ball with ease and is one of the main ways he gets his marks inside 50.

Embers said:
Nicoski is slow in terms of playing in a back pocket I meant, IMO Nico will never be a backpocket and is much more effective playing on the likes of Welsh Kinglsey Headland and co.

I think this sums up how much notice we should take of Embers' posts.

I agree with Gunnar (for a change) and TOA - it was a testing/practice game...nothing more.

For those of you at the game, you should realise this

Underdog said:
I think this sums up how much notice we should take of Embers' posts.

I agree with Gunnar (for a change) and TOA - it was a testing/practice game...nothing more.

For those of you at the game, you should realise this

U forget how well Nicoski did on Hentschel durin the prelim final, shut him out in the last half, those style of forwards are definetly more suited to him then Milnes or Farmers.

I think we're going overboard with this whole preseason result, look at Sydney they haven't even won a game all preseason & it doesn't seem they've even broken a sweat about it.

From what I saw it looked like we didn't put much effort at all into that match that will change come R1. Guys like Wirra, Fletch & Banfield will come in atm im content to see guys like Priddis, Rosa get some gametime.

Just on Doogs aswell he might have had another shocker but under the circumstances of that match I believe he deserves another chance to stake a claim.

my question is, what are you going to do with your forward line?

The Dockers were without our CHB, FB and Back Pocket yet they easily accounted for your forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

NAB Cup - Post game thoughts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back