Preview NAB Cup R2 - WCE v COLL - 3/3 @ PS

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, that's still 50/50.

But it could well be Embley's last season so I agree that he might not be in the mix for 2014.

Let's not fall into the trap of reeling off every mid-sized player on our list.

Some of the guys who are unproven will disappoint. People lose sight of that at this time of year.

Will we play without an interchange?

There's an expectation that Embley is getting old, but Selwood and McGinnity could still play quite a bit of footy for us.

So let's just assume Embley retires at the end of the year – I still think we'd need to see a fair bit of improvement from outside the best 22, and even the best 25, for Selwood and McGinnity to be obsolete.

I think McGinnity, in particular, could become an important player for us. I basically see him becoming our #1 stopper.

It is only my opinion, of course, and I don't expect it to be shared by everyone. Personally, I'd prefer to play younger players whos performance and output will be similar to Embley at the end of the year, however, offer better pace and/or disposal skills. This includes a spot on the bench. Also, the players I listed to replace Embley all played through the hff las year, I wasn't just listing players for the sake of it. They won't all make it, but only 2-3 of them need to and Embley is out.

Selwood, as I said originally, is in a safer position, and even if he isn't in the best 18, is probably going to be in the best 22.

McGinnity I just don't rate as highly as you, which is fine. I acknowledged what he brings to the team, but personally I would prefer a different skillset at half forward. If he plays primarily as a tagger in the midfield, then that may be a different story, but he doesn't have a big history of that.

The fanfooty match blog is probably the closest you will get, covers the scores and significant plays. Note that during an actual match it also has the player stats on that page.
"McInnes makes sure of the Eagle win with a left foot snap around the body from 20m." ....ugh

Adam Selwood and mcginnity should not both be in the team at the same time. Only one of them is necessary. There disposal is so shoddy it costs us goals. Mcginnity does not have the tank to play in the midfield and the required ability to read the play, watch him when he is doing a tagging role being 10m behind a player as he is kicking a goal as he has been caught on the hop. We have an awesome forward line so lets be an attacking team and rely on each player to have a defensive mindset when the opposition has the ball, no need to have adam and paddy in the side when it means we are leaving a skilled player out.

The key to our game needs to be improving our clearance ability, dominant ruckman but we allow the opposition to get too many clearances (especially throw ins), we get the clearances and we don't allow the opposition to clog our forward line. We got smashed in the clearances too often for my liking when we had double the hitouts, and these weren't Sandiland hitouts, they were directed to a player but were shutdown, intercepted or fumbled. We have increased midfield depth this year and we must mix it up more and run more players through the centre so as the players have more energy late in games and late in the year, sick of the slump from rounds 13-18 most years, Kerr, Priddis, Shuey, Selwood are our go to guys and we need to increase that list. Rest Priddis,Kerr,Selwood etc (not all at once)and give some of the other guys a go. With Cox, Glass, Kerr and Embley coming to the end soon this is the year to do it and be hitting our peak at finals time

Adam Selwood has been replaced with Brennan.

Source: Patrick Keene in twitter.
This is why:

9b7ebf3a818b11e2a7d622000a9e298f_7.jpg

Personally, I'd prefer to play younger players whos performance and output will be similar to Embley at the end of the year, however, offer better pace and/or disposal skills.
Assuming those younger players are at that level?

I reckon Embley could still play some reasonable football this year.

Everyone likes to talk about our depth but I don't think it is a fait accompli that the guys outside the side are all ready to go.

This includes a spot on the bench. Also, the players I listed to replace Embley all played through the hff las year, I wasn't just listing players for the sake of it. They won't all make it, but only 2-3 of them need to and Embley is out.

Selwood, as I said originally, is in a safer position, and even if he isn't in the best 18, is probably going to be in the best 22.

McGinnity I just don't rate as highly as you, which is fine. I acknowledged what he brings to the team, but personally I would prefer a different skillset at half forward. If he plays primarily as a tagger in the midfield, then that may be a different story, but he doesn't have a big history of that.
You're a bit too quick to assume the replacements will be better than these guys.

You mentioned a guy like Newman when there's no indication this guy is ready.

I think he will kick a lot of goals for us this season. Another season where at the end we will applaud this guy after everyone thought he was done and dusted from one kick.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind hearing commentators refer to him as "the wily old veteran" a few more times this year.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind hearing commentators refer to him as "the wily old veteran" a few more times this year.
God, do you remember when Banfield played?? "Banfield, the veteran" every. single. time. he. got. the ball.

Assuming those younger players are at that level?

I reckon Embley could still play some reasonable football this year.

Everyone likes to talk about our depth but I don't think it is a fait accompli that the guys outside the side are all ready to go.

You're a bit too quick to assume the replacements will be better than these guys.

You mentioned a guy like Newman when there's no indication this guy is ready.

Embley may play reasonable football this year, I just hope (for the sake of our flag chances in the coming years) that our younger players play better than him. A lot of these players have shown good signs, and they will have a chance to prove themselves this year. I'm not guaranteeing that the youngsters -will- be better, but I honestly think that Embley will be overtaken during the year - my personal opinion, of course.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Glass has a fitness test tomorrow with a corkie I am told. If he is out, McGovern is in.
At least McGovern would introduce some serious height.

Maybe not to the level we all hope. I do think the general consensus is correct in the fact that our depth surely is the best its been since God was a boy :p
When you actually look at the players you provide that depth, how many of them are genuinely proven at senior level?

There's a reason these guys aren't in the best 22.

Embley may play reasonable football this year, I just hope (for the sake of our flag chances in the coming years) that our younger players play better than him. A lot of these players have shown good signs, and they will have a chance to prove themselves this year. I'm not guaranteeing that the youngsters -will- be better, but I honestly think that Embley will be overtaken during the year.
Which young players are you talking about?

Sheppard is a chance. Maybe Cripps. Who else plays a comparable role to Embley?

Still reckon Embley has something to offer and might not be so easily overtaken.

my personal opinion, of course.
It's not necessary to keep saying this. I already know it's your opinion.

Which young players are you talking about?

Sheppard is a chance. Maybe Cripps. Who else plays a comparable role to Embley?

Still reckon Embley has something to offer and might not be so easily overtaken.

It's not necessary to keep saying this. I already know it's your opinion.

Cripps and Sheppard are a good chance, Hill and Nicoski could be preferable as forwards too.

Cripps and Sheppard are a good chance, Hill and Nicoski could be preferable as forwards too.
Cripps and Sheppard are some chance. Why do you think Cripps is a good chance to replace Embley? It's pretty hard to say either way, surely. I think Cripps will go on to become a useful player but I couldn't say he'll be best 22 this season with any confidence.

Hill is already in the side and Nicoski is vying for his spot more than Embley's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview NAB Cup R2 - WCE v COLL - 3/3 @ PS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back