Game Day NAB R1 v Geelong @SS, Wed Feb 12 7.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Scored the AFL app subscription as a birthday present. Will get the NAB Challenge and all Pies game now instead of some of the borefests involving the Lions and Suns.

Looking forward to seeing Broomhead and Freeman. Also looking to see what Armstrong can bring.

Can't say in all honesty that I won't be disappointd if we lose because regardless of whether this comp actually means anything, I always think early wins set up the team psyche for later on. That said, win or lose I am pumped that the footy's back and nobody will be moving me off the couch tonight! :thumbsu:

wont be long before the home and away season is only shown on foxtel
Used to be the common man's game, not any more. The AFL have taken it away, first admission prices to the ground skyrocket then massive private boxes take away more space and now that pensioners and concession card holders simply can't afford to go to the games, the AFL will sell the free to air rights and totally disenfranchise the original supporters of the game.

Everything is illegal until the law is changed Blaze.

Legal statutes state that a man is innocent until proven guilty.

BUT

If issued with a camera speeding fine not only must you prove your innocence but you must BUY the evidence that may do so.

Considering changing this law would be incredibly unpopular and gain the government nothing I don't see it being changed in the foreseeable future

wont be long before the home and away season is only shown on foxtel
I know this is off topic, but Foxtel just came to a deal with HBO to be the sole provider of Game of Thrones in Australia. This includes people that used to download it through itunes or quickflix. It's a real middle finger to everyone who doesn't have foxtel and enjoys using streaming services.

The footy is a different beast, but the fact they are throwing so much money at the AFL makes me think their long term plan is to take the AFL away from FTA.

With moves like these, and no real competitors in Australia we'll soon see Foxtel as the only choice for watching any television in Australia.

Anyway, back to the topic, I am getting swept up in the emotion of Broomhead playing tonight... Hopefully Freeman doesn't get stuck with a tag... I heard the ground down there can be a little wet, that should suit Marsh... Good to see White pulling on the Black... I hope Addam's family is there to see him, hopefully he is lively early in the game and doesn't fester... Ok I'm done.

Considering changing this law would be incredibly unpopular and gain the government nothing I don't see it being changed in the foreseeable future
Considering the GST and anti-union legislation were incredibly unpopular I would beg to disagree blaze.

If the government is convinced they can get away with it they will do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL would be far smarter to keep the rights to themselves and have it as a purely digital thing. That way you can watch it on your computer or on your TV using an Apple TV or some AFL alternative. They would make a killing! I'd pay 100-200 a year for that.

I know this is off topic, but Foxtel just came to a deal with HBO to be the sole provider of Game of Thrones in Australia. This includes people that used to download it through itunes or quickflix. It's a real middle finger to everyone who doesn't have foxtel and enjoys using streaming services.

The footy is a different beast, but the fact they are throwing so much money at the AFL makes me think their long term plan is to take the AFL away from FTA.

With moves like these, and no real competitors in Australia we'll soon see Foxtel as the only choice for watching any television in Australia.

Anyway, back to the topic, I am getting swept up in the emotion of Broomhead playing tonight... Hopefully Freeman doesn't get stuck with a tag... I heard the ground down there can be a little wet, that should suit Marsh... Good to see White pulling on the Black... I hope Addam's family is there to see him, hopefully he is lively early in the game and doesn't fester... Ok I'm done.
If foxtel get sole television rights for everything I'll simply sell my TV and download whatever content I want. I WILL NOT be forced into supporting such blatant privatization of the television network this country has built up since the dawn of television.

I think we'll notice Armstrong has been hitting the gym :oops:

The AFL would be far smarter to keep the rights to themselves and have it as a purely digital thing. That way you can watch it on your computer or on your TV using an Apple TV or some AFL alternative. They would make a killing! I'd pay 100-200 a year for that.
If the AFL or Collingwood created an IPTV channel of reasonable quality I'd banish Foxtel forever.

If foxtel get sole television rights for everything I'll simply sell my TV and download whatever content I want. I WILL NOT be forced into supporting such blatant privatization of the television network this country has built up since the dawn of television.
Agree! AFL is not just a sport it's a god damn ****ing cultural institution that needs to be protected!

The only problem I can see is that they would have to organise their own filming of the games. That is something that they wouldn't want to branch into at this stage, down the track though, who knows. I'd pay for it. NFL gamepass is the greatest thing ever.

The only problem I can see is that they would have to organise their own filming of the games. That is something that they wouldn't want to branch into at this stage, down the track though, who knows. I'd pay for it. NFL gamepass is the greatest thing ever.
I can't imagine that's as difficult as it appears - Channel 7 does a bang up shit job showing it in SD in 2014. And I'm sure their cameramen aren't full time so the AFL could poach/em work something out. My dad's eyes moisten when I tell him all about the wonder that is NFL gamepass. Now I'm sure there are a lot of propriety things in there but surely the AFL could buy/rent the software and just plug in the AFL footage. But you watch if they ever do go down this road I bet you they stick with Telstra... useless campaigners.

I can't imagine that's as difficult as it appears - Channel 7 does a bang up shit job showing it in SD in 2014. And I'm sure their cameramen aren't full time so the AFL could poach/em work something out. My dad's eyes moisten when I tell him all about the wonder that is NFL gamepass. Now I'm sure there are a lot of propriety things in there but surely the AFL could buy/rent the software and just plug in the AFL footage. But you watch if they ever do go down this road I bet you they stick with Telstra... useless Syds.
I reckon they'd just hire or set up a production company to manage it... too easy!

I cannot see main games going off free to air, simply Foxtel show the games no one really watched and free to air don't really want to televise. Seven have a bigger budget for footy compared with Foxtel. Also it is not in the AFL's interest to remove from free to air because they would loose allot of viewers

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day NAB R1 v Geelong @SS, Wed Feb 12 7.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back