NCFL Central discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Another great era. Only minor premiers in 1991, 93. Finished 2nd and had to go through the prelim in each year of the 95-97 three peat years. Donald only lost 1 H&A game between 96-97, but lost both Grand Finals
Bloodbath of 91 at Wedderburn would rank as the most brutal NCFL grand final. Some dog acts perpetrated that day and not just confined to the field. Saints involved in a couple of not so glorious times on grand final days.

It’s a hard one because they have about 100 “locals”. I’ll be watching Ultima today and I was told the other night only 8 came through their juniors. I imagine half of Sea Lakes side didn’t play juniors for them. I mainly follow central Murray and I imagine half of Kerang side today won’t have played juniors for them and they have a town of 4,000, Nyah probably have a dozen or so.
Just looking at the Kerang side. 16 of them went to school in Kerang, 15 of them played juniors there. The one who didn't. Gregor Knight, who only went there due to Quamby folding.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just looking at the Kerang side. 16 of them went to school in Kerang, 15 of them played juniors there. The one who didn't. Gregor Knight, who only went there due to Quamby folding.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app
If Birchip recruit all the Nully locals who school there then does that make them a more local based side?
North Central clubs don’t really have the ability to recruit from local minor league clubs because they don’t exist.

If Birchip recruit all the Nully locals who school there then does that make them a more local based side?
North Central clubs don’t really have the ability to recruit from local minor league clubs because they don’t exist.
Exactly. The reality is, most clubs in NCFL need 10-12 recruits/travellers every year to fill a team. The fact Nullawil, with a population of about 50, can do it and be competitive is a massive credit to them.

But how can you do it inside the rules. And don't say Nully and the Bulls do. Great on them but.
You probably can’t do it. The alternative is teams folding all over the state because they can’t fill teams, destroying communities. Which is why I think the points and salary cap need be scrapped.

Apparently the grapevine out Wimmera way is suggesting that the Jeparit-Rainbow Storm and the Southern Mallee Giants are considering a union.

There is also talk that this team, most likely to be based in Beulah or Hopetoun, could well find its way towards the NCFL instead of one of the Wimmera leagues.

Last edited:
Apparently the grapevine out Wimmera way is suggesting that the Jeparit-Rainbow Storm and the Southern Mallee Giants are considering a union.

There is also talk that this team, most likely to be based in Warracknabeal, could well find its way towards the NCFL instead of one of the Wimmera leagues.Wow 😳
imagine the financial power they would have! Another club to go head to head with nully and Birchip in the who can rort the salary cap the most completion!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

imagine the financial power they would have! Another club to go head to head with nully and Birchip in the who can rort the salary cap the most completion!
Certainly not defending any team in anyway but all teams rort it in some variation.

Jobs are created for out of towners that have nicer pay rates, houses get done up, player x pays for a beer with a $20 note and gets $300 change. You think of it and it's probably happening at all clubs across the way in varying forms and sizes of rorting. The clubs that say they aren't probably just need to get better at it unfortunately as it seems to be the way its all going.

As I said not pinning this on one team but this is a problem across the entirety of local footy. The salary cap just doesn't work.

There is also talk that this team, most likely to be based in Warracknabeal, could well find its way towards the NCFL instead of one of the Wimmera leagues.

How is this going to work? Warracknabeal already have a side?

More travel for NCFL clubs if this is the case. Those 2 merging would be very competitive in North Central I imagine

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Hopetoun play cricket in the Wimmera/Mallee comp so only extended travel would be Boort/Wedderburn as all towns north are involved except Nulli and Sea Lake wouldnt be affected with any extra travel

Last edited:
Boort could look to make a move to either of the Golden Rivers or Loddon Valley if they think travel might be an issue
Boort to Hay isnt? Dont think Loddon Valley is going to exist for much longer going forward. Still not much said about HDFL accepting Marong and Maiden Gully. Once they r gone the LVFL is stuffed, Besides Boort won the under 17 flag so have something to work with going forward. Injuries stuffed their season.

Remove this Banner Ad

NCFL Central discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back