Nathan Djerrkura to leave cats

Remove this Banner Ad

In any year without GC concesions would be wroth a pick 34-39 but many teams will be reluctant to trade their second pick

I know this conveniently relates to the team who I support, but I would assume Hawthorn would look at trying to snap him up on account of him being very close friends with Cyril Rioli from their time at Scotch and the likelihood of Cyril's other good friend in Cameron Stokes being delisted at some point in the year.

Would surely consider the Gold Coast. He'd get a much better pay packet than he would at another club and Gold Coast would be extremely keen considering hes come from such a successful environment. Would just come down to whether or not he wants to play there I guess. :thumbsu:

Would surely consider the Gold Coast. He'd get a much better pay packet than he would at another club and Gold Coast would be extremely keen considering hes come from such a successful environment. Would just come down to whether or not he wants to play there I guess. :thumbsu:

Might also come down to Ablett's decision I think.

Good player, never got opportunities. Have no doubt he'll do well elsewhere.

If it's about money, then he'll be GC bound.

If it's just about opportunity then I'd expect Richmond and Hawthorn among others to be keen.

He may also want to move back closer to NT.

I'm sure we'll do what we can to get him where he wants to go.

Can Geelong fans fill the rest of us in about him a little - such as how quick he is, how good a tackler, what roles he's played at VFL level. For some reason (having never seen him play) I have in mind he's a potential Travis Varcoe type. Is that a decent comparison (in terms of potential role, rather than actual current ability)?

Can Geelong fans fill the rest of us in about him a little - such as how quick he is, how good a tackler, what roles he's played at VFL level. For some reason (having never seen him play) I have in mind he's a potential Travis Varcoe type. Is that a decent comparison (in terms of potential role, rather than actual current ability)?

He's quick, not lightning quick, but has genuine speed. Wins inside contested balll, great tackler (laid something like 7 tackles in his senior debut) in fact that's his standout skill. Is very hard bodied and can run all day endurance wise (hence why I've always hoped he'd end up as our tagger). Ideal combination of ability to win the ball but excellent defensive mindset. The only knock on him is his disposal by foot, which I haven't understood because it's serviceable, he's just not a penetrative kick that can set up and switch the play like a few in our side.

I wouldn't compare him to Varcoe, because Varcoe's too unique and it's not a good comparison. I also think he's more an inside player and a mid than a small forward. Having said that he's never really been tried as a small forward because when you have a really young reserves squad as we do, you need your older and bigger bodied players to play midfield, so Nathan's never really had the chance to play anywhere else, and he's probably got the goal sense and definitely the frontal pressure required to make it as a small forward if that's where he ends up.

WCE will go after Djerrkura very hard. Woosha has already stated he wants a crumbing small forward. Id be 90% sure he ends up there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That would be ammusing.

Maybe someone like McKinley or Scott Selwood with Geelong throwing a draft pick in as well.

I would do DJ + pick 40 odd for SS. But they won't trade him anyway. More likely we'll end up with some dud. I'd much prefer an extra pick or a pick upgrade TBH.

McKinley is an ok player but we need tall backs not tall forwards.

Wisbey had a VERY promising write-up on him:

DJERRKURA, Nathan (25 Geelong) [9]

176cm electrifying, fierce, dynamic, quick, clean, take-them-on, relentless ball-carrying dasher. Byron Picket with some Wirrpanda. Breaks the play open. Exciting combination of speed, motor, attack, physicality and natural footballer ability. Despite his height, I think he is likely to be something special. X-factor. Trademarks are (1) Come from nowhere to run opponent down with excellent closing speed and fierce tackle ("silent assassin" ), (2) Take-them-on dash then kick into forward 50 (if not nailed in the process!). Other main selling points are intensity, balance, contested ball ability, agility, endurance, overhead, consistency, evasion, traffic management, versatility. Gives away an avg 3 frees per game, virtually all through either (over-)ambitiously taking opponents on and getting nailed, or through over-zealous tackles. He's a smart kid and I'm confident he will learn to be more judicious. Regardless, even though 3 FAs a game is not what a coach would normally like to see, I think it is more than balanced by the pressure he puts opponents under (a la Davey, but with brutality) and the number of times he is actually successful in breaking the play open with his daring. i.e. If you want the benefits of his attack on the man and opening up of the play, you should expect to have to wear occasional slip-ups. Benefit greatly outweighs cost in Djerrkura's case. (I'd rather a kid who dares to dare than one who plays introverted). He is as quick as any '06 draftee. He is as good and as reliable in the air as most of the other good smalls/mediums who are good overhead. Usually a good kick and his disposals often hurt. Has the dash, daring and hurt factor you want from an outside player, the hardness and in-close ability you want from an inside player, plays tall, is versatile, is footballer and athlete in equal doses, is a great kid who will be very coachable, and doesn't have a "go home" query. Add endurance, physicality and ethic (both ways) to that and IMHO no other kid in this draft can lay better claim to that package of traits. I'm less hung up on height than many people are. Recent premiership teams, Brownlow high voters and AA teams prove there is always a place for a smaller player if he is special enough in certain areas or as a package. I rated Djerrkura quite a lot earlier than I knew he would go but am very confident he will be very good AFL. Except for (arguably) height, he is made for today's game and could play anywhere down the flanks. Probably best suited to HBF or wing in his early AFL days. Could play BP too but I believe his talents are best utilised where he can afford more risks. In the backline, will be able to supply both Pickett-like pressure as well as plenty of run out of defence and hardball get ability. Down the track I think he could be a good AFL onballer. Has the capacity to potentially be a run-with or even an inside mid. No doubts about his tank or speed or hardness and he is quite clean under pressure (both getting and disposing). And he should be virtually plug 'n play. Bargain.

I would think he'd either end up at GC17 or stay within Victoria with a Melbourne club, as he boarded there in high school and there is no option to 'go home'.

pt_scotch_ent-lead__200x272.jpg

Chuck Rhan Hooper in there and that's a pretty decent midfield/HFF

I liked him a lot as a junior and I am sure someone will give him a good go. If he is sensible he will go where they promise him some midfield time rather than sticking him up forward where I am not sure he is best suited. He reminds me a lot of Albert Proud and Proud has the same issues at the Lions with him being a midfielder playing for a team in desparate need of a small forward.

He is also a very talented artist. I saw some of his work when he was at school and I was very impressed. Hopefully he is still doing that.

WCE will go after Djerrkura very hard. Woosha has already stated he wants a crumbing small forward. Id be 90% sure he ends up there.
I'd imagine the Bulldogs will be very keen as well, a small forward who can run in the middle when needed. If he has a tank, we have a wing free as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nathan Djerrkura to leave cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back