NAB Cup Round 2 - Essendon v Brisbane Lions Official Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

In some ways a good game to lose, as it gives us two games in Qld to round out the pre-season comp (I'm pretty sure), instead of one and possibly two more away games...

Was impressed with Hawksley early, he took on the tacklers and broke through them, same with Collier, they backed themselves.

Henderson continued to learn in the FB position.

Clark just knows how to grab at the ball, he just plucks it from the air, was impressive throughout although can be more damaging if he converted his shots.

Overall, thought it was good fightback, we didnt lay down and fought to the end. Obviously alot of work to be done still.

I was really impressed with our boys tonight, i know the dons were understrength but we were missing our top 5 mids, our best forward and best defender so i am suitably impressed with the effort of our team. There are some exciting times ahead i would think. A few thoughts

Justin Sherman- Okay massively impressed with him on 2 fronts

1. Four years ago this bloke didn't have a left foot, he dinked the ball on the outside of his right and around goal he always snapped on his right which led to him being caught. Tonight at pace he hits a leading forward with a 30m left foot pass and then snaps a beautiful left foot goal from 30m. Great to see an AFL player willing to develop his opposite side.

2.Sherman had his pace and dash back bigtime tonight this all points to the fact that he is FIT this season. He needs a big season and hopefully he will deliver. He will generate lots of shots on goal at his best.

It was great to see Ash McGrath play so well tonight, McGrath showed his elite skills more consistently tonight. His pace and penetrating kick are really well served around the middle of the field and into our forward line. I think he is one player who might have benefited from a decent pre season.

Redden - Really like the look of Redden, like Rich he looks like a footballer with the ball in his hands, he has a little bit of Pendlebury about him and i think we will be happy his selection will be justified sooner rather than later.

Drummond- He is a top class footballer, we just need an injury free season and we could have a new B and F contender/All Australian player

Proud- Thought he had a good first up game, from what i saw on the tv he was running pretty hard, when he had the ball he looked to use it into damaging positions as well as running to link up as well, his challenge will be to accumulate more of the footy but we must play him!

Harding- Interesting night, he is probably showing more signs of being able to perform consistently at the highest level, only concern is he goes missing after the clearances unless he is deep forward.

Selwood and Stiller- Without being too negative does anyone else feel our list has almost passed these 2 players.

Collier and Henderson- Both players look like future cornerstones of the team! Collier's dash and strength is going to be important, his ability to win enough of the ball will be his challenge.

Finally Clark- He has the goods apart from his goal kicking, i just don't see us playing three talls unless he plays the traditional chf role, not sure where he will fit into the playing structure, once again i am an advocate of him trying to play the Richardson role!

Great effort by the boys, not too worried about bowing out in the second round. Country matches take the pressure off the coach and players, the footy season is a long one and we don't want to be March champions and then april fizzers.

Selwood and Stiller- Without being too negative does anyone else feel our list has almost passed these 2 players.

Stiller, Never really been the biggest fan of him, he has his moments but I can't think of a time when he's had a lot of tackles or try bust through a tackle and I can't see him ever improving much more than the player he is. I would think he will really struggle to make the 22 this year. Selwood..... he seems to have the talent and all the ability just somehow he consistently is causing turn overs.

I thought it was a good game only for the fringe players, I thought Proud looked great and also Rich, Redden, Collier and Polkinghorne are looking great. Last night was never going to be a good indication of how the season will go for us with all the outs and Voss coaching only his second game. Can't wait for round 1 against West coast!

They may have had their first tier forward line (rusty as they were) but their midfield is definitely not the one you'll see in the main season. They were missing Welsh, Stanton, Prismall, Reimers, Houli, and Mcveigh had little TOG. All of these players are definites in their 22.

One 2nd tier midfield had a dominating ruckman feeding them, the other played without a recognised ruckman for an entire 2nd half. As fair as you maybe attempting to be perhaps this point seems to have been lost in your analysis.

Main Season - Not so sure how much we will see of Prismall & Welsh in the 'main season'.

Black, Power, Brennan, Rischitelli, & Johnstone>>>> Stanton, Reimers, Houli & McVeigh.

I think this is why some here are excited to see some 2nd tiers step up last night.

I had to watch the game on 7HD starting at 8:30pm, grrr!

I agree with most of what's been written here except I have to say I'm surprised about the comments re: Stiller. I really thought he was good last night, seemed to be everywhere and got a lot of possession. His endurance was better than others too.

I'm frustrated, as many of us are, at our inaccuracy in front of goals. It's goals that win games and I will be looking for more practice in that area at training! ;) Harding has been good, more so because we didn't know he could kick goals but I am dumbfounded as to how Clark could return from injury in 2007 and kick 5 goals and yet miss some easy shots like last night. :rolleyes:

Righto, just got home from the game, and although ive had a few cans, here are my thoughts:

- Clouston, Dzufer and Hawksley all are not ready for first class footy, all looked pox and panicked every time they touched it.

-End rant.

The alcohol has clearly clouded your vision. I could not disagree more on your assessment of Hawksley. First half he was clearly best on ground. He showed poise, speed, positioning, awareness, courage, good hand and foot skills off the ball hard work, plus lots more. Not sure what you are looking for in a player but I could not be happier with his progress. At the rate of development he is showing I could only see him becoming an integral part of the best 22.

Stiller? :confused:

He was one of our better performers last night. In fact he has shown enormous improvement in his physicality during the first two NAB cup games and continues to be a ball magnet. He needs to become a bit more damaging with his possessions kick a goal or two to support the forwards and we have another quality midfielder in the rotation system.

Mitch Clark is going to be unstoppable as a third tall next to B1 & B2. Absolutely unstoppable.

Too true.

I can't understand why people are so impatient with KPP (not you blokes but just BF in general), Matthews was pointing this out quite frequently how it takes 3-4-5 years for KPP to fill out and match their frames.

Brief comments; IMHO

Redden – I could not be more impressed with his second game. From what I have seen thus far he possesses all the attributes to be an elite midfielder. Repeat; - an elite midfielder. Does he have the will? Only time will tell.
Pity about missing the opportunity to win the game for us, but It is all part of the learning curve. I have a real warm glowing feeling about JR. Probably the youngest on the field last night but I can only salivate at the prospect of two or three years of fine tuning by Vossy and the staff.

Dalziel - The guy racks up the possessions but why do I get the feeling that other clubs are happy to let him have the ball in his hands. His penetration, damage and influence on the game is ZILCH. For a midfielder with his numbers last night, we should have iced the game by a fair margin. Vossy should get the old tapes of Cousins and sit Dalza in front of a TV and make him watch endlessly.

pretty good hit out by the boys, was great to see them stick it to the bombers in the last quarter. Was a few times during that game where they lost the run and carry game plan and it went very still, but the 4th they got back to it with instant results. When we run and carry, it opens up our forward line and gives our forwards a real crack.

Most impressed with Hawksley and Redden. Hawksley had great vision to not panic and picked the right target to handball too, as well as made good position to get the ball as well. Redden was just fantastic for a young guy, can't wait to see what he will do in 2 seasons time.

As a team, we played very well considering we were missing our top 5 midfielders in Black, Power, Trapper, Brennan and Riska. That is a lot of midfield experience and talant to be missing, and it showed. With many young players, it was a real rag tag put together midfield, but we nearly pulled it off. Very promising signs, pitty we didn't get the win.

Too true.

I can't understand why people are so impatient with KPP (not you blokes but just BF in general), Matthews was pointing this out quite frequently how it takes 3-4-5 years for KPP to fill out and match their frames.

Agreed, He was nearly the difference in the game. You have a seriously talented player on your hands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I missed last weeks game so it was good to finally see the boys - although I have to say I did spend majority of the game asking "who's that?". Note: check players' numbers before next game.

Yeah we lost but I was extremely happy with how the game turned out. The run out of the back looks to have improved so much since last year, already. It is a relief to see them attempting to run it out, down the middle, and quickly, rather than stuffing around like they did so many times last year. The tackling pressure was also excellent, especially in the second half. They all seem to be pretty determined and tough - they do look like they are running around like a bunch of mini Vossy's - that Proud bump was great.

Individually there were some positive signs from McGrath, Clark - who I can't wait to see alongside B1 and B2 when they are all back in, Rich - who looks to be all he has been talked up to be, and also good signs from Redden - I wouldn't worry to much about the last kick.

The skills still aren't up to scratch and the goal kicking was a big let down but I am just happy enough to see the tackling, the running out of the back, and running the game out till it's ended, not half time.

I agree with the "Hawksley was good" comments - so was Polkinghorne... his best game so far ,I thought - a couple of rapid improvers there IMO with just a handful of games at Senior level between them.

Dalziell gets so much uncontested ball he must be running opponents off their feet,particularly in the defensive half and I like his disposal....usually finds his man - I'm sure one day his role could be more of a goal oriented one - and he will deliver - still less than ten games at top level.

Okay i will expand on my points about Selwood and Stiller, on second thoughts i will concentrate on Stiller because my thoughts on Selwood are well known.

I am a fan of Phyllis, but his confidence has been eroded over the last 12 months, his strengths were his endurance running ability, kicking and most of all his positional play, i think he has tried to be turned into an inside player and it has exposed some of his weaknesses such as lack of speed, poor awareness and his trouble with making correct decisions with the ball in traffic.

My statement about the list passing him by is basically me saying that at this point in time Proud, Harding, Dalziell, Hawksley, Rich, Collier, Redden seem to have more of a ceiling and hurt factor.

I also think the Dalziell critics are being a bit unfair, Razzle is a link footballer who by hand or foot helps other break lines. He is also a release target, because the blokes works his bum off he is often the short pass target when there aren't any other options because he works his opponent over.

Stiller? :confused:

He was one of our better performers last night. In fact he has shown enormous improvement in his physicality during the first two NAB cup games and continues to be a ball magnet. He needs to become a bit more damaging with his possessions kick a goal or two to support the forwards and we have another quality midfielder in the rotation system.
Only saw the first and last quarters last night but Stiller looked very good I thought. In fact, he was the one guy who I felt safe offering an opinion on because I really liked the way he went about it. Disposal looks improved and there just seems to be a higher degree of physicality in his play. He's never going to play like a Voss or Ricciuto but he certainly didn't avoid contact. Certainly in calculations now for round 1.

A quick note. It seems to me that with the wider introduction of zonal defence that kick-in strategies are (obviously) more important than ever. A big change that I can see is that you don't want your best kick in the goal square. No matter how good a kick that player is, chances are that the opposition has covered the most dangerous areas already, meaning that the kick-in becomes a short pass, wasting the kicking effectiveness of a Drummo type.

I would look closely at setting up your "expert" in kick ins as the second or even third option, preferably moving the ball quickly from one option to another, hoping to get the ball to the kicking expert at a time and in a place that means that he can use his elite kicking before the zone has time to re-form. Last night in the 4th quarter, it frustrated me to see Drummo in the square but clearly Essendon had covered all the options. You may as well have Selwood there if the option is going to be a short pass to the pocket - then try and isolate Drummo with a switch or a releasing handball etc.

In some ways a good game to lose, as it gives us two games in Qld to round out the pre-season comp (I'm pretty sure), instead of one and possibly two more away games...
Cairns next week. That's like going to Melbourne...but only hotter and more humid.

I have no intention of offending anyone, and I'm not here to pick a fight. But it's important to remember that it was against Essendon's young, second tier midfield as well.

They may have had their first tier forward line (rusty as they were) but their midfield is definitely not the one you'll see in the main season. They were missing Welsh, Stanton, Prismall, Reimers, Houli, and Mcveigh had little TOG. All of these players are definites in their 22.

Again, I'm not insulting anyone or anything, just reminding you that it is hard to rate either teams performance tonight, seeing as they were both severely under-strength sides.

I think what you are saying is entirely valid and that some of the reaction here is completely OTT.

I’m not saying that our midfield last night would compete with a full strength opposition. Just that I saw plenty of improvement in the likes of Hawksley, Stiller, Harding, Polkinghorne, Proud and Burger. I also thought I saw fantastic signs in Redden (in particular) and Rich.

We have had several years of leaving too much to too few in the midfield. I am extremely encouraged that the above group (plus Rischitelli and Dalziell) are going to offer fantastic support to the likes of Black, Power, Johnstone and Brennan.

I think what you are saying is entirely valid and that some of the reaction here is completely OTT.

I’m not saying that our midfield last night would compete with a full strength opposition. Just that I saw plenty of improvement in the likes of Hawksley, Stiller, Harding, Polkinghorne, Proud and Burger. I also thought I saw fantastic signs in Redden (in particular) and Rich.

We have had several years of leaving too much to too few in the midfield. I am extremely encouraged that the above group (plus Rischitelli and Dalziell) are going to offer fantastic support to the likes of Black, Power, Johnstone and Brennan.
What about my favrite player jed adcock in the midfield!

it'll be a very interesting game, methinks, in terms of styles and structures. essendon are determined to get games into gumbleton and neagle, even if it means playing 4 tall forwards. how we can make this work, i'm not sure, and i suspect there will be a lot of teething problems with how they all interact. having said that, if they do have a system worked out, who will you guys use on them? if the ball hits the ground, you should be able to run it out well given vossy seems to like the numbers at half back style.

it could actually become quite a rebounding contest between two forward 50's that aren't working smoothly.

not too inaccurate, as it turns out. :mad: yes, it's only feb, but all footy fans should be concerned with where the game style has moved to. that was attrocious football last night, and four of the other NAB matches i have seen have been just as bad. it's gonna be an ugly year if sides are regularly winning with scores in the 60's and 70's.

I would look closely at setting up your "expert" in kick ins as the second or even third option, preferably moving the ball quickly from one option to another, hoping to get the ball to the kicking expert at a time and in a place that means that he can use his elite kicking before the zone has time to re-form. Last night in the 4th quarter, it frustrated me to see Drummo in the square but clearly Essendon had covered all the options. You may as well have Selwood there if the option is going to be a short pass to the pocket - then try and isolate Drummo with a switch or a releasing handball etc.

Won't opposition teams simply man up Drummond in that case?

I certainly wouldn't concede the short pass to Hodge.

Remove this Banner Ad

NAB Cup Round 2 - Essendon v Brisbane Lions Official Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back