_Interpol_

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2008
Down on the corner
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Sth Dragons, MVFC, Leeds
Everyone has their different opinion on the team, and you could argue a case for most players... But getting named captain is something only a few players are in line for.. my choice is...

Nick Riewoldt

Why: Firstly, Nick has had a stellar season, after a slow start due to injury, he has imposed himself on the competition and shown just why is has been regarded as one of the best forwards getting around. You would think his form gets him in the team, so he is a chance for captain.

He is the leader of his club, and not in the Richie Vandenberg or Darren Glass silent way way. Riewoldt is well spoken off field, and is always avaliable at media announcements, and after games. He is extremly professional. He represents his club well, speaks well and gives his opposition due credit as well. You can't doubt his off field leading is top notch.

On field, he has single handedly dragged St Kilda across the line more times than i can count in 2008. He has thrived being the sole captin of St Kilda, and whenever, and i mean whenever, someone NEEDS to stand up and be counted when st kilda is down, it is him. You can guarantee that he will be presenting, working hard, and revving up his team-mates. If you've watched enough st kilda games, you'll know that the players have been able to look to him for inspiration when down. Mid season, when we were at our lowest, he took it upon himself and basically said "get behind me guys, ill lead the way" - and that is exactly what a captain should do. You can't doubt his on field presence. He never gives up, and is always offering the other guys a word of advice and supporting them.

In my mind, a captain is someone who you associate the club with. When you think of the club, their name should be one that jumps right into your head. A captain does not need to be the clubs best player (while they need to still be good, obviously), they need to be 100% professional, be a true leader, and practice what they preach. I think Nick covers all of these areas..

I don't expect anyone to take this seriously, due to the team i support, but put aside you're dislike for him (because your jealous :p), and honeslty think about the games you've seen him in, and then ask yourself if you think he is deserving. Whether he gets it or not, I don't care, but if there is a deserving player, he is right up there

my other nomination would be Brett Kirk. Along with Roo, one of the most amazing leaders of a club getting round.

Hodge

Shows great leadership on the field, and really rallies the troops. Is calm under pressure and is a fantastic decision maker.

I think his suspension history will mean he won't get it

ill second that!!

RE: Bartel

Captain doesn't just go to best player...

Worthy inclusion, but not for captin. The only one from Geelong with a show is Harley. But i don't think he'll get it

I have Riewoldt JUST making the AA side, bench at best.

Harley, captains the best team, Best floating third tall should get the AA pocket, Other captains liek Judd/Black are only 50/50 for the AA side while Harley is a certainty

Well, lucky for us, you're not a selector.. You probably had half you're team making the side, yet only 3 mad the cut.

Who cares if he is the best teams captain, that doesn't mean much. Did harley get it last year? No.

I have Riewoldt JUST making the AA side, bench at best.

Harley, captains the best team, Best floating third tall should get the AA pocket, Other captains liek Judd/Black are only 50/50 for the AA side while Harley is a certainty
If you honestly think that you are delirious

Matthew Pavlich - end thread.

Care to expand on that?

While he's had a top season, i dont think his leadership has been up to scratch. Has taken the selfish path too often, and while a lot of that is because his team-mates suck, he has not been a veyr good leader this season IMO.

I dont see him as an inspiration, a top talent, yes, i love the pav, but he's been a bit selfish this year IMO

Pav would have to be a real contender he shows leadership on the ground in his ability as well as structure and voice. Also is a good face for a club, clean and respectable as well as a good off field leader and spokesperson for the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Care to expand on that?

While he's had a top season, i dont think his leadership has been up to scratch. Has taken the selfish path too often, and while a lot of that is because his team-mates suck, he has not been a veyr good leader this season IMO.

I dont see him as an inspiration, a top talent, yes, i love the pav, but he's been a bit selfish this year IMO
4 goal assists behind Riewoldt, but hey, dont let facts get in the way of a good old slagging match!

I agree, probably pavlich as the AA captain, so he missed 1-2 shots, he's still the heart and soul of the club and he;s had another terrific year

Riewoldt is well spoken off field, and is always avaliable at media announcements, and after games. He is extremly professional. He represents his club well, speaks well and gives his opposition due credit as well. You can't doubt his off field leading is top notch.

I don't consider Riewoldt a particularly good speaker. Repsonses are painfully predictable and rehearsed. No doubt he sets a great example, but for mine a leader needs a bit of charisma.

My vote (I'll choose a non-hawthorn example to avoid bias)
Tom Harley - although I don't agree with him being AA 100% appears to be the best captain. Now there's a guy who is well spoken. Constantly addressing the team in huddles, as they run out on to the ground etc. Also happens to be captain of the best team (as in the most cohesive and team-oriented) group of players in the league.

honeslty think about the games you've seen him in, and then ask yourself if you think he is deserving. Whether he gets it or not, I don't care, but if there is a deserving player, he is right up there

Seen him cut to pieces by Dale Morris, so No sorry.

I have Riewoldt as mine simply because, like the OP said, he took a team that was going down the shitter and dragged it into the top 4 with a series of inspirational performances and leadership. I'd say he's had more effect on the fortunes of his club than any other captain.

But then again the lines are blurred as to what the AA captaincy represents. After last year we don't even know whether the player has to be captain of their club or not. Someone like Ablett or Richo for instance are exceptional playesr and have leadership qualities so I wouldn't mind seeing them getting it. But Riewoldt is my pick of the actual AFL captains.

4 goal assists behind Riewoldt, but hey, dont let facts get in the way of a good old slagging match!

I agree, probably pavlich as the AA captain, so he missed 1-2 shots, he's still the heart and soul of the club and he;s had another terrific year

They pick captains based on assists now?

Cam mooney has it sewn up.. oh wait, he didnt even make the cut..

I never said pav never dished off the footy, but he has been heavily critisised for playing a selfish role this year, i just don't see him gettin AA captain.. but we'll see...

6 times AA with 1 captaincy in there, gee wizz!

Best Captains in the league

Harley
Brown
Kirk

Maybe Pav and Judd (but too early to grade Judd only after one season at the blues.)

Roo had a stellar 2nd last half of the season but not a good enough 1st half as a player and captain. If he continues this form as a player and a leader into the finals and again next season then yes IMO he will move into the top string of captains in the league.

The HUNs' team, IMO, lacked leadership.

For AA Captain - Harley

Care to expand on that?

I think you are mistaking him being selfish as him believing that he has to be the one to lift for the team to win games. He has tried (only in a few games that I have seen mind you) to lift the team on his own rather than trying to use other options like a run and carry with the ball rather than pass it off. Or go for goal himself rather than kick it too another option in the square. Because he is so talented it usually comes off, but I have seen him caught a few times theres a fine line between being selfish with the ball and trying to lift your team with it.

As a side note, if he had of kicked a few goals when they were needed (you all know which ones im talking about) he would probably be allot closer to AA captain.

Seen him cut to pieces by Dale Morris, so No sorry.

wow, one average game and that rules him out?

you do realise he was playng hurt for the first half of the season.

but anyways, based on your theory, not one player deserves it because everyone has played a bad game

you tool

Remove this Banner Ad

Name your 2008 AA captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Back