Game Day NAB R1 v Geelong @SS, Wed Feb 12 7.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Keefe a concern, too much handball coming out of congested backline at times and a bit soft on a few tackles.

Otherwise very happy!

For our game against Richmond I want to see how we go without Lynch in the team, playing a forward line of Cloke, White and Reid with White taking the 2nd ruck duties. I didn't get to see much of White rucking tonight and if we do expect Lynch to be depth only then we need to make sure we can use White as a decent ruck option

Good to see big Jesse continuing his new found form into 2014. Despite his frustratingly slow development most Swans fans grew pretty fond of the guy. He always showed just enough to tell us that he had it. If Buckley can get his marking sorted out you'll have a potent forward on your hands. Good luck with Armstrong too.

Can't see a spot in the 22 for Q.

Backup only.

Their's glaciers that move faster than him, along with the injuries and lack of game awareness from Yagmoor there weren't too many negatives.

To positives their was plenty to like, but what really stood out was that we were able to adjust on the fly. To half time we were overdoing the handball and falling away with our structures. From that point on we had them covered by 3-4 goals and looked the better team with those two areas particularly improved.

There was a number of individual positives as well, but it's worth remembering that we saw those early last year too so I'll hold off on them.

Quick question, who showed the most run and carry out of defense? Which players were confident enough to run and take a few bounces.

Keefe a concern, too much handball coming out of congested backline at times and a bit soft on a few tackles.

Otherwise very happy!
Agreed but tonite wasn't really normal circs. We played a very experienced team on their home turf with a relatively inexperienced team AND with other key defenders missing. So for much of the night the backline were under seige, especially as Penders didn't play the full game and Swan was missing. It meant we weren't getting as much possession up ground which put more pressure on him.

I'll reserve my judgement until we see him play in a fleshed out team in the season proper.

He's slowed down drastically though he is still getting around double figure hitouts in the second ruck position, do we have anyone that can fullfill that role adequately and kick goals regularly?
Jesse White often played second ruck for the Swans. What he lacks in height he makes up for in mobility.

You still own us for Andrew Schauble and Paul Williams who both won your B&F, not to mention Nick Davis getting you into a winning Grand Final. We will take Kieran Jack and Hannebery and we will call it even
Nah, Jack's co-captain and a Sydney boy as well so he's off limits unfortunately. But close your eyes for a second, and imagine a Collingwood team that has two Ben Reids in it. We can give you the next best thing...

Quick question, who showed the most run and carry out of defense? Which players were confident enough to run and take a few bounces.

For mine it was Ramsay.

Armstrong lacked confidence with ball in hand, Yagmoor similarly, Clarke was treacle slow and Langdon played a largely negating role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well if you insist on taking a generalization to heart be my guest - if you want to be pedantic about it fine.

Kennedy showed plenty agreed and Maxy is on the cusp, can still do good things but is showing his age and is really hanging on by his fingernails.
I'm not offended or being pedantic, I just thought we weren't horribly weak. Still, great effort by the guys to be right there at the end because I didn't expect us to be. Add Swan and Thomas to the ever growing midfield and Reid and Brown down back to bolster the leaky defence and possibly toovs if he gets right, and we look stronger.

I think the cats moved the ball by foot far better than us, especially in the first half and early second. We looked good when we took the game on. We did get a little handball happy early too. Hopefully we are fitter than 2013 come the business end of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thx for that bungee, nice to have some informed opinion. The lad is certainly astonishingly mobile for his side, if we can only get that marking sorted he could be a stand out.

He used to get pushed aside in body on body work but he seems to be much better. Allowing him to use his athleticism finally got him going for the Swans last year. The confidence spread. His marking seems to be all about his hands being too hard. His timing's good. He leads well in straight lines towards the ball carrier and he's clearly a good crumber. He's still a work in progress but I think pretty good value for the pick.

When did Cloke go off? All of last quarter? And pendles sat out the first quarter?

Because it was a PRACTICE game.

I'm not offended or being pedantic, I just thought we weren't horribly weak. Still, great effort by the guys to be right there at the end because I didn't expect us to be. Add Swan and Thomas to the ever growing midfield and Reid and Brown down back to bolster the leaky defence and possibly toovs if he gets right, and we look stronger.

I think the cats moved the ball by foot far better than us, especially in the first half and early second. We looked good when we took the game on. We did get a little handball happy early too. Hopefully we are fitter than 2013 come the business end of the season.

Agree we certainly appear to have picked up more than useful depth and also agree taking the game on is the key, after all that appears to be the way Bucks is trying to mould the team. Kids still learning and fitting into the team will be a bit tentative at first so I'm not particularly worried at this stage.

A good hit out with enough good signs from youngsters and mature age recruits to give promise to the season.

He used to get pushed aside in body on body work but he seems to be much better. Allowing him to use his athleticism finally got him going for the Swans last year. The confidence spread. His marking seems to be all about his hands being too hard. His timing's good. He leads well in straight lines towards the ball carrier and he's clearly a good crumber. He's still a work in progress but I think pretty good value for the pick.
I don't know what it is with some guys - Dawes was a bloody fine forward except for one fault - hands like blocks of cement.

PendleGun2_zps0a23bfc1.gif

Lots to be satisfied with tonight. Stand out for me amongst that group that we need to emerge was Frost. He will become our 'third' tall defender before the season gets much older.
Re Q, i for one, hope he play against the Tigers. Grundy needs all the rest he can get given the workload ahead. We know he is a talent but lets dampen the expectations a little; he is going to need alot of help to get through the year as a significant contributor..

Jesse White needs to work on his marking, otherwise a great start.

Adams will be a serious player for us, needs a touch more polish but gee he does a lot right.

I think Tom Langdon will play 200 games for us, loved the way he went about it.

Id be stunned if Marsh makes it, but would happily be proven wrong.

Beams, Ball, Pendles, Cloke etc all looked great.

Grundy just did what he had to, looking forward to seeing him get stuck into the season proper.

Armstrong, Clarke & Yagmoor are all depth, Yagmoor has me baffled.

Q-Stick is cooked.

Ben Kennedy was great, looks like he's gained some composure and slowed down his disposal.

Marley Williams.........Marley Williams, what a player he has turned into.

Jamie Elliot showed glimpses

Overall I was pretty satisfied with the effort from the boys, kicking needs to lift and some general clean ball handling, but hopefully that will come with gametime, go pies

Marley is an absolute jet... He is a living testament that sometimes injuries are good. Without Toovey going down we would never have discovered this kid properly.

Broomhead was unlucky to get injured. At this stage he is significantly behind his two SA comrades, Grundy and Kennedy. After Broomhead's selection in the draft, O'Brien was taken by Hawthorn several picks later, while Hrovat dropped to the Bulldogs at 21. There will be pressure on Broomhead to perform to the same standard as his draft teammates. How long did he spend on the ground before his injured? He appeared to be playing forward early in the game. Didn't seem exceptional at any stage. He is another player of limited stature though Kennedy indicated that he might yet vindicate his high rating in his draft. You just get the feeling that not all these little guys can play together in the side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day NAB R1 v Geelong @SS, Wed Feb 12 7.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back