NAB Cup Round 2 - Essendon v Brisbane Lions Official Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Missed watching the game, just finished work at 9:15 and dinner for me is cooking (late as per usual), had score updates on my phone during the match thanks to 3. Good to see that we can come back. Can't comment about the game as I haven't viewed it, may watch later if mum can give the tv with foxtel to me, but I'm not going to bother her as we lost. Since I have Saturdays off work now, can't wait to see the boys in action at Carrara on the 14th as I missed our game the other week there.

We saw glimpses tonight of what Rich is capable of when given a little bit of space.

Two beautiful deliveries inside 50 right on the dime.

... and did you see the shepherds he laid on when he didn't have the ball? Not to mention that tackle in our back 50 (in the 3rd?). There is a god - I don't know what we did to get this kid, but given he turns all of 19 this year, somebody up there likes us.

Other thoughts:-

> 1st quarter - Selwood holding the ball/in the back - grrrrrrr;

> Tyler - hmmmmm... least he got some ruck experience against hille;

> Notting's kicking tonight :thumbsdown:

> last quarter - Bradshaw marked that thing dammit - chopping the guys arms when he's in the process of marking was a free kick last time I looked.

> third quarter - Albie's bump - grey area huh? Cop that! loved it.

> Ooh-ahhh - nice sleeve Ash - and nice performance too - made Jetta look like he was standing still when he brushed passed him.

> last quarter - Redden's kick - such a shame, but hey, it's February.

1st half: :thumbsdown:
2nd half: :thumbsu:

Watching it live, it seemed as though the players were very slow and some very simple mistakes were made. From the half way point of the third quarter, the Lions were a different team. The attack on the ball and on the man was fantastic and, if it weren't for poor kicking at goal, we should have won in the end. I feel for poor Redden. The pressure would have been pretty tough on the poor kid and I didn't expect him to kick the game winning goal.

Not too disappointed with the result in the end.

Very impressed with that second half, thought it would be a blow out.
Great to see Ash lift and show some leadership too.
I am pretty happy.:thumbsu:bad kicking for sure but a very inexperienced team out there.
Reckon Vossy would be quite pleased.Oh and how good was Drummond?

Sorry if it has been posted already but can someone tell me Rich's stats it's not on AFL.com.

13 touches, a few tackles, some lovely delivery inside 50 and a stack of work off the ball. He just looks like he belongs.

After a couple of pre-seasons he's going to be a top shelf midfielder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Righto, just got home from the game, and although ive had a few cans, here are my thoughts:

- Clouston, Dzufer and Hawksley all are not ready for first class footy, all looked pox and panicked every time they touched it.

- Redden showed some real good poise for a first year player and looks like he will be a gun for the future.

- Rich looked much more comfortable than in his first game. Will be a star.

- Selwood found a fair bit of it but panics every time he gets it.

- Burger and Roe both looked good.

- Clark would be an absolute star if he learns how to kick for goal!!!

- Drummond was good, but the man cannot turn right!! I am dead serious every time he gets it he looks left, rarely even considers going right. Needs to sort that shit out.

- Overall was a fairly good showing by the boys. First half, especially the second quarter was fairly pox, but second half the boys had more legs than the dons and wanted it more.

End rant.

- Clouston, Dzufer and Hawksley all are not ready for first class footy, all looked pox and panicked every time they touched it.

I thought Hawksley was really impressive to be honest, especially early. Certainly didn't seem to panic from what I saw.

I thought Hawksley was really impressive to be honest, especially early. Certainly didn't seem to panic from what I saw.
My thoughts exactly. His first half was quite good in my opinion.

Extremely encouraging performance I thought. Vital that our young second tier midfielders lift this year. Tonight makes that look like a real possibility.

That line-up would have gotten smashed last year.

I have no intention of offending anyone, and I'm not here to pick a fight. But it's important to remember that it was against Essendon's young, second tier midfield as well.

They may have had their first tier forward line (rusty as they were) but their midfield is definitely not the one you'll see in the main season. They were missing Welsh, Stanton, Prismall, Reimers, Houli, and Mcveigh had little TOG. All of these players are definites in their 22.

Again, I'm not insulting anyone or anything, just reminding you that it is hard to rate either teams performance tonight, seeing as they were both severely under-strength sides.

I would have to agree, he is showing more and more each game. Sure there were a couple of turn overs but he wasn't on his own there. The positives of head over the ball, the confidence to hold onto the ball/drawing the opponent into must tackle or bump then dishing off a handball in the last second and taking that inevidable collision, I think is a great sign. Hawks timeing and accuracy will only improve - there were great signs there for both him and TC. Colliers split of the pack early doors was brilliant.

I have no intention of offending anyone, and I'm not here to pick a fight. But it's important to remember that it was against Essendon's young, second tier midfield as well.

They may have had their first tier forward line (rusty as they were) but their midfield is definitely not the one you'll see in the main season. They were missing Welsh, Stanton, Prismall, Reimers, Houli, and Mcveigh had little TOG. All of these players are definites in their 22.

Again, I'm not insulting anyone or anything, just reminding you that it is hard to rate either teams performance tonight, seeing as they were both severely under-strength sides.

We had six of our top 10 players from last year out, as well as our fullback.

We were way more understrength than they were.

Thanks for the input though.

We had six of our top 10 players from last year out, as well as our fullback.

We were way more understrength than they were.

Thanks for the input though.

I didn't mean to say your team wasn't under-strength (and in fact, I didn't say it.)

Just saying a statement like "Vital that our young second tier midfielders lift this year. Tonight makes that look like a real possibility. That line-up would have gotten smashed last year." is perhaps not that true. I actually think that if the midfields which were lined up tonight had faced each other a year ago, your team would have done better than they did tonight.

I didn't mean to say your team wasn't under-strength (and in fact, I didn't say it.)

Just saying a statement like "Vital that our young second tier midfielders lift this year. Tonight makes that look like a real possibility. That line-up would have gotten smashed last year." is perhaps not that true. I actually think that if the midfields which were lined up tonight had faced each other a year ago, your team would have been better than they were tonight.
Stick to the team that you know.

Who do we play next week? Richmond? I wonder if Cousins will play.

I just wanna say well done to the boys. I listened to the game on radio and from early on I didnt think it was looking good, but you hung in there and in the end should have won, lets hope this season shows more fight like that than last.
Also, is Voss a defensive coach? I heard quite a bit he had the whole 18 in Essendons half at times, unfortunately the game seems to be heading that way but I hope Voss doesnt do it too much, maybe when we have Brown, Bradshaw and Clarke up there they will move quicker through the middle.

Remove this Banner Ad

NAB Cup Round 2 - Essendon v Brisbane Lions Official Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back