Bumped NAB Cup - Three things you'd like to see (#123 p5)

Remove this Banner Ad

apart from the lack of injuries, I would most like to see a Collingwood team with much improved kicking skills.

Like to see Jono Marsh get an extended run.

I don't want to see anything too experimental in this NAB cup. We have recruited 3 players this off season we expect to be best 22 so that is more than enough changes without trying to manufacture more.

That said, I think there were a few areas that we really came short last year from a playing perspective. One area we were not even close to being competitive was at the centre bounce stoppages and clearances from these. I think this is largely due to our rucks not winning clean hitouts. Both Grundy and Witts need plenty of development in this area and it is a real weakness in the side.

Second was we really lack a damaging half back flanker, someone you can rely on to hit up targets and win 20+ possessions for the team. Many are suggesting Varcoe but he is a 15-20 possession player so I think we use him more forward of the ball as a nippy forward.

So with all that in mind I would like to see:

1) Crisp used off half back. He has pace, is a good kick, good one on one and is a proven ball winner. I think he could be really good for us as our sixth defender and generating drive for us. If he can play that role, that is massive for the team.

2) Cox used as the main centre bounce ruckman to see if he is an option in this role. If he can be better than Grundy and Witts at the centre bounces we will be better as a team. I think we need to try it.

3) Treloar, Aish and Howe used in the roles we recruited them for. Treloar in the middle, Aish on the wing, Howe high half forward. No need to experiment with these guys just get them gelling as much as possible with the team before the season starts when we will be relying on them performing.

Last edited:
I would like to see Maccaffer return to his tagging role he was so damn good at when he began. Contrary to what others say, I think his tagging is quite valuable. I would like to see Moore become a goto man. Oppositions need to not be able to double team cloke so easly in assumption of a forward entry. I want to see Tooves return to his best. I want to see Adam Oxley on the wing. He wrecked for us in his first season, was so sad to see him get injured.

I want finals obviously. I want people to take the stress of buckley. I'm proud of him and what he has achieved, the hard decisions had to be made for a bright future.

P.S would it be to much to ask if Heath Shaw asked to come home, lol?

P.S.S What do you think our team would look like these days if we kept lumumba? I can't help to think our defense would like a fair bit more solid. However, I don't miss his bullshit in the eye of the public.

I would like to see Maccaffer return to his tagging role he was so damn good at when he began. Contrary to what others say, I think his tagging is quite valuable. I would like to see Moore become a goto man. Oppositions need to not be able to double team cloke so easly in assumption of a forward entry. I want to see Tooves return to his best. I want to see Adam Oxley on the wing. He wrecked for us in his first season, was so sad to see him get injured.

I want finals obviously. I want people to take the stress of buckley. I'm proud of him and what he has achieved, the hard decisions had to be made for a bright future.

P.S would it be to much to ask if Heath Shaw asked to come home, lol?

P.S.S What do you think our team would look like these days if we kept lumumba? I can't help to think our defense would like a fair bit more solid. However, I don't miss his bullshit in the eye of the public.

Lumumba - get ball, dash, caught, that's one step Herieter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A tad bit pessimistic? I mean i've seen him get caught a plenty as well.. But he often broke lines like no others.
However, I prefer to see the best in people especially people who served our fine club.
Yes, better to see the best in people.
Herieter did serve our club well, but I think for him, us, and time, it was best he moved on.
He will always be a premiership player for us, good on him.

A tad bit pessimistic? I mean i've seen him get caught a plenty as well.. But he often broke lines like no others.
However, I prefer to see the best in people especially people who served our fine club.
Marsh will be our new man in line breaking. Frantic with the ball.

Second was we really lack a damaging half back flanker, someone you can rely on to hit up targets and win 20+ possessions for the team. Many are suggesting Varcoe but he is a 15-20 possession player so I think we use him more forward of the ball as a nippy forward.

So with all that in mind I would like to see:

1) Crisp used off half back. He has pace, is a good kick, good one on one and is a proven ball winner. I think he could be really good for us as our sixth defender and generating drive for us. If he can play that role, that is massive for the team.

The reason I'd prefer Varcoe down back then Crisp is because Varcoe doesn't hurt the opposition on the scoreboard enough any more, weather Crisp showed he's a goal kicker and he did kick some important goals last year. Varcoe up forward he's like a better kicking Goldsack, weather down back I he kicks the ball more and uses his speed more. I aslo think Varcoe's number would look better if he played down back the whole year as well.

I really hope Maynard improve's his tank and starts getting his hands on the ball more because I think he has some similar traits to that of Crisps you listed.

The reason I'd prefer Varcoe down back then Crisp is because Varcoe doesn't hurt the opposition on the scoreboard enough any more, weather Crisp showed he's a goal kicker and he did kick some important goals last year. Varcoe up forward he's like a better kicking Goldsack, weather down back I he kicks the ball more and uses his speed more. I aslo think Varcoe's number would look better if he played down back the whole year as well.

I really hope Maynard improve's his tank and starts getting his hands on the ball more because I think he has some similar traits to that of Crisps you listed.

I really like Varcoe. I liked him when we recruited him. I like him even better now. He is a heart and soul player for this club, he takes the game on, he's quick and he has a tonne of composure. But he has his limitations. I don't see him averaging more than that 16-19 range of possessions per game for us. And he is defensively flimsy. I think we need someone down back that can add those extra possessions and be tight.

I see Varcoe as a bit of a utility for us, but would like to see his home up forward. We desperately need pace there, tackling nous and composure. I reckon Varcoe gives us that. We can inject him in the back line when we need a spark.

On Maynard, I thought his performances last year were not anything special. That doesn't worry me overly as he is a first year player and he has plenty of attributes which suggest he will be a good player. He is tough, takes the game on and has a raking kick. But he too was defensively fragile, turned the ball over a lot and didn't win a lot of it. I think he needs a good year in the twos before he works his way back into a permanent best 22 position.

I was really hoping that Scharenberg could add that real class off the half back line for us but that isn't to be this year. Hopefully later. I reckon Crisp gives us what we need off the half back flank in a ready made player that has performances on the board, wins the ball, good one on one, has height, he can tag so I hope he can defend. I think between Reid, Williams, Langdon and Crisp we have a great range of attacking options without compromising our defense. Add Brown at full back and one of Ramsay or Toovey in a back pocket and I think that is really strong good mix.

I really like Varcoe. I liked him when we recruited him. I like him even better now. He is a heart and soul player for this club, he takes the game on, he's quick and he has a tonne of composure. But he has his limitations. I don't see him averaging more than that 16-19 range of possessions per game for us. And he is defensively flimsy. I think we need someone down back that can add those extra possessions and be tight.

I see Varcoe as a bit of a utility for us, but would like to see his home up forward. We desperately need pace there, tackling nous and composure. I reckon Varcoe gives us that. We can inject him in the back line when we need a spark.

On Maynard, I thought his performances last year were not anything special. That doesn't worry me overly as he is a first year player and he has plenty of attributes which suggest he will be a good player. He is tough, takes the game on and has a raking kick. But he too was defensively fragile, turned the ball over a lot and didn't win a lot of it. I think he needs a good year in the twos before he works his way back into a permanent best 22 position.

I was really hoping that Scharenberg could add that real class off the half back line for us but that isn't to be this year. Hopefully later. I reckon Crisp gives us what we need off the half back flank in a ready made player that has performances on the board, wins the ball, good one on one, has height, he can tag so I hope he can defend. I think between Reid, Williams, Langdon and Crisp we have a great range of attacking options without compromising our defense. Add Brown at full back and one of Ramsay or Toovey in a back pocket and I think that is really strong good mix.

mike123

I see Varcoe as a logical Blair replacement permanently i50. Not a fan of him playing out of defence but loved him on the wing/up forward. He is more damaging and a far scarier prospect to the opposition than Blair whilst also bringing that manic pressure. We'll likely need space in the forward line to add Howe and chopping Blair and moving Varcoe there from half-forward could create that slot.

I agree with this - I am astounded by the number of people who think Maynard will be a star based on last year's output. I know he is only a first year player, but he didn't really do anything all that good, and his supposed main strength (his kicking) wasn't that great - turned the ball over a lot, and didn't show strong precision or trajectory.

Looks to me like he might become a good solid defensive type HBF, but nothing special in my book. I have Langdon, Scharenberg, Ramsay, Williams, and probably Sinclair ahead of him for small defenders younger than 24 on our list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bumped NAB Cup - Three things you'd like to see (#123 p5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back