Game Day NAB R1 v Geelong @SS, Wed Feb 12 7.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Broomhead was unlucky to get injured. At this stage he is significantly behind his two SA comrades, Grundy and Kennedy. After Broomhead's selection in the draft, O'Brien was taken by Hawthorn several picks later, while Hrovat dropped to the Bulldogs at 21. There will be pressure on Broomhead to perform to the same standard as his draft teammates. How long did he spend on the ground before his injured? He appeared to be playing forward early in the game. Didn't seem exceptional at any stage. He is another player of limited stature though Kennedy indicated that he might yet vindicate his high rating in his draft. You just get the feeling that not all these little guys can play together in the side.

This is really no way at all to judge a player. Judging based on draft position and their progress (which is all relative to circumstances) of those around them in that draft. I really hope Broomhead doesn't have this thought in his head. It's completely flawed. I'm sure the club doesn't judge it's players that way. Neither should we as supporters.

That game seemed particularly quick and physically brutal for this time of year, strange to see that in a pre season opener really.

Both teams will probably dial it back a bit now, you couldn't have three games at that pace leading into round 1 I reckon.

Noticeably we used a lot less interchanges than the Cats, obviously planning for the real stuff as they took advantage of the extras allowed.

I'd be quite confident of continuing our winning streak over the Cats this year, they don't frighten me at all, their rucks are weaker than ours.

Lets not pretend that they were anything of the calibre of the virtual AFL side Geelong presented either. Compare the respective experience of the two teams, in that stat we weren't even in the same postcode, let alone the ballpark.
I come in peace.

With all due respect, I'm not sure last nights game gave you much insight into your fortunes for the year.
You're going to have to wait for a game or 2 against opponents that have a decent fitness level.

We did a heavy training session on Monday. What team does that 2 days before a game?
The fact is the club is a long way back fitness wise.

I thought you would have run all over us in the last quarter.
Let's not forget the team was effectively down 2 players. Burbury (jaw) and Stinger had hamstring tightness before the game so they didn't use him.

I know you had more kids with zero games.
But let's also not forget that 7 guys who played in our prelim didn't play last night.

Yes sure, some have been traded etc. But that's still a massive change in team composition.

It's just food for thought.

We dont know where either team stands right now.

Im a pie supporter and I agree these games mean nothing wait till mid year and see where we are at....must say jesse white....exciting

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

I come in peace.

With all due respect, I'm not sure last nights game gave you much insight into your fortunes for the year.
You're going to have to wait for a game or 2 against opponents that have a decent fitness level.

We did a heavy training session on Monday. What team does that 2 days before a game?

Let's not forget the team was effectively down 2 players. Burbury (jaw) and Stinger had hamstring tightness before the game so they didn't use him.

But let's also not forget that 7 guys who played in our prelim didn't play last night.

Yes sure, some have been traded etc. But that's still a massive change in team composition.

We did overrun you in the last two quarters but one goal from two consequecutive hail Mary torps and another from a shit centre bounce that should have been recalled but wasn't and a soft-ish free kick to tomma crueled our chances.

Great fighting effort by both teams and a bloody entertaining game to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I come in peace.

I tend to think that with the two injuries we had as well, plus the inexperience of our line up and our underutilisation of rotations things evened themselves out. Great signs for both teams though as the standard was quite high for a pre-season match, with the dew being the main limiting factor, which the players will obviously adapt to.

In fact the only negatives I took out of the game for either team besides injuries was our overuse of the handball at times (which has been covered in here) and you guys don't really appear to be any closer to knowing who will partner Hawkins.

Vardy's the one most likely, but he was largely ineffectual. Brown was good in patches, but I don't know if he's the answer long term and Walker probably isn't going to be striking fear into the hearts of opposition either...

I come in peace.

Agreed we cannot have an insight into standings of teams, but we can take positives out of it. Sounds like your making allot of excuses about training workloads and players missing. Pies had 2 players injured during game as well and had allot more Senior players out than Geelong.

Going on last night I would say both sides would be happy

Vardy will get time to settle there now. He had to ruck last year so that didn't help his development.
Walker is insurance only. Brown.... jury is out. The guy can play, just not sure where. Some say VFL :)

I thought the best thing about the game was each sides attitude to get the ball, and to tackle when they didn't have it.
You're dead as a team these days without those attributes.

Agreed we cannot have an insight into standings of teams, but we can take positives out of it. Sounds like your making allot of excuses about training workloads and players missing. Pies had 2 players injured during game as well and had allot more Senior players out than Geelong.

Going on last night I would say both sides would be happy

Nah mate.
I said a few days ago on our board that I think we lack fitness.
I actually selected you to win btw based on that fact / guess.

I don't understand the heavy training load excuse. We are a month out from round 1... Do people think we are somehow not training hard this time of year too?

Nah mate.
I said a few days ago on our board that I think we lack fitness.
I actually selected you to win btw based on that fact / guess.

Though it was still Tough Game and Players where throwing the Bodies Around like a Home and Away Game

I don't understand the heavy training load excuse. We are a month out from round 1... Do people think we are somehow not training hard this time of year too?
It's not an excuse. It's just the situation.

New fitness program. Far less cross training over preseason and far heavier loads in Feb / Mar.
We have no idea of the effects or benefits yet. That's why I'm saying, we have no idea where we are yet.

It's not an excuse. It's just the situation.

New fitness program. Far less cross training over preseason and far heavier loads in Feb / Mar.
We have no idea of the effects or benefits yet. That's why I'm saying, we have no idea where we are yet.

I think what Bloben is saying is that both teams would be training hard at this stage of pre-season.

Vardy will get time to settle there now. He had to ruck last year so that didn't help his development.
Walker is insurance only. Brown.... jury is out. The guy can play, just not sure where. Some say VFL :)

I thought the best thing about the game was each sides attitude to get the ball, and to tackle when they didn't have it.
You're dead as a team these days without those attributes.

Shane Kersten... where does he sit in all this ? i was hoping to see him get a run last night. I had thought he was going to be a promising forward with much opportinuty to go alongside hawkins this year.

What happened? Looks like his tooth is missing.

312992.jpg

Was this after he was cleaned up by Johnson in the last term?

He might be in a bit of trouble looking at that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day NAB R1 v Geelong @SS, Wed Feb 12 7.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back