Rumour Neil Balme is not the Head of Football

In the wake of the Balme bad news, do you think Darren Burgess will be at the Crows in 2022?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The comms team were probably busy congratulating themselves over how well Tex's presser had played out in the media to notice.

Looks like Balme admitted to a conversation with the club last week and somebody at the Crows got excited and leaked it. This is where a competent communications manager would have reached out to the media and, off the record, managed public expectations. To allow it to grow and for Richmond to be the party to quash the speculation is a failure and one that should never have been allowed to happen.

These are the one percenters. The club needs everyone on and off field to pay attention to detail if they want to be taken seriously again.

I'm about done with the club. I haven't been a member for a few years and just feel like it doesn't represent something I believe in any more.

Not because we didn't get Balme haha. But the way it has been handled (not handled) is symptomatic and just more mounting evidence of an organisation in deep decline. It chooses to speak through B grade mouth piece ambassadors rather than directly engaging supporters.

Just more evidence we consistently recruit people who can't compete in their competition.

You can ask who was the last person we got to the club from a competitor that wanted to keep them? People say Betts. Not true, Carlton didn't want him. Prior to that? Thommo? Melbourne didn't want him. You have to go back to Darren Jarman. That's when we were last consequential as a football club.

We're just snake oily sales oriented now. We're comfortable with our market share in our town and we know how to hold onto our income in comfort.

I'll keep an eye on the boys, especially the Fog, but I won't be investing any time any more.

All the best you lot and up the crows.

It's been emotional 🙂

View attachment 1222122

If he really wanted to be here, we’d of been announcing him today, club needs to move on and stop asking him, 1st time rejected due to sickness, now h le has said no because his heart is with Richmond, he doesn’t want to be here and we sure as hell shouldn’t be asking him a 3rd time. Club needs to move on and find someone else with the experience.

who is that?

who has THE EXPERIENCE

The comms team were probably busy congratulating themselves over how well Tex's presser had played out in the media to notice.

Looks like Balme admitted to a conversation with the club last week and somebody at the Crows got excited and leaked it. This is where a competent communications manager would have reached out to the media and, off the record, managed public expectations. To allow it to grow and for Richmond to be the party to quash the speculation is a failure and one that should never have been allowed to happen.

These are the one percenters. The club needs everyone on and off field to pay attention to detail if they want to be taken seriously again.
Rubbish. There was nothing in the media at all! This is literally just an example of one person running with a rumour which then most posters decided to believe. Expectations were not set from the club . Threads like this should have never been created until confirmation

Silvers' integrity? He knew.

There is no way you can turn around Silvers' appearance on AA then Balme informing Silvers he wasn't coming then Balme informing Richmond then Richmond PR putting together an image of Balme with his quoted statement and Balme signing off on its publication between Silvers' appearance on AA and said publication.

All of that ex-publication would've happened during business hours today. If anything maybe Balme mercifully left Silvers some time to announce it himself before Richmond did.

Don't be so clueless.
How the **** do you KNOW he knew? You don’t. Stop making shit up. He may have known, but he may not have. But your instant go to is the Club ****ed up, so he must have known. JFC.

is Shuttleworth still our media guy?

I wouldn’t mind Olsen giving “ambassadors” Rowe, KG and Cornes senior a good clip behind the ears. Preferably publicl.

Surely it’s now obvious that Roo needs to decide between his Media and club roles their clearly not compatible.

Rubbish. There was nothing in the media at all! This is literally just an example of one person running with a rumour which then most posters decided to believe. Expectations were not set from the club . Threads like this should have never been created until confirmation
Of course it was in the media, a quick google will show you that if you look.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like Richmond are holding him to his contract.

I respect that. To often in the AFL contracts are meaningless.

Good on Richmond for making Balme stay till his agreed term ends.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Geoffa, we aren't forcing him to do anything. The guy is a 150+ game, 2 time premiership legend of the club. He loves the place. Maybe, just maybe he was happy to stay?

Blame isn't necessarily the right word, but if you think the Crows don't look at least a little silly after letting this play out in the media, providing no real commentary, only for the Tigers to pretty much take a dump on our heads, I dunno what to tell you

I like to think I'm reasonably pro-club, and we'll probably look back on this event and laugh in time (just like the Brouch compo fiasco last year), but right now we have some egg on our face

I agree, but I think you mean Balme, not Blame. ;)

Geoffa, we aren't forcing him to do anything. The guy is a 150+ game, 2 time premiership legend of the club. He loves the place. Maybe, just maybe he was happy to stay?
Yeah maybe.

But he is contracted too.

He admitted talking to us, so he did at least entertain the thought of leaving.

I respect Richmond for not allowing him to go. Too many examples in the AFL where a contract means nothing.

Sounds like Richmond are holding him to his contract.

I respect that. To often in the AFL contracts are meaningless.

Good on Richmond for making Balme stay till his agreed term ends.

It'll be the same with Burgess.

Yeah maybe.

But he is contracted too.

He admitted talking to us, so he did at least entertain the thought of leaving.

I respect Richmond for not allowing him to go. Too many examples in the AFL where a contract means nothing.

Well, the way it went was simply your club asked a question and Balmey responded. It was the second time Adelaide have approached him over 2 years. At least Adelaide are targeting quality people. He's 69 years old. What we don't know is i the has the energy or passion to rebuild another club. That may very much be a factor as well.

Maybe next time wait for something that's actually official.

We should have come out and said it's not official, but the egg is on posters in this thread who are now embarrassed and angry.

Surely we sack our PR guy over this.

And gag Roo, because he's an utter embarrassment.

Surely we sack our PR guy over this.

And gag Roo, because he's an utter embarrassment.
Wait - did we do PR about it?

Sounds like someone from somebody's camp let the word get out, and a few media folks decided to jump early with confirmation to win a Twitter medal.

We don't know how it slipped out or to who. But there will be a thousand other whispers reported as facts over the next couple of months, so if it bothers you I'd probably stay offline.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Neil Balme is not the Head of Football

Back