Opinion Neale v Bont v Pendlebury v Cripps

Who is better?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

No, you tell me.

Because you're debating the statement 'Cripps had an average game in the Elimination Final'.

For a player who polled 45 Brownlow votes, to not be rated in the best 5 players on the ground by either coach would surely have to be considered an 'average game', right.

Come on, use your words....
Fadgey if you'd like to define what an 'average' game is then I'm more than happy to respond. But there's almost no universe in which 31 & 1 with 16 CP is an 'average' game.

He wasn't in the vote because his team got belted, not because he didn't play well.

Fadgey if you'd like to define what an 'average' game is then I'm more than happy to respond. But there's almost no universe in which 31 & 1 with 16 CP is an 'average' game.

He wasn't in the vote because his team got belted, not because he didn't play well.
Rubbish.

Plenty of players receive coaches votes despite their team getting belted.

When Cripps isn't rated in the best 5 players on the ground by either coach, it's an average game for a player who is at the peak of his powers, and one of the better players in the competition.

You need to judge a player's performance by looking at more than a stats sheet...

Brownlow votes/accolades doesn't make one better than the other.

My ranking:

1. Pendlebury
2. Bont
3. Neale
4. Cripps
Even if you go off accolades its pretty accurate, the flag elevates Neale. I think Neale probably should have won the Norm Smith

Pendlebury - 2 Flags, 1 AFLCA, 1 Norm Smith

Neale - 1 Flag, 2 Brownlows, 1 AFLCA

Bont - 1 Flag, 1 AFLCA

Cripps - 2 Brownlows

The coaches dont seem to rate Cripps as highly as the umps, which makes sense

Even if you go off accolades its pretty accurate, the flag elevates Neale. I think Neale probably should have won the Norm Smith

Bont - 1 Flag, 1 AFLCA

Cripps - 2 Brownlows

Tbf Cripps has the highest polling season in the coaches votes of any of these players with 113.

Bont - 1 Flag, 1 AFLCA

Cripps - 2 Brownlows

No mention of MVP awards which Bont,Cripps,Neale have all won but not Pendles? It's more prestigious then the coaches gong (probably wrongly).

Flags shouldn't be a leading factor in this discussion (norm smith should be though). More of a tie breaker.

Also, Cripps has finished 2nd in the CA award twice and also finished 5th and 6th. They must rate him but the brownlow voting system clearly benefits him more (rewards standout performance vs consistency)

Pendleburry has never finished top 5 aside from the season he won.

pendles might be the most consistent player the game has seen + his longevity is unrivalled. one of the best users of the footy ive seen with unreal vision. i dont think any of the other 3's 'peak' has been at the level of a Dusty/Fyfe which could put them ahead of pendles just yet.

What are we basing this off? who is the better player or who has had the better career?

Bont > Neale > Pendles > Cripps

I feel like Neale has improved his damage over the last 2-3 years.
I used to not rate him as high, I mean he once had 51 disposals against us and lost.

I respect Pendles more than anything & has been one of the Pies most consistent great players best traits are the professionalism & longevity.

They have all good careers let's be real, Carlton fans will hate me for putting Cripps last but like I said it's all close.
I think Cripps having no Premiership has to be rated last now he could still win won "hopefully not" haha

But there is still time for him. Pendles in all serious has probably the best career overall but Neale putting together probably the best resume.

Last edited:
No mention of MVP awards which Bont,Cripps,Neale have all won but not Pendles? It's more prestigious then the coaches gong (probably wrongly).

Flags shouldn't be a leading factor in this discussion (norm smith should be though). More of a tie breaker.

Also, Cripps has finished 2nd in the CA award twice and also finished 5th and 6th. They must rate him but the brownlow voting system clearly benefits him more (rewards standout performance vs consistency)

Pendleburry has never finished top 5 aside from the season he won.
There were a few awards I left off like AA and Bnf's too, i dont think they change the order, maybe Neale ahead of Pendles on the MVP
Then you can factor in pendles owns a number of AFL records, how much does longevity count
Cripps owns Brownlow record
etc etc
Personally I think Pendles and Neale are above Bonts and Cripps, at least for now

Bont - 1 Flag, 1 AFLCA

Cripps - 2 Brownlows

Cripps also has a MVP, so triple the amount of big awards than Pendlebury.

EDIT: just realised you didn’t include any MVPs. That makes them leave Pendlebury in the dust tbh.

I can’t see the difference between Pendlebury and Ollie Wines/Robbie Gray tbh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’ll be interesting to see whether any of the other three can provide what Pendlebury did in a grand final at the age of 35
It was pretty great the way McRae played him.
From memory there was a 2 Poss quarter and a 4 Poss quarter.
And then 11 possessions in the last quarter he was part of what made the difference.

What are we basing this off? who is the better player or who has had the better career?

Bont > Neale > Pendles > Cripps

I feel like Neale has improved his damage over the last 2-3 years.
I used to not rate him as high, I mean he once had 51 disposals against us and lost.

I respect Pendles more than anything & has been one of the Pies most consistent great players best traits are the professionalism & longevity.

They have all good careers let's be real, Carlton fans will hate me for putting Cripps last but like I said it's all close.
I think Cripps having no Premiership has to be rated last now he could still win won "hopefully not" haha

But there is still time for him. Pendles in all serious has probably the best career overall but Neale putting together probably the best resume.

I based my pick off, If I was drafting one of these guys as an 18 year old who would I take 1st, I'd choose Bontempelli to play 15 years at Essendon before the other 3.

Neale is like Pendles. Not particularly outstanding or spectacular, yet consistently brilliant and impactful.
Cripps is all grunt. Bont is class and grunt. All four are on a similar level, but the Bont has his nose in front.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Neale v Bont v Pendlebury v Cripps

Back